• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

outdoors MEAT!!! (warning: graphic, bloody hunting pics inside)

So I haven't been hunting in years. Too long. There are reasons why I haven't, not really going to go into them, but this year was the time to get back into putting some venison in the freezer.

All of the pigeon killing I've been doing helped, as I only shot the .35 I used this year twice.
Once to make sure she was still sighted in.
Once more to take the deer.

Clean shot, right through the lungs, absolutely shredded both but didn't ruin any of the meat.

Bessie didn't run far. Heavy arterial sprays coming out of both sides of her. She ran maybe 75 feet before falling. It was a good, clean kill, for which I am supremely grateful. The last thing I would want would be to gut shot a deer and have it suffer, or make a bad shot and have it live with the wound.

She was with a second year deer, I wouldn't have shot her with a first year offspring, but I knew that the one with her would be ok, and sure enough, the next day I saw it with the other mini-herd of deer that walk around behind my cabin.

Gutted her and brought the carcass home so that me and the Momster can butcher her (I don't trust processors, we do a much better job with the meat).

Soooo, deer tenderloins, maybe a few steaks, going to grind a large portion of her and mix it with some fatty pork, I like to use venison in stuff like meatloaf and tacos and sausage. Maybe some jerky, not sure yet.

She died fast and didn't suffer, and she's going to be well and truly enjoyed.

Long live the hunt!

good shot!!! didn't waste anything other than the ribs (minimal meat there) Decent sized deer should be nice and tender!!!!! Good Job and Enjoy it!!!!!! Good call on processing it yourself!!!!!!!

Pics of blood trail. Definitely a THP first. Congrats on the deer Skydiver. I too have been enjoying fresh venison lately.

Make it count and boil the neck!Don`t waste it.Great canned for the future.Still good shot .

hixs said:
Make it count and boil the neck!Don`t waste it.Great canned for the future.Still good shot .

Neck meat is always a go, as is the intercostal (between the ribs), but a lot of that gets ground up for mah dog.

Yes, I spoil the hell out of my dogs.

Back