• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Meatfreak 2013

With some delay I sowed last sunday, 24 february. First I had doubts to start at all since it was already getting late in season but with all the varieties (thanks to all the great people I traded with!) I wanted to try I had to give it a try
biggrin.png
Keep in mind that the list was over 100 varieties, so I trimmed it down a lot. I intend to keep the 2 strongest plants of each variety except for the Piment d'Espelette. Some seeds are already old like the CGN (±8 years), so I got replacements in case the have popped up in 2 weeks.

zaaischema240213.jpg

The first one to germinate after 3 days was the Coyote Zan White (C. Chinense). The rest followed quickly
IMAG2299.jpg

Now almost a week later 69% has germinated:

7-Pot Brain Strain Yellow 4/4
Aji Panca 3/0
Ampuis 3/3
Ancho 3/3
Bhut Jolokia Mustard F2 3/1
Brito's Mystery Peach F3 3/3
Bubblegum 7 F3 3/2
CGN 16905 3/0
CGN 22796 3/0
Chilhuacle Amarillo 3/3
Chilhuacle Negro 3/3
Chilhuacle Rojo 3/3
Chimayo 9/9
Chinese 5 Color 3/3
Coyote Zan White 3/3
Devil Serrano 3/3
Devil's Tongue White 3/0
Dulce de Espana 3/2
El Oro de Ecuador (PI 585244) 3/3
Elephant's Ear 3/3
Fish Pepper 3/3
Gochu 4/4
Green Chinense 3/0
Guajillo 4/4
Habanero Galapagos Isabella 3/3
Habanero White Giant 3/1
Jalabanero F4 3/2
Jalapeño Apache F3 3/3
Jalapeño Ciclón 3/3
Jalapeño Colima 3/3
Jalapeño Coyame4/4
Jalapeño Craig’s Grande3/3
Jalapeño Dark Red 3/1
Jalapeño Dulce 3/3
Jalapeño Farmers Market Potato 3/2
Jalapeño Fooled You 3/3
Jalapeño Gigantia 3/3
Jalapeño Goliath 3/3
Jalapeño Ixtapa X3R 4/4
Jalapeño Jalapa 3/3
Jalapeño Jalastar 3/3
Jalapeño Mammoth 3/3
Jalapeño Master 2/0
Jalapeño Numex Jalmundo 3/3
Jalapeño PS 11435810 3/3
Jalapeño Tajin 3/3
Jalapeño Zapotec 3/2
Jalapeñona 3/2
Madame Jeanette "Long Strain" 3/3
Maldivian White 3/3
Petenero 3/1
Piment d'Espelette 12/6
Puya 3/0
Rocoto de Seda 3/0
Scotch Bonnet "P. Dreadie Strain" 3/2
Scotch Bonnet Belize 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Foodarama 3/0
Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Indian Red 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Orange "Bahama's Freeport Strain" 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Papa Joe's Mkt 3/0
Scotch Bonnet True Jamaican 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Yellow x 7-Pot Brainstrain Yellow F1 3/0
Sweet Chocolate 3/3
Sweet Pickle 3/3
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow 3/0
Urfa Biber 3/3
Waialua 3/0

The ones in the bottom are mostly the Scotch Bonnets, so they are a bit hard to see on the photo.
IMAG2314.jpg

IMAG2315.jpg

IMAG2316.jpg

Bit to much Chimayo seedlings in one hole
IMAG2317.jpg

IMAG2318.jpg

I re-potted the Chimayo seedlings tonight, I will give away most of them.

Hey stephan, remember I said the Orange Blobs were growing slow. Well I repotted one in pro-mix and worm castings and it
is taking off. It did not like the Dr. Earth Seed Starter Potting Mix. I need to repot the other one. It is half the size.

Hey stephan, remember I said the Orange Blobs were growing slow. Well I repotted one in pro-mix and worm castings and it
is taking off. It did not like the Dr. Earth Seed Starter Potting Mix. I need to repot the other one. It is half the size.

Hey Linda! I remember them being slow growers in the beginning but that had to do with my choice of soil also. Used pure coco which they didn't like either. Looking forward to seeing them all grown up :) Thanks for the update.

I've got two Orange Blobs going. One of them is very fuzzy, almost as hairy as a goats weed. Anyone else?

The ones I grew were all very fuzzy with hairs on the stem and the backside of the leaves. Some got it later but it was there :) I liked it a lot, don't mind some hair if you know what I mean :P

I've got two Orange Blobs going. One of them is very fuzzy, almost as hairy as a goats weed. Anyone else?

My seedling lasted till yesterday. I went to look and it was dead. It had just been nice and healthy. It was stunted but alive. It wasnt hairy at all.

Its behind the tall one in the back with the white tag sticking out

B43E62B6-41C7-4F62-AC27-CF05ED3D2186-1957-0000023A92CA5C01_zps3cd3f367.jpg

My seedling lasted till yesterday. I went to look and it was dead. It had just been nice and healthy. It was stunted but alive. It wasnt hairy at all.

Its behind the tall one in the back with the white tag sticking out

B43E62B6-41C7-4F62-AC27-CF05ED3D2186-1957-0000023A92CA5C01_zps3cd3f367.jpg

That's to bad, Pia. Maybe try again next season, a lot of people are growing it. I almost killed a batch of seedlings myself last night due to my impatience. I wanted to re-pot the bigger and thought they had hardened off enough to the dryer air. Guess I was wrong when I started to re-pot, the leaves got soft. Luckily I got a couple of cold propagators and put them in. Just checked and looks like they have bounced back :shh:

I didnt plant all my seeds aaaaaaakhhhhhhaaaaa....... I will try again my friend

:lol: goodluck, Pia. Although it's getting later in season for Chinense, that never stopped me from trying anyway :D I re-sowed the Trinidad Scorpion Yellow for the third time today (different stock now). I need the variety for the cross I have in mind.

Hi Stefan, How are your babies growing? We haven't seen them since the 5th, and inquiring minds want to know... ;)

Very soon, Rick. I'm almost done with transplanting the younglings from the tray :) Some are growing hard and there's some that are Chinense :lol: I'm just glad my Pubescens have sprouted.

So, yeah like I said they are doing pretty good. It's easy to guess which ones I transplanted first on the picture below :) Still got a few left in the tray.

IMAG2381.jpg

IMAG2372.jpg

IMAG2375.jpg

IMAG2376.jpg

IMAG2377.jpg

Some of them are already branching out, will be removed as soon as possible because the plant is just to small. This season I wanna get them taller and less branching out so I can use the space in my poly tunnel more efficient (I will try to attempt to trellis all my plants). Also I don't crawl between a jungle when it's harvest time :lol:
IMAG2374.jpg

My only Pubescens, the CGN 22796, still need to transplant these.
IMAG2370.jpg

Then there's this Maldivian White, I accidently sowed 5 seeds all sprouted but 3 of them look like this.
IMAG2378.jpg

The other 2 are green. You would say it's the light but then why are these green and not purplish also?
IMAG2379.jpg

The 3 above look a lot like the Chinese 5 Color I got growing also. I know I did not mix up the seeds so, maybe the Maldivian White crossed or something? Will have to wait and see, now if only I had some patience.
IMAG2380.jpg

PS, PIC1, you asked me in your topic about the Purple leaves of the Madame Jeanette. The same thing happend here when I transplanted it, the leaves of the biggest got a bit purple on them. Pretty sure it's because of the light. You can see it at the second picture, the pot before the Jalapeño Farmers Market Potato ;)

Hi Stefan
I guess you blew the lid off with a bang! Great llooking pics of a truly ambitious grow. Best wishes for your continued success...

Hi Stefan
I guess you blew the lid off with a bang! Great llooking pics of a truly ambitious grow. Best wishes for your continued success...

Thanks, Rick. This will be my last ambitious grow, next seasons will be a lot smaller. The growth is good and now it's only hoping the :censored: snow and frost is gonna go away and spring will come. Last 5 years it was already around 15°C in March, now it's 0 to -10°C at night :snooty: Maybe it's a sign for a really good summer :party:

Man look at all of the babies! Looks like you're going to have your hands full Stephan. Hope you get the darker leaf thing figured out. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Man look at all of the babies! Looks like you're going to have your hands full Stephan. Hope you get the darker leaf thing figured out. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Yeah, Patrick. It appears the Maldivian White is an unstable cross of the Red variation, didn't know that. So that would be the reason for leaf variation, will be interesting to see them both. The new leaves have the same purplish tint on them :)

Amazing progress Stefan!
What kind of tent / grow lights are you using?

The growth is good and now it's only hoping the :censored: snow and frost is gonna go away and spring will come. Last 5 years it was already around 15°C in March, now it's 0 to -10°C at night :snooty:

Spring is late here too! Night temps still down to 2/5°C... and this year i'm forced to mostly germinate outdoors...

Good luck!

Datil

Amazing progress Stefan!
What kind of tent / grow lights are you using?
Spring is late here too! Night temps still down to 2/5°C... and this year i'm forced to mostly germinate outdoors...

Good luck!

Datil

Thanks Fabrizio :D

I've build a wooden frame with leftover last season and put black/white (plastic) foil inside for optimum light reflection. It's also very cheap and the black on the outside doesn't let the light trough. The frame has wheels so I can move it easily without any problems. The foil is a bit roughed up now but it still does the trick, got some idea's on how to improve for next season. The growlights I'm using are 2x 125w 6400K CFL from Plug & Grow. They work great and also give off some warmth. You can still put the lights pretty close to the plants but I want them to stretch and don't get all dense and bushy. Goodluck with your grow, let's hope the weather changes next month.

Back