• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Meatfreak 2013

With some delay I sowed last sunday, 24 february. First I had doubts to start at all since it was already getting late in season but with all the varieties (thanks to all the great people I traded with!) I wanted to try I had to give it a try
biggrin.png
Keep in mind that the list was over 100 varieties, so I trimmed it down a lot. I intend to keep the 2 strongest plants of each variety except for the Piment d'Espelette. Some seeds are already old like the CGN (±8 years), so I got replacements in case the have popped up in 2 weeks.

zaaischema240213.jpg

The first one to germinate after 3 days was the Coyote Zan White (C. Chinense). The rest followed quickly
IMAG2299.jpg

Now almost a week later 69% has germinated:

7-Pot Brain Strain Yellow 4/4
Aji Panca 3/0
Ampuis 3/3
Ancho 3/3
Bhut Jolokia Mustard F2 3/1
Brito's Mystery Peach F3 3/3
Bubblegum 7 F3 3/2
CGN 16905 3/0
CGN 22796 3/0
Chilhuacle Amarillo 3/3
Chilhuacle Negro 3/3
Chilhuacle Rojo 3/3
Chimayo 9/9
Chinese 5 Color 3/3
Coyote Zan White 3/3
Devil Serrano 3/3
Devil's Tongue White 3/0
Dulce de Espana 3/2
El Oro de Ecuador (PI 585244) 3/3
Elephant's Ear 3/3
Fish Pepper 3/3
Gochu 4/4
Green Chinense 3/0
Guajillo 4/4
Habanero Galapagos Isabella 3/3
Habanero White Giant 3/1
Jalabanero F4 3/2
Jalapeño Apache F3 3/3
Jalapeño Ciclón 3/3
Jalapeño Colima 3/3
Jalapeño Coyame4/4
Jalapeño Craig’s Grande3/3
Jalapeño Dark Red 3/1
Jalapeño Dulce 3/3
Jalapeño Farmers Market Potato 3/2
Jalapeño Fooled You 3/3
Jalapeño Gigantia 3/3
Jalapeño Goliath 3/3
Jalapeño Ixtapa X3R 4/4
Jalapeño Jalapa 3/3
Jalapeño Jalastar 3/3
Jalapeño Mammoth 3/3
Jalapeño Master 2/0
Jalapeño Numex Jalmundo 3/3
Jalapeño PS 11435810 3/3
Jalapeño Tajin 3/3
Jalapeño Zapotec 3/2
Jalapeñona 3/2
Madame Jeanette "Long Strain" 3/3
Maldivian White 3/3
Petenero 3/1
Piment d'Espelette 12/6
Puya 3/0
Rocoto de Seda 3/0
Scotch Bonnet "P. Dreadie Strain" 3/2
Scotch Bonnet Belize 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Foodarama 3/0
Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Indian Red 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Orange "Bahama's Freeport Strain" 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Papa Joe's Mkt 3/0
Scotch Bonnet True Jamaican 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Yellow x 7-Pot Brainstrain Yellow F1 3/0
Sweet Chocolate 3/3
Sweet Pickle 3/3
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow 3/0
Urfa Biber 3/3
Waialua 3/0

The ones in the bottom are mostly the Scotch Bonnets, so they are a bit hard to see on the photo.
IMAG2314.jpg

IMAG2315.jpg

IMAG2316.jpg

Bit to much Chimayo seedlings in one hole
IMAG2317.jpg

IMAG2318.jpg

I re-potted the Chimayo seedlings tonight, I will give away most of them.

meatfreak said:
I don't think they have a short shelf life because the seeds I used from the CGN 22796 were 10 years old. Sure they took about 14 days to germinate but they all germinated. I think your right about the pods being picked to early before the seeds are fully viable. I'm not gonna try them again since I didn't think they taste so great, it could be the specific variety but both the yellow and red one I tasted were like a bitter bell pepper. Not even a sweet taste or something.

Sorry to hear you weren't happy with the taste of the Pubes you grew this past year... I think it's either the variety or something about your local growing conditions that made them come out that way. Mine had notes of apricot and black beans in the flavor, and no bitterness I could detect. The texture is quite a bit different from most peppers, but that wasn't a turn-off for me either. Oh well... more for the rest of us eh? :)

stickman said:

Sorry to hear you weren't happy with the taste of the Pubes you grew this past year... I think it's either the variety or something about your local growing conditions that made them come out that way. Mine had notes of apricot and black beans in the flavor, and no bitterness I could detect. The texture is quite a bit different from most peppers, but that wasn't a turn-off for me either. Oh well... more for the rest of us eh? :)
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing since I read often that they should taste completely different from what I've tasted. Who knows, maybe a couple of seasons later I will give em a try again. It's a beautiful plant and I love it's growth/flowers :)

Stefan-
Hah.....when I see that tunnel , I always think, "oh hell yes, I could just....", then I think , "be careful what you wish for" :shh:

Those Mustard Jolokias look wicked, ...there I go again, out thinkin my fingers , "REALLY WICKED", :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ....how are they for taste?I'm looking for great greens to resurrect a roasted green sauce I used to make.

I rationed my likes here, LOL...or I'll run out again,again :dance: ...but that was quite a harvest. I wish I could have waist high beds come harvest time!

Have a good one-
DJ

Cheers, DJ!

Those Mustard Jolokia's were the hottest thing I've tasted so far. I only took an sliver and it hit me good. Stomach pains and such for at least an hour. Very, very strong aroma which reminded me a lot of the BJ Cappuccino and MadballZ 7 I had last year. So your typical Bhut taste I guess (never had a regular red bhut), very floral but with a fruity aftertaste.

Just stopped buy to say Happy Holidays, MF.

Enjoy the Christmas season to the max!

Stefan, I hope you and your family, with new addition are having a great holiday!  I look forward to following your 2014 grow.

Peace to you and yours!

Mike

Devv said:
Stefan,

I hope you and your family have a very special Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Scott

PaulG said:
Just stopped buy to say Happy Holidays, MF.

Enjoy the Christmas season to the max!

capsidadburn said:
Stefan, I hope you and your family, with new addition are having a great holiday!  I look forward to following your 2014 grow.

Peace to you and yours!

Mike

Thanks for the holidays greetings, guys. I wish you all the same, it's officially Christmas now over here :lol:

GA Growhead said:
Merry Christmas Stefan!

romy6 said:
Feliz Navidad mi amigo 

stickman said:
Hi Stefan,
   Just wanted to wish you and your family a Happy Christmas, with joy and health in the new year. Cheers!

maximumcapsicum said:
Happy Xmas!!!!

I'm gonna be lazy and multiquote all of you :lol: You all have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I will soon start my 2014 glog, putting the growlist together but it's not gonna be easy to choose  :think:

meatfreak said:
Yeah, I made a start with the list but I'm already over 60 varieties that I'm really interested in growing  :banghead: Had a good Christmas, just the 4 of us. Good food and enjoying the time off from work ;)
I already have 93 new to me varieties and still more on the way, plus what I want to grow again. I'm way in over my head. :crazy:
Glad Xmas was good. Family is where it's at!

Hey, Stefan, you and Jason are in a race to the top!
Good luck deciding what seeds to start.  In a way, not
having enough space might be a good thing   ;)

Happy New Year!

GA Growhead said:
I already have 93 new to me varieties and still more on the way, plus what I want to grow again. I'm way in over my head. :crazy:
Glad Xmas was good. Family is where it's at!
Your absolutely right about that, it's the reason I'm cutting back so I can spent the time I want at my family but still give the plants I do grow the care they need. This season I was slacking and it cost me in yield. Sure I had a big harvest but it could have been more ;) I'm really trying to not trade to much so I won't have to many new varieties but it's already getting out of hand again :lol:

PaulG said:
Hey, Stefan, you and Jason are in a race to the top!
Good luck deciding what seeds to start.  In a way, not
having enough space might be a good thing   ;)

Happy New Year!
I actually do have the space this time :lol: just not enough time in a day :D with both poly tunnels it would be possible to grow over 100 varieties. Maybe in 2015 or 16 ;) The seedlist for 2014 will change a lot during the next months. I'm gonna start somewhere around the end of February again. It worked out very well this year so no need to start so early. You have a happy new year as well, Paul!!

Back