• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Meatfreak 2013

With some delay I sowed last sunday, 24 february. First I had doubts to start at all since it was already getting late in season but with all the varieties (thanks to all the great people I traded with!) I wanted to try I had to give it a try
biggrin.png
Keep in mind that the list was over 100 varieties, so I trimmed it down a lot. I intend to keep the 2 strongest plants of each variety except for the Piment d'Espelette. Some seeds are already old like the CGN (±8 years), so I got replacements in case the have popped up in 2 weeks.

zaaischema240213.jpg

The first one to germinate after 3 days was the Coyote Zan White (C. Chinense). The rest followed quickly
IMAG2299.jpg

Now almost a week later 69% has germinated:

7-Pot Brain Strain Yellow 4/4
Aji Panca 3/0
Ampuis 3/3
Ancho 3/3
Bhut Jolokia Mustard F2 3/1
Brito's Mystery Peach F3 3/3
Bubblegum 7 F3 3/2
CGN 16905 3/0
CGN 22796 3/0
Chilhuacle Amarillo 3/3
Chilhuacle Negro 3/3
Chilhuacle Rojo 3/3
Chimayo 9/9
Chinese 5 Color 3/3
Coyote Zan White 3/3
Devil Serrano 3/3
Devil's Tongue White 3/0
Dulce de Espana 3/2
El Oro de Ecuador (PI 585244) 3/3
Elephant's Ear 3/3
Fish Pepper 3/3
Gochu 4/4
Green Chinense 3/0
Guajillo 4/4
Habanero Galapagos Isabella 3/3
Habanero White Giant 3/1
Jalabanero F4 3/2
Jalapeño Apache F3 3/3
Jalapeño Ciclón 3/3
Jalapeño Colima 3/3
Jalapeño Coyame4/4
Jalapeño Craig’s Grande3/3
Jalapeño Dark Red 3/1
Jalapeño Dulce 3/3
Jalapeño Farmers Market Potato 3/2
Jalapeño Fooled You 3/3
Jalapeño Gigantia 3/3
Jalapeño Goliath 3/3
Jalapeño Ixtapa X3R 4/4
Jalapeño Jalapa 3/3
Jalapeño Jalastar 3/3
Jalapeño Mammoth 3/3
Jalapeño Master 2/0
Jalapeño Numex Jalmundo 3/3
Jalapeño PS 11435810 3/3
Jalapeño Tajin 3/3
Jalapeño Zapotec 3/2
Jalapeñona 3/2
Madame Jeanette "Long Strain" 3/3
Maldivian White 3/3
Petenero 3/1
Piment d'Espelette 12/6
Puya 3/0
Rocoto de Seda 3/0
Scotch Bonnet "P. Dreadie Strain" 3/2
Scotch Bonnet Belize 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Foodarama 3/0
Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Indian Red 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Orange "Bahama's Freeport Strain" 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Papa Joe's Mkt 3/0
Scotch Bonnet True Jamaican 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Yellow x 7-Pot Brainstrain Yellow F1 3/0
Sweet Chocolate 3/3
Sweet Pickle 3/3
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow 3/0
Urfa Biber 3/3
Waialua 3/0

The ones in the bottom are mostly the Scotch Bonnets, so they are a bit hard to see on the photo.
IMAG2314.jpg

IMAG2315.jpg

IMAG2316.jpg

Bit to much Chimayo seedlings in one hole
IMAG2317.jpg

IMAG2318.jpg

I re-potted the Chimayo seedlings tonight, I will give away most of them.

Thanks for all the kind words, guys. Don't need to tell you the days are literally flying by, hardly any spare time on my hands. I still need to pick the plants and clean out the tunnel but my back is acting up also so that won't happen for at least another week. Luckily there's no frost anytime soon here. Here's a few shots of the tunnel from last week, it's a bit of a jungle now.

IMAG3504.jpg

IMAG3506.jpg

IMAG3507.jpg

IMAG3508.jpg

And brother and sister together. He's doing great, but would be nice if he slept a bit more during the night ;)
IMAG3502.jpg

Thanks for posting pics of your growing biological empire... That's a lotta pods backed up in the Hoophouse! Is big sister a bit jealous of baby brother claiming attention right now? The pic of the two together doesn't look it. Have a great weekend and take care of your back. You might want to look up Arnica ointment if you do the herbal thing. I've sworn by it for over 20 years.

Nice pic of the kids Stefan! Looks like big sister really loves her new brother, yes she may get jealous at times, but I bet she'll be a great help too.

And as mentioned above many ripe goodies in the tunnel for sure.

Take care of your back, you'll need it ;)

Have great and restful weekend!

stickman said:
Thanks for posting pics of your growing biological empire... That's a lotta pods backed up in the Hoophouse! Is big sister a bit jealous of baby brother claiming attention right now? The pic of the two together doesn't look it. Have a great weekend and take care of your back. You might want to look up Arnica ointment if you do the herbal thing. I've sworn by it for over 20 years.

Hey Rick, big sister is really sweet and good to her small brother. Sure she get's a bit jealous but that's quite normal :) She just needs to learn she's not the only one anymore. The problem with my back has gotten better, got a couple of treatments that really helped.

PIC 1 said:
Stefan, the plants look cozy in the tunnel...wow, so many ripe peppers !
Your kids also appear very comfortable.

Have a great weekend !
Hey Greg, thanks for dropping by :) Your bonnetxbrainstrain cross produced some big pods later in season, they looked a lot like yours (bonnet shaped with brainstrain surface). You would expect it to be a superhot but the one I tasted was even lower then your regular bonnet. Maybe it was a fluke, will have to try again once I de-seed the pods I just harvested. You have a great weekend!

Devv said:
Nice pic of the kids Stefan! Looks like big sister really loves her new brother, yes she may get jealous at times, but I bet she'll be a great help too.

And as mentioned above many ripe goodies in the tunnel for sure.

Take care of your back, you'll need it ;)

Have great and restful weekend!
Thanks, Scott. Haven't forgotten my promise to you about the BBG7. I will contact you soon to send you some seeds of it ;)

Although time is precious I couldn't let all those ripe pods go to waste, so before we had any serious frost I decided to harvest and clean out the tunnel today. A buddy of mine helped so it only took us 3 hours to harvest everything. Most of the pods were ripe or started to ripen, except the Baccatum's. Those still had a lot of green ones but I didn't wanna wait on those anymore. Besides all the ripe Jals there were still a lot of green ones left :D time to make poppers for during the winter and pickle the rest. I have absolutely no idea how much I harvested but it's a lot :lol: Don't think I'm gonna be able to de-seed them all before they start to get bad.

IMAG3536.jpg

IMAG3537.jpg

Quite a finishing harvest !..........time is precious and so are priorities, especially when it comes to family.

That's a great idea to get a friend involved. I hope he's a chilehead also...because he'd have much to appreciate

Good luck with the processing, poppers are great appetizers any time of the year. I've tried numerous methods to preserve the harvest. Dehydrating is by far the easiest to do. I see more folks making their own unique  powders nowadays.

My bonnetxbrainst was also less heat with most pods, although there were a few oily ones with heat that I deseeded. I'll give it another shot.

I hope your family is doing fine,
Have a great weekend !

ronniedeb said:
Wow. Nice harvest.
Thanks, ronniedeb!

romy6 said:
 Holy frijole Stefan . Now that is what I call a harvest my friend. Ever made poppers and then freezed them. Might be an option :fireball:  

Nice to your baby boy home with big sissy  :dance:
Cheers, Jamie. I did made some poppers last year but I did some things wrong, so I learned from that. I will make them again but hopefully good this time. Indeed freezing would be the plan :) Tomorrow and this weekend I'm gonna taste each Jalapeno variety separately before I process them. That way I know the differences between the varieties, taste and heat. I already know the size difference between them. Jalapeño Colima, Jalapeño Jalastar, Jalapeño Mammoth, Jalapeño PS 11435810 and Jalapeño Tajin have the biggest pods, therefore great for stuffing ;) The Jalapeño Tajin stood out with having both vertical as horizontal corking, haven't seen that before at any Jalapeño variety. Have a great weekend! 

PIC 1 said:
Quite a finishing harvest !..........time is precious and so are priorities, especially when it comes to family.

That's a great idea to get a friend involved. I hope he's a chilehead also...because he'd have much to appreciate

Good luck with the processing, poppers are great appetizers any time of the year. I've tried numerous methods to preserve the harvest. Dehydrating is by far the easiest to do. I see more folks making their own unique  powders nowadays.

My bonnetxbrainst was also less heat with most pods, although there were a few oily ones with heat that I deseeded. I'll give it another shot.

I hope your family is doing fine,
Have a great weekend !
I actually turned him into a chilehead this year, Greg :lol: He really has gotten into it and I gave him leftover plants earlier this year and of course a lot of pods from my harvests. He's gonna be growing them again next season so that's cool. I actually dehydrated a lot already for making powders, I have dried almost everything I pulled off the Mexican varieties I had growing this year. Gonna be making some nice powders once this harvest is processed ;)

About your cross, I forgot to say, it has all the flavor of the bonnet and brainstrain but not their heat so for me it's a winner! I will definitely grow it again and see what kind of shapes we get next season, I really liked those pods from earlier in season.

Hope your family is doing fine also, have a good weekend!

If you've harvested more pods than you can use Stefan... have you thought of selling them to some of your local restaurants? I did with my extras this year. Some paid with cash, and others gave credit towards their menu items. It's a thought...

stickman said:
If you've harvested more pods than you can use Stefan... have you thought of selling them to some of your local restaurants? I did with my extras this year. Some paid with cash, and others gave credit towards their menu items. It's a thought...
I have thought about it but there's no local restaurants over here that use peppers or these kind of peppers. I could offer them to a local farmers market but I suspect they would only buy the Jalapeno's since the fresh pepper market over here isn't that big (yet) like it is in the US. I'm gonna make up the balance of what I have and how many kg's today so I can see if I even wanna give them away for a couple of bucks, don't think they will offer even $5 a kg.

meatfreak said:
I have thought about it but there's no local restaurants over here that use peppers or these kind of peppers. I could offer them to a local farmers market but I suspect they would only buy the Jalapeno's since the fresh pepper market over here isn't that big (yet) like it is in the US. I'm gonna make up the balance of what I have and how many kg's today so I can see if I even wanna give them away for a couple of bucks, don't think they will offer even $5 a kg.
That's too bad Stefan... with the Dutch connection to the Spice Islands, I'm surprised you don't have (m)any Indonesian restaurants there... or are local tastes too conservative?

stickman said:
That's too bad Stefan... with the Dutch connection to the Spice Islands, I'm surprised you don't have (m)any Indonesian restaurants there... or are local tastes too conservative?
We're I live they are a bit more conservative indeed but I already made several people happy with parts of my harvest :)

WalkGood said:
Stefan love da pic of the children ... great closing pull \o/

Hab an awesome weekend!

Thanks, Ramon. You have a great weekend as well!

Today I sorted out the unripe Jalapeno's. That way I can do a separate taste test later and make a nice picture of all the different varieties I grew this season. Total weight of the Jalapeno's was 29lbs... Already gave away a couple of lbs but think I'm gonna need to freeze some for making sauce or something later :lol:
IMAG3563.jpg

All the varieties I grew this season from left to right:
Jalapeño Ciclón, Jalapeño Colima, Jalapeño Coyame, Jalapeño Craig’s Grande, Jalapeño Dark Red, Jalapeño Dulce, Jalapeño Fooled You,
Jalapeño Gigantia, Jalapeño Goliath, Jalapeño Ixtapa X3R, Jalapeño Jalapa, Jalapeño Jalastar, Jalapeño Mammoth, Jalapeño Master,
Jalapeño Numex Jalmundo, Jalapeño PS 11435810, Jalapeño Senorita, Jalapeño Tajin, Jalapeño Zapotec, Jalapeñona Red

IMAG3557.jpg

Some more peppers from the harvest.

Jalabanero F4 #1, the plant with the purple flowers.
IMAG3539.jpg

Bhut Jolokia Mustard F2
IMAG3544.jpg

Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Indian Red
IMAG3542SBINDIANRED.jpg

Scotch Bonnet Yellow x 7-Pot Brainstrain Yellow F1 (these look just like the ones you pulled of your plant, Greg) Very tasty variety and huge pods.
IMAG3547shyellowxbrainstrainyellow.jpg

Urfa Biber
IMAG3550.jpg

Back