• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Meatfreak 2013

With some delay I sowed last sunday, 24 february. First I had doubts to start at all since it was already getting late in season but with all the varieties (thanks to all the great people I traded with!) I wanted to try I had to give it a try
biggrin.png
Keep in mind that the list was over 100 varieties, so I trimmed it down a lot. I intend to keep the 2 strongest plants of each variety except for the Piment d'Espelette. Some seeds are already old like the CGN (±8 years), so I got replacements in case the have popped up in 2 weeks.

zaaischema240213.jpg

The first one to germinate after 3 days was the Coyote Zan White (C. Chinense). The rest followed quickly
IMAG2299.jpg

Now almost a week later 69% has germinated:

7-Pot Brain Strain Yellow 4/4
Aji Panca 3/0
Ampuis 3/3
Ancho 3/3
Bhut Jolokia Mustard F2 3/1
Brito's Mystery Peach F3 3/3
Bubblegum 7 F3 3/2
CGN 16905 3/0
CGN 22796 3/0
Chilhuacle Amarillo 3/3
Chilhuacle Negro 3/3
Chilhuacle Rojo 3/3
Chimayo 9/9
Chinese 5 Color 3/3
Coyote Zan White 3/3
Devil Serrano 3/3
Devil's Tongue White 3/0
Dulce de Espana 3/2
El Oro de Ecuador (PI 585244) 3/3
Elephant's Ear 3/3
Fish Pepper 3/3
Gochu 4/4
Green Chinense 3/0
Guajillo 4/4
Habanero Galapagos Isabella 3/3
Habanero White Giant 3/1
Jalabanero F4 3/2
Jalapeño Apache F3 3/3
Jalapeño Ciclón 3/3
Jalapeño Colima 3/3
Jalapeño Coyame4/4
Jalapeño Craig’s Grande3/3
Jalapeño Dark Red 3/1
Jalapeño Dulce 3/3
Jalapeño Farmers Market Potato 3/2
Jalapeño Fooled You 3/3
Jalapeño Gigantia 3/3
Jalapeño Goliath 3/3
Jalapeño Ixtapa X3R 4/4
Jalapeño Jalapa 3/3
Jalapeño Jalastar 3/3
Jalapeño Mammoth 3/3
Jalapeño Master 2/0
Jalapeño Numex Jalmundo 3/3
Jalapeño PS 11435810 3/3
Jalapeño Tajin 3/3
Jalapeño Zapotec 3/2
Jalapeñona 3/2
Madame Jeanette "Long Strain" 3/3
Maldivian White 3/3
Petenero 3/1
Piment d'Espelette 12/6
Puya 3/0
Rocoto de Seda 3/0
Scotch Bonnet "P. Dreadie Strain" 3/2
Scotch Bonnet Belize 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Foodarama 3/0
Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Indian Red 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Orange "Bahama's Freeport Strain" 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Papa Joe's Mkt 3/0
Scotch Bonnet True Jamaican 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Yellow x 7-Pot Brainstrain Yellow F1 3/0
Sweet Chocolate 3/3
Sweet Pickle 3/3
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow 3/0
Urfa Biber 3/3
Waialua 3/0

The ones in the bottom are mostly the Scotch Bonnets, so they are a bit hard to see on the photo.
IMAG2314.jpg

IMAG2315.jpg

IMAG2316.jpg

Bit to much Chimayo seedlings in one hole
IMAG2317.jpg

IMAG2318.jpg

I re-potted the Chimayo seedlings tonight, I will give away most of them.

Penny said:
Nice surprise for sure, looks like you'll be sowing seeds this weekend, ;)
Not yet, Penny. Gonna wait till the end of February. I've learned to restrain myself these past seasons :lol:

romy6 said:
 Always too many seeds and never enough time and space. Glad everything made it in one piece mi amigo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Amen, brother! Hopefully yours will make it in one piece as well :D

maximumcapsicum said:
Narrowing down seed choices is a beast. Good luck!
It sure is but I'm almost done with the final list :)

meatfreak said:
Your absolutely right about that, it's the reason I'm cutting back so I can spent the time I want at my family but still give the plants I do grow the care they need. This season I was slacking and it cost me in yield. Sure I had a big harvest but it could have been more ;) I'm really trying to not trade to much so I won't have to many new varieties but it's already getting out of hand again :lol:

I actually do have the space this time :lol: just not enough time in a day :D with both poly tunnels it would be possible to grow over 100 varieties. Maybe in 2015 or 16 ;) The seedlist for 2014 will change a lot during the next months. I'm gonna start somewhere around the end of February again. It worked out very well this year so no need to start so early. You have a happy new year as well, Paul!!
Maybe it's time to branch out and introduce assimilate family and friends to the joys of pepper growing collective. 
2a9ck8y.gif

Sawyer said:
Maybe it's time to branch out and introduce assimilate family and friends to the joys of pepper growing collective. 
2a9ck8y.gif
Good thinking, John. The wife loves gardening as much as I do but since we have two young kids, someone has to take care of them ;) I've got a buddy of mine into pepper growing and gardening in general last year. And when it comes to letting help... well I'm a bit of a control freak. I like the things done my way :lol:

maximumcapsicum said:
Good source of free labor...
Yeah, a buddy of mine helped out a lot last season. Especially with the last harvest.

I'm lucky to have such great friends, today I was blessed again and got 3 seed envelopes! I'm just glad the wife wasn't home to see all these new varieties :lol:

IMAG3672.jpg

Thanks to Jason (GA Growhead), Annie(annie57) and Mike (capsidadburn)!

Forgot to show this, but I got a neat Christmas present from my little sister.

IMAG3673.jpg

meatfreak said:
Yeah, I made a start with the list but I'm already over 60 varieties that I'm really interested in growing  :banghead: Had a good Christmas, just the 4 of us. Good food and enjoying the time off from work ;)

Over 60, that's still a lot.  Them pepper plants do take a lot of TLC, don't they. :D

Devv said:
Stefan, I know where you're coming from, time is always an issue with a large garden. Especially when you have extremes, always having to work the plants.

Good luck this season!
Thanks, Scott. You right about that, I love to work with the plants but you need to give them the right amount of attention they deserve ;)

roper2008 said:

Over 60, that's still a lot.  Them pepper plants do take a lot of TLC, don't they. :D
Hey Linda :) I've managed to cut it back to around 20 varieties now, I'm gonna stick to that no matter what. Just have to wait another year to grow out (a lot of) varieties I wanna try. Still tweaking the list a bit, need a good balance between usable varieties and the ones are just there for show because they are to hot ;) They do take a lot of TLC indeed! :lol:

With some delay I sowed last sunday, 24 february. First I had doubts to start at all since it was already getting late in season but with all the varieties (thanks to all the great people I traded with!) I wanted to try I had to give it a try
biggrin.png
Keep in mind that the list was over 100 varieties, so I trimmed it down a lot. I intend to keep the 2 strongest plants of each variety except for the Piment d'Espelette. Some seeds are already old like the CGN (±8 years), so I got replacements in case the have popped up in 2 weeks.

zaaischema240213.jpg

The first one to germinate after 3 days was the Coyote Zan White (C. Chinense). The rest followed quickly
IMAG2299.jpg

Now almost a week later 69% has germinated:

7-Pot Brain Strain Yellow 4/4
Aji Panca 3/0
Ampuis 3/3
Ancho 3/3
Bhut Jolokia Mustard F2 3/1
Brito's Mystery Peach F3 3/3
Bubblegum 7 F3 3/2
CGN 16905 3/0
CGN 22796 3/0
Chilhuacle Amarillo 3/3
Chilhuacle Negro 3/3
Chilhuacle Rojo 3/3
Chimayo 9/9
Chinese 5 Color 3/3
Coyote Zan White 3/3
Devil Serrano 3/3
Devil's Tongue White 3/0
Dulce de Espana 3/2
El Oro de Ecuador (PI 585244) 3/3
Elephant's Ear 3/3
Fish Pepper 3/3
Gochu 4/4
Green Chinense 3/0
Guajillo 4/4
Habanero Galapagos Isabella 3/3
Habanero White Giant 3/1
Jalabanero F4 3/2
Jalapeño Apache F3 3/3
Jalapeño Ciclón 3/3
Jalapeño Colima 3/3
Jalapeño Coyame4/4
Jalapeño Craig’s Grande3/3
Jalapeño Dark Red 3/1
Jalapeño Dulce 3/3
Jalapeño Farmers Market Potato 3/2
Jalapeño Fooled You 3/3
Jalapeño Gigantia 3/3
Jalapeño Goliath 3/3
Jalapeño Ixtapa X3R 4/4
Jalapeño Jalapa 3/3
Jalapeño Jalastar 3/3
Jalapeño Mammoth 3/3
Jalapeño Master 2/0
Jalapeño Numex Jalmundo 3/3
Jalapeño PS 11435810 3/3
Jalapeño Tajin 3/3
Jalapeño Zapotec 3/2
Jalapeñona 3/2
Madame Jeanette "Long Strain" 3/3
Maldivian White 3/3
Petenero 3/1
Piment d'Espelette 12/6
Puya 3/0
Rocoto de Seda 3/0
Scotch Bonnet "P. Dreadie Strain" 3/2
Scotch Bonnet Belize 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Foodarama 3/0
Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Indian Red 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Orange "Bahama's Freeport Strain" 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Papa Joe's Mkt 3/0
Scotch Bonnet True Jamaican 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Yellow x 7-Pot Brainstrain Yellow F1 3/0
Sweet Chocolate 3/3
Sweet Pickle 3/3
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow 3/0
Urfa Biber 3/3
Waialua 3/0

The ones in the bottom are mostly the Scotch Bonnets, so they are a bit hard to see on the photo.
IMAG2314.jpg

IMAG2315.jpg

IMAG2316.jpg

Bit to much Chimayo seedlings in one hole
IMAG2317.jpg

IMAG2318.jpg

I re-potted the Chimayo seedlings tonight, I will give away most of them.
I have seen a reference where a Peter Merle is responsible for the Brown Jalapeno and acquired them from an unknown source. Looking around on the web I see many different phenotypes of Brown Jalapeno. I am interested in your Brown Jalapeno as I have heard you may have been one of the first to create a Brown Jalapeno.

Back