• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Meatfreak's 2016 GloG

Later as usual, I started the 2016 tonight. Reason for this cause I'm growing out mostly crosses and I don't want to much yield (that I need to process :P) All in all I still ended up with 45 varieties and was aiming for 30... oh well  
icon_lol.gif
 Here is the list.

Bubblegum 7 White F-2
Bubblegum 7 White v2 F-2
Chiltepin Cappuccino
Chupetinha Orange
Gnarly White Habanero
MFPJ10 F-2
MFPJ12 F-2
MFPJ15 F-2
MFPJ18 F-2
MFPJ19 F-2
MFPJ2 F-2
MFPJ21 F-2
MFPJ23 #1 F-3
MFPJ23 #2 F-2
MFPJ24 #2 F-2
MFPJ24 #3 F-2
MFPJ25 F-1
MFPJ26 #1 F-2
MFPJ26 #2 F-2
MFPJ27 F-2
MFPJ28 #2 F-2
MFPJ28 #3 F-2
MFPJ29 F-2
MFPJ3 F-2
MFPJ30 F-2
MFPJ31 F-1
MFPJ32 #1 F-3
MFPJ32 #3 F-2
MFPJ35 F-2
MFPJ36 F-1
MFPJ37 F-1
MFPJ40 F-1
MFPJ41 F-1
MFPJ42 F-1
MFPJ43 F-1
MFPJ44 F-1
MFPJ49 F-1
MFPJ5 F-3
MFPJ9 #1 F-2
MFPJ9 #2 F-2
Numex Jalapeño Lemon Spice
Numex Jalapeño Orange Spice
Numex Jalapeño Pumpkin Spice
PI 441598 x BBG7 F-2
Pimenta Lisa F-4

MFPJ is short for MeatFreak ProJect. These are my crosses/projects. Think I sowed about 500 seeds in total, big numbers on the crosses to see the possible different phenotypes.

very cool, I've been tempted to leave multiple plants together and see what ultimately happens. will be following this to see how your season goes. Good luck!

meatfreak said:

Yep, that way its possible for me to grow out more plants, thus seeing more pheno's. They will live, just not such big yields but I don't need those anyway :)

Pretty smart move for pheno-hunting, i've done multiple plants in the same container in the past without issues (overall yield was pretty good moreover).

Cya

Datil

Devv said:
Keep it up brother!

I always enjoy your grow!
Cheers, Scott! Thanks to the weather is going a lot faster now :)

Meteora 360 said:
Wow, very interesting! How many plants are in the same container?! And how big will be the final containers?
FiresOfNil said:
very cool, I've been tempted to leave multiple plants together and see what ultimately happens. will be following this to see how your season goes. Good luck!
Up about 10 plants at max in the same container, these are P11. When they are big enough and ready for the poly I will plant them out directly into the soil. I don't grow in containers. There to will they stay together like this. I've been doing this for years but most of the times I kept it at 3 max. Last year I grew out some crosses to and put like 6-8 together. Most of the plants still managed to produce pods so I could see as many possibilities as possible. I do have the space to split them up but that would mean the plants will get bigger, produce more and I'm looking for yield this season.

Datil said:

Pretty smart move for pheno-hunting, i've done multiple plants in the same container in the past without issues (overall yield was pretty good moreover).

Cya

Datil
Yep it is, together you still have a good harvest from all those plants at the same spot.

Trident chilli said:
More photographs please ... awesome grow
Not much to show expect growth progress, John. Been seeing some interesting developments with the crosses now, meaning speckled/spotted colored leaves at an F3 cross. Excited to see if it continues in the new leaves as well.

stickman said:
Looking good Stefan! You beat me to the starting gate this season... ;)  Cheers!
Glad to see your back to! Hope you are doing better now :)

Some new pics today, plants are growing well but won't be ready for an early plant out I'm afraid.
20160416_193822.jpg

20160416_193838.jpg

White bbg mother OW plant is doing well to, seeing some small buds being formed.
20160416_193925.jpg

First strawberries are being formed, very early due to having a part growing inside the polytunnel as a test. It pays of but it's a lot of work in the summer as it's actually to hot inside and have to water a lot.
20160416_164217.jpg

Have been doing a lot of work in the garden again and this year I wanted to pave my pepper tunnel. Since it had been raining a lot, decided to do some work inside (mud pools outside). Here you can see the first border. The soil was rock hard so was like digging into stone lol. Anyway it already looks a lot better and will do the other side soon to of course. Between them will be 2 feet spacing and the path will be paved.
20160415_163200.jpg

nice concrete edging. did you add dye to the mixture to get that lovely color?

did you form it sequentially? moving formwork it after the concrete sets up, or form it all in one go?

your greenhouse looks lovely. do you have any pics of its construction or just some more detailed pics of the greenhouse in general?

Good idea with the paving, and so far it looks great! Lots of work eh? Remember the back ;)  Yeah, like I ever do..LOl

Fresh garden strawberries are simply fantastic, after screening ours off from birds and squirrels we got our first decent harvest this year. They're done already, but we're doubling the plantings for next spring ;)

meatfreak said:
Glad to see your back to! Hope you are doing better now :)

Some new pics today, plants are growing well but won't be ready for an early plant out I'm afraid.

White bbg mother OW plant is doing well to, seeing some small buds being formed.

First strawberries are being formed, very early due to having a part growing inside the polytunnel as a test. It pays of but it's a lot of work in the summer as it's actually to hot inside and have to water a lot.

Have been doing a lot of work in the garden again and this year I wanted to pave my pepper tunnel. Since it had been raining a lot, decided to do some work inside (mud pools outside). Here you can see the first border. The soil was rock hard so was like digging into stone lol. Anyway it already looks a lot better and will do the other side soon to of course. Between them will be 2 feet spacing and the path will be paved.

I am Stefan... thanks. :)

Plants are looking just dandy! Out of curiousity... what kind of Strawberries are you thinking of growing in the polytunnel? June-bearing or Everbearing? It might be worth it to grow the Everbearing Strawberries there, but I don't think so with the other variety.

Love the paving project in the Polytunnel! Will that help in any way... like adding thermal mass or something?

Take care, and Rock On!

queequeg152 said:
nice concrete edging. did you add dye to the mixture to get that lovely color?

did you form it sequentially? moving formwork it after the concrete sets up, or form it all in one go?

your greenhouse looks lovely. do you have any pics of its construction or just some more detailed pics of the greenhouse in general?

I didn't form it, they are separate pieces that are just over 3 feet long. So I had to line them up and had them level them properly. It's quite some work in the dry clay soil but I managed, still gotta do the other side once I finished some tasks outside first.

Devv said:
Good idea with the paving, and so far it looks great! Lots of work eh? Remember the back ;)  Yeah, like I ever do..LOl

Fresh garden strawberries are simply fantastic, after screening ours off from birds and squirrels we got our first decent harvest this year. They're done already, but we're doubling the plantings for next spring ;)
Thanks, Scott. Yeah I keep it in mind but so far I can't complain about the back lately. Been going to an osteopath on a regular base and it helps a lot. But yeah I just keep going no matter what.

We now just have to wait for the first ones to ripen but the weather has been quite cold so far. I'm good on the amount of strawberry plants, think we have close to 100 so... yeah :) Winter was mild but it kinda stayed that way up until now :/ we even had some snow today. Yet no frost during the nights so, thanks for that. I always put nets over it once they start to color, otherwise the birds etc. will eat them all before we have a chance.

stickman said:

I am Stefan... thanks. :)

Plants are looking just dandy! Out of curiousity... what kind of Strawberries are you thinking of growing in the polytunnel? June-bearing or Everbearing? It might be worth it to grow the Everbearing Strawberries there, but I don't think so with the other variety.

Love the paving project in the Polytunnel! Will that help in any way... like adding thermal mass or something?

Take care, and Rock On!

I'm already growing Everbearing in the polytunnel, Rick. They have kept giving strawberries up until December, sure they aren't the biggest like you have with the June bearing but good enough. It is a bit harder to keep them in good shape though since they don't root deep and the toplayer of the soil dries out quickly due to the heat in the poly.

Good thinking about the thermal mass! That was exactly the idea, no I'm kidding. Didn't even crossed my mind to be honest but it will suck up heat for sure and released during the night. Should be interesting to see the result this summer. The paving is more to keep out the weeds on the path and when I watered it always runs of so it became muddy. Also wanted to make both sides like raised beds.
Chinense vs Annuum growth difference, plants are going really well. Thinking of starting to hard of the Annuum soon as they are more resilient to cold and bigger already.

20160421_065836.jpg

meatfreak said:
I'm already growing Everbearing in the polytunnel, Rick. They have kept giving strawberries up until December, sure they aren't the biggest like you have with the June bearing but good enough. It is a bit harder to keep them in good shape though since they don't root deep and the toplayer of the soil dries out quickly due to the heat in the poly.

Good thinking about the thermal mass! That was exactly the idea, no I'm kidding. Didn't even crossed my mind to be honest but it will suck up heat for sure and released during the night. Should be interesting to see the result this summer. The paving is more to keep out the weeds on the path and when I watered it always runs of so it became muddy. Also wanted to make both sides like raised beds.
Ah so... maybe next year you'll put in drip tape or something similar.  :)

stickman said:
Ah so... maybe next year you'll put in drip tape or something similar.  :)

Yeah I'm planning on putting something like that in there for years but I keep on working on other stuff first. Perhaps next year will finally be the year but things are already becoming a lot easier and quicker to work. Been a while that I posted here but I've been spending almost every minute I had available in the garden these past months. Plants have grown very well without the use of my CFL, don't think I will use those anymore. It's just a lot less hassle and for the years to come I will focus on growing out my offspring so yield is not my goal.

Anyway, I decided to wait with doing the next border and paving first. I started planting out last week first and finished yesterday already. No trellising like previous seasons since there are multiple plants growing at a spot, they will support each other. Reason I only planted the first 2 rows is that I might be able to access the second row easier once the season progresses. 3 rows has always been a pain in the  :whistle: I can still do it later in season but I'm sure I probably won't knowing myself  :P

Chinense plants
20160526_203445.jpg

Annuum plants with a couple of Chinense
20160526_203457.jpg

Pimenta Lisa F-4, looks like I will have some variation again... hoped it would have been a bit more stable by now :(
20160526_203519.jpg

The tomatoes are doing well, planted out the last ones this week. Got some small tomatoes going already.
20160526_203245.jpg

Wow Stefan!!

Looking great as usual. Love the paving project.

I commend you on all the cross breeding. That's a lot of work and obviously a passion of yours.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Chuck

Back