• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MeatHead's Glog. Season 1 over-season 2 underway

Hi all. This is my first year growing peppers, started with only 2 plants, and that quickly grew to more lol. Only have 6 plants at the moment due to lack of space, but we'll be looking for a new place in the new year, so hopefully will have a yard available soon! All plants are Bonnie plants purchased from Lowes and Walmart. 

Sweet bell
20130915_170239_resized.jpg

Jalapeno
20130915_170226_resized.jpg

Orange habanero
20130915_170155_resized.jpg

Cayenne
20130915_170114_resized.jpg

And another jalapeno
20130915_170136_resized.jpg

Also have another orange hab, which I believe is actually a hybrid, 2 tomatoes and an eggplant. I've already learnt a lot so far, have been getting some decent hauls lately, and the plants are happy and healthy! Will definitely be getting bigger pots for next season though.
Seeing as I managed to successfully grow these peppers, I decided to plant some seeds I received from Seacowboy. Planning on over wintering the plants I've grown from seed to try to get a headstart on next years grow.
Successful germinations-Aji limon, fatalii, Brain Strain, yellow bhut, chocolate Trinidad scorpion and a Chinese 5 color for some added color.
20130915_170204_resized.jpg

20130915_170104_resized.jpg

If space allows next season will hopefully be able to add a few more varieties as well.

Looking good, Chris.  You might try putting some small lids (like a plastic gallon jug lid) of borax on top of the soil in the ant-infested pots.  I keep some around the baseboards of my kitchen and never have trouble with ants.  I would suggest just sprinkling some on the soil, but I don't know how the plants would like that.

I used to live just outside Lafayette (Erath) back in the '80s and I don't recall that it ever got down to freezing too many nights in a row.  No more plants than you have, you can probably successfully overwinter just by bringing them inside when it gets too cold and moving them back out when it warms up again.  If they're inside no more than a very few days at a time, I don't think you'd need to worry about providing light while they're inside.  (Just tell them it's been really cloudy.)  Of course, if you get an extended cold snap, this might not work.

Sawyer said:
Looking good, Chris.  You might try putting some small lids (like a plastic gallon jug lid) of borax on top of the soil in the ant-infested pots.  I keep some around the baseboards of my kitchen and never have trouble with ants.  I would suggest just sprinkling some on the soil, but I don't know how the plants would like that.

I used to live just outside Lafayette (Erath) back in the '80s and I don't recall that it ever got down to freezing too many nights in a row.  No more plants than you have, you can probably successfully overwinter just by bringing them inside when it gets too cold and moving them back out when it warms up again.  If they're inside no more than a very few days at a time, I don't think you'd need to worry about providing light while they're inside.  (Just tell them it's been really cloudy.)  Of course, if you get an extended cold snap, this might not work.
Thanks for the info on the ants. Pulled those earlier this week as I wasn't planning on OW'ing them anyway so no more ant trouble for now. Will keep that tip in mind though in case more come back. 
I've been here for about 4 1/2 years now, and most of the winter's have been pretty mild. Should be ok, unless for some reason we get a winter like my first here. Had an Arctic freeze move in, and the temps struggled to even hit mid 30's during the day. Hoping we can avoid that again this year. Though it would be great to see some snow again lol. Got a spare bedroom I can put the plants in if need be, and can get some shop lights from Walmart if it comes to it. 

Back