• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Megamoo's 2011/2012 Grow Log

Megamoo's 2011/2012 Grow Log

It's the 4[sup]th[/sup] of August and time to start a grow log. This will be only my second year and second grow log. Because I tend to go on and on talking about crap I will make a commitment to only post if there are pictures to post with it so it stays entertaining.

I've already germinated some seeds inside and am eagerly awaiting the end of winter so I can begin construction of my forest of chillies :D

Firstly a recap of what has happenned up to now.
Being bored in the off season I started three Jalapeno seeds in on 17[sup]th[/sup] may. One week later I got a hook.
babyjalapeno004.jpg

This got me gander up and I jumped in ;)

On 7[sup]th[/sup] June I soaked in chamomile tea and planted seeds of:
Jaimca Scotch Bonnet
Aji Amarillo
Aribibi Gusano
Congo Brown
Limon
Trinidad Scorpion
Peruvian White Habanero
Fatalii
Peter Pepper Orange
Cochiti
Bishop's Crown
Naga Morich
Red Bhut Jolokia
Choc Bhut Jolokia
Red Habanero
Hot Cherry
Cayenne Gold
"Mystery Pepper"

Two weeks after sowing I got this
seedlingswithnametags.jpg

5[sup]th[/sup] July planted some more after the same soaking method.
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Rocoto Peru Bitumi
Manzano Amarillo
Guampinha De Veadho
Scotch Bonnet TFM
Bahamiah Goat Pepper
Antillais Carribean
Topaz Chili
Fresno
Peppadew
Purple Tiger
7 Pot Brain Strain
Hungarian Yellow Wax Hot
Poblano
Bolivian Rainbow
Big Jim
Naga Morich
Asian Birdseye
Tabasco
Chilli Fiesta
Peter Pepper

Also trialled soaking 27 Gold Cayenne in different concentrations of acid.
The result was far from disaster but not good enough to excite me.

On 11[sup]th[/sup] July the older sprouted ones got a new fluro tube home on a shelf.
newgrow002.jpg

Red Bhut
Jamiaca Scotch Bonnet
Choc Bhut
Habanero Red
Mystery Pepper
Limon
Congo Brown
Trinidad Scorpion
Fatalii
Cochiti
Cayenne Gold

15[sup]th[/sup] July Soaked some seeds in Hydrogen Peroxide solution before planting. Left them in for a 14 hrs but the recommended method is only 5 mins... oops I chose seeds that I wanted more plants of and others I have had trouble germinating in the past.
Hot Cherry
Chilli Costa Rica
Bishop's Crown
Limon
Peruvian White Habanero
Asian Birdseye
TS Butch T
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Peppadew
White Labuyo

Had some hooks pop up and the older ones got bigger. Everything was going along fine...... until :O ! ! !

I had two separate jiffys with Peruvian White Habanero's sprout and then get some sort of disease and shrivel and die. They hadn't been soaked in hydrogen peroxide which could have killed a seedbourne disease, and so this time they all were soaked in H2O2. The other seeds are ones I've had limited to zero sucess with, and the last four are newly arrived.

I have taken apart my lights for the season so when these sprout they will go outside in a humidity dome
For what its worth, the Peruvian Whites were my hardest starters, ended up with 3.I figured they were just "damping off", but hell 8 of em?
They are throwing pods right now finally.Several others mentioned problems with these as well during germination.Makes me wonder...

I started a bunch of seeds and put them on a heating mat on a shelf and then got real busy for a week or two and forgot about them. A lot have sprouted and they are all super leggy cos there is no light there. :( I'm going to have to pot up and bury them to save them.
The plastic on my greenhouse has fallen apart so need to use a box or something. Also need to pot up little ones but finding it hard to be bothered now.

Since I last posted here I've experienced some kind of crown-rot on @ 5 of my plants (25% of them :( ) So, you're not alone in some misfortune my friend. On the bright side I've had some Pequin's sprout that took @ 3 weeks to do so. That cheered me up considerably as I can eat those w/ just about anything because they are supposed to be Scoville scale (100,000-140,000 units) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pequin_pepper. Hope your new plants pull through.

Also need to pot up little ones but finding it hard to be bothered now.
Go on. Even I'm potting up with what I have worth keeping so far.
one each of choc bhut, brainstrain, scotch bonnet and a bonda ma jaques.
SCdQN.jpg

There's a few others worthwhile too, but I'm going to take your lead and get cheap buckets for them.

Lovley weather we're having right now isn't it?
Raining and only 23C in November!

Pablo if you are going to use buckets you really need to get the mix right. The idea for the buckets sounded great at first but half of all my bucket plants have stalled at a tiny size and are yellow. They are now on the chuck list. I'm pretty sure the problem was the soil mix staying too wet, and not having enough drainage holes in the buckets. I made a lot more drainage holes, and elevated the buckets to air the undersides but it was too late for the worst ones.

For my next soil mix which will go into the vacated buckets I'm not going to use the coir-peat brick with the wetting agent added. I'll just use the regular one, and I will also use more perlite. When I ran out of perlite last time I tried to space out the mix with sugar cane mulch, which was all I had available. Now thinking back its not such a good idea because it will also act to hold water and not freely drain. Our weather hasn't been hot and dry enough yet for it to be of use.

I will take some photos when I can because half of the bucket plants are doing well and almost all of the other large potted plants are really thriving.

Is this enough drainage for them?
8x 10mm holes around the edge, and another 8 x 10mm holes underneath
u18QI.jpg

I also tore slots on the ring of the base, so the holes on the bottom can actually drain water away (without a fancy stand like you got :) )

7gKcg.jpg

I have learn all about drainage this year. Never use to have a plant last a winter in a pot. I used to chuck a plant in a pot with plain potting mix and they'd nearly always die.
Even this year, when I thought I knew something about potting mixes, and added perlite and got potting mix with less soil and peat in the mixes, I still did badly with all my first few plants because of so much rain they could never dry out.
I know I mentioned in this thread stuff vermiculite, water is my enemy, but I've mentioned in other threads, in winter I know I really need to up the perlite, and also use mainly terracotta until the constant rain we get here in Perth is over. Edit: I know I could put the pots undercover somewhere out of the rain, but guess where the ants and aphids are?!

I did the notches in the bottom rim like you have there and stood the bucket on a hard surface, and with bigger holes but it wasn't enough for them to dry out. That could be to do with my soil mix though. So then I went back and drilled more holes all around the sides where the lowest ring is. I was able to do this with the plants still in them so wasn't hard even with 27 buckets to do. The more air you can get flowing under them the better. If you look on Neil's facebook page he just sat them up on some wood offcuts. I'm about to post a bunch of pictures of mine but basically half of the buckets are going to be thrown out and half are doing ok. I don't think the buckets are to blame as much as other factors such as the soil mix.

Random photos in my yard

everything1501-1.jpg

Douglah

everything1526.jpg

I think this is an old tabasco

everything1525.jpg

Overwintered Aji Lemon sharing with some basil

everything1524.jpg

Aji Lemon pod getting sunburnt

everything1523.jpg

Jack Be Little Pumpkins

everything1522.jpg

Brazillian Starfish

everything1521.jpg

Topaz chilli

everything1520.jpg

everything1519.jpg

Bishops Crown is sending out bunch of buds

Very bad photo of tomatoes
everything1527.jpg

Poblano pod
everything1518.jpg

Big Jim
everything1517.jpg

My first new pod of the season was this Cochiti. The plant was so short I had to dig a little hole for it to hang in.
everything1516.jpg

It ripened two pods up and I used them in a salsa. Had some fresh and Couldn't detect any heat at all. :( I'm sure it would be different if plant was bigger.
sherk001.jpg

Thick stem of a Red Habanero. It is my best and most mature looking plant. It just started putting out some buds so think I'll get some good stuff from it.
everything1514.jpg

everything1512.jpg

everything1511.jpg

Limon has plenty of buds too.
everything1510.jpg

Most of my Butch Ts made great starts like this one. Wating to see if they can take it to the next level.
everything1509.jpg

Overview

Most of the ones on the shelves are doing great. Moved the sick ones on the benches to one end. They are about to give up their buckets and places to newer healthier seedlings and go to the great compost bin in the sky.
everything1508.jpg

everything1507.jpg

everything1504.jpg

everything1503.jpg

everything1502.jpg

everything1529.jpg

My first new pod of the season was this Cochiti. The plant was so short I had to dig a little hole for it to hang in.
everything1516.jpg

It ripened two pods up and I used them in a salsa. Had some fresh and Couldn't detect any heat at all. :( I'm sure it would be different if plant was bigger.
sherk001.jpg
I have a variety of Jalapeño that will produce zero heat if it is kept well/over watered. The parent plant produced heatless pods a potting mix with water saving characteristics. Two plants grown from its seed also produced zero heat bar one freak of a pod all season.

The flat bottom of buckets isn't good for drainage.

Did your Aji Lemons sunburn last season, Moo? My overwintered ones are doing the exact same thing and I can't recall ever seeing even one do it last season. The pods are also much fatter than they were last season too.

Hey Megamoo, have you ever considered the idea of throwing a Tarp over your shade house if your in for afew days/weeks of rain? Maybe even some clear plastic. I have a really nice garden bed that is full of weeds atm that I plan to use next season. I would have to have some kind of shade structure as it would get almost all of the days sun. I plan on making it so I can stop the rain from over watering my plants. It just rained here for 5 days straight and if my plants were in the ground I hate to think what would have happened.

Dang Moo talk about a roller coaster ride. I think you're on the right track though. Better drainage is a good thing to shoot for. Don't be shy with the perlite. Sometimes my mix looks like it's about half of the stuff.

Did you ever get around to checking your pH? You're right about the nutrient lockout so for your sake check it. Too much of any nutrient can have negative effects on others.

This was my second year using Chili Focus and I've found that the amount of the basic three nutes N-P-K in it isn't sufficient for good overall plant growth. This year I used a basic tomato/pepper fertilizer, something like 8-15-10 and had much better growth. Chili Focus is good at providing calcium and the micronutrients that all living things need though and I'm fairly certain I'll never grow peppers without it.

Keep at it Moo, you'll be swimming in peppers before you know it bro.

Did your Aji Lemons sunburn last season, Moo? My overwintered ones are doing the exact same thing and I can't recall ever seeing even one do it last season. The pods are also much fatter than they were last season too.
Yeah they did. The pod pictured gets full sun all day though. When they have shade from leaves or whatever they don't do it.

Hey Megamoo, have you ever considered the idea of throwing a Tarp over your shade house if your in for afew days/weeks of rain? Maybe even some clear plastic. I have a really nice garden bed that is full of weeds atm that I plan to use next season. I would have to have some kind of shade structure as it would get almost all of the days sun. I plan on making it so I can stop the rain from over watering my plants. It just rained here for 5 days straight and if my plants were in the ground I hate to think what would have happened.
I hadn't considered it because the problem has been too hot and dry weather so far. And wind. The walls of the shade house cut down the viscious wind. I did have the thought to put another layer of shadecloth up because in summer the heat and sun get nasty, and I have no natural shade from other plants. If we do get a downpour the sloping roof channels some of the rain away from the pots, and they are elevated so they are able to drain, if I got the soil mix right.

Dang Moo talk about a roller coaster ride. I think you're on the right track though. Better drainage is a good thing to shoot for. Don't be shy with the perlite. Sometimes my mix looks like it's about half of the stuff.

Did you ever get around to checking your pH? You're right about the nutrient lockout so for your sake check it. Too much of any nutrient can have negative effects on others.

This was my second year using Chili Focus and I've found that the amount of the basic three nutes N-P-K in it isn't sufficient for good overall plant growth. This year I used a basic tomato/pepper fertilizer, something like 8-15-10 and had much better growth. Chili Focus is good at providing calcium and the micronutrients that all living things need though and I'm fairly certain I'll never grow peppers without it.

Keep at it Moo, you'll be swimming in peppers before you know it bro.

I checked the pH and it came out normal which got me scratching my head again. I've been too heavy with the fertilizer in the past so I have backed off for a month..... however today they are going to get a nice foliar feed of Seasol and Powergrow, with some Bokashi liquid and GoGo juice. Might chuck something else in there too as I rumage through my cupboard. Today is for chucking the sick and potting up the new. Probably won't get much time for the garden till new year so I have to set up the retic and have everything as maintenance free as possible.

8-15-10 sounds a bit too much P if you ask me, but go with whatever works for you :) I'm still experimenting with ferts.

I've already posted a bunch of pictures but yesterday I moved things around and repotted new plants and chucked the sick ones. Just after these pictures were taken I gave them their first feed in a long time with seasol, powerfeed, silica, bokashi liquid and gogo juice. So I'm doing this post for reference so I can see changes in their growth from now on.

everything608.jpg

You can pick the newly potted up ones because of the perlite.
everything609.jpg

everything610.jpg

everything611.jpg

everything614.jpg

everything613.jpg

everything612.jpg

these are the sick ones that were given a final chance

everything615.jpg

These are the ones that weren't good enough to be potted up but weren't so bad they were binned.

Here are some tiny and unripe pod pictures. I had hoped to have more by this stage but the season aint over yet.

Poblano
everything607.jpg

Lots of Topaz for a small plant
everything606.jpg

Pusa Jwala snuck out a pod while still in its tiny pot.
everything605.jpg

Limon putting out!
everything604.jpg

Purple Tigers
everything603.jpg

Overwintered Tabasco in full sun and showing it a bit.
everything602.jpg

Overwintered Aji Lemon burnt brown by the sun
everything601.jpg

Brazillian Starfish. They are same colour as leaves but if you look there are tons of pods there.
everything600.jpg

Overwintered Hungarian Black always puts out meaty pods full of seeds, and withstands the weather well. I'll be giving some seeds of this one away soon so keep an eye out for my offer post. ;)
everything599.jpg

Black Pearl. Ate first ripe one off the plant yesterday. Nice little snack :)
everything597.jpg

...more

Jalapeno. First seed planted this season and been through all the dramas but has put out some small sized pods and is having a go. Had to discard three already cos of bug holes :(
everything596.jpg

Bought this plant and the soil mix I put it in is slowly killing it :( The photo doesn't do the colour justice, it's really bright orange.
everything595.jpg

Looks like things have turned @ for you since last time I looked at the thread. As they say in sports. "nice save" megamoo :)

Back