• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Metal Halide & HPS grow bulbs.

Call me lucky but I just got two 400 Watt ballasts for $15.00 each! Therefore I am switching to Metal Halide & HPS grow bulbs. Most of the forums I read about these types of light are for marijuana plants stating to use the MH bulbs for growing and the HPS bulbs for flowering. Has anybody tried them with hot peppers and if so how did they work?

You got a great deal. I have used a 400 watt MH bulb to grow plants overwinter. The light works just fine. I had it in the basement and it was the only light source there. Even though the HPS is better for flowering, I still got peppers with the MH.

You def got a great deal! I have a 400W convertible ballast and I've had awesome results with Agrosun Gold Halide bulbs.

Wow! Lucky!! A 400W ballast is usually at least $100. Check out the Grow Tech forum for more information about using them with peppers there's tons of information there!

I'm growing mine under just the metal halides, they work very well. I have been getting a pepper harvest all through out the winter, it has been very nice. If it wasn't for an outbreak of spider mites and thrips, my over wintered plants would be looking awesome. The seedlings that I started under the metal halides have been growing very nicely, they have are nice and compact.

One thing to remember is make sure you use the right type of bulb with what ever type ballast you have.

My bad I should have put this in the Grow Tech forum. Just one last question, how far away do you keep these types of bulbs from the plants?

LETS GO RED WINGS!

That would depend on how big your plants are. The bigger they get the more light they're gonna need - 18" should be a good distance. Point a circulating fan a little towards the bulbs, that should disperse the heat and spread it evenly around your room rather than have it concentrated on one part. I have a 600 watter and the bulb is housed in a cool tube. I keep it at around 2-2.5 feet and it works great. Your 400 watter should do just fine at 18 inches. Good luck!

Matt Berry said:
I'm growing mine under just the metal halides, they work very well. I have been getting a pepper harvest all through out the winter, it has been very nice. If it wasn't for an outbreak of spider mites and thrips, my over wintered plants would be looking awesome. The seedlings that I started under the metal halides have been growing very nicely, they have are nice and compact.

One thing to remember is make sure you use the right type of bulb with what ever type ballast you have.

Matt,

Can you post a pic of the seedlings as well as how old they are? I may - should type - MAY, as it depends on how well a store does this year, need to grow 1500 seedlings next year.That would mean I need to invest in some more lighting and I would like to get whatever is best for the dollar.

Mike

Back