• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mezo`s "super hots" Glog including the 'big' solar dehydrator.

The is thread with the humungous solar dehydrator. :D

solardehydrator3.jpg

G-Day, im Mez or Mezo & im new to this part of Australia having come from Perth (Western Australia) where growing chili peppers is so easy (except the heat).

I live in the border ranges in northern New South Wales (bordering Queensland) and its a mixed bag of temperate & tropical conditions, the summers are very hot, wet & humid, the winters are dry & sunny.

Average daily temps.

averagedailytemp.gif

And average monthly rainfall.

averagemonthlyrain.gif

Aussies reading this will already know this, but people in other country's probably paint a picture of Australia as a hot dry/dusty land but this is far from the truth, up north its full blown tropics with a wet season & 100% humidity (yuck). Down south its freezing cold & snow during winter, out west its a dry heat like in the Mediterranean & in the middle of Australia is desert country.

So im now growing for the first time "Super hots" and for a very important reason, whilst working away in Perth i had a double heart attack wich has left me permanently disabled, sadly they are unable to operate on me (bypass/stent) as its to far gone, so having worked all my life (Electrician) im now at the age of 45 claiming a disability pension & i hate not being able to work.

Now i take shovel fulls of dam tablets to keep my heart pumping & id rather not be taking any but right now there no option i have to take them or ill drop dead on the spot. After much reading i found out that cayenne powder has all sort of benefits to your health & well being, especially to your cardio vascular system. I had read that cayenne powder can stop a heart attack in its track & i put this to the test (twice) and yes it does work where the medication (Nitrolingual) had no effect.

So anyone reading this who spots a friend having a heart attack just flick some chili powder in a glass of water as fast as you can & get them to drink in right down, fast. It works within 30 seconds of drinking it & it saved me from two more attacks already.

So there's my life story in a nutshell & some sound advice on how to save a heart attack victims life.
And this ladies & gentlymen is why im growing "Super Hots" to make high heat cayenne powder for cooking to improve my circulation/remove fats & as a "just in case of emergency"

OK on with the first of my "Hots" the Bhut Jolokia, the reason i chose this was simple i just Googled "whats the hottest chili" and up popped the result, however further reading on the interweb i found threads from this forum & names like the Butch T, the Douglah & Brain Strain.

So ive ordered them from pepperlover.com after so many people gave such great reviews, Bhut in the meantime lets look at my Jolokia`s.

Bhut2.jpg

Bhut6.jpg

Must admit i just love the shape & color of these babies.
icon_mrgreen.gif

More soon,

Mezo.

Haaa, thats exactly how i described it yesterday Nee (24°C with a mixture of sunshine & drizzle) quite nice really.

Hey Conor the seeds (Florida Wild) had turned up this week i just hadn't been down to the mailbox, cheers mate i look forward to growing these as well.

Mezo.

Mez, great to hear! They are bloody hard to germinate. I'd wait until the weather was warmer. You got electricity yet?

Haaa, your joking, we have only been waiting seven months to get connected, what a bunch of pricks.
They said it could take a year (simple re-connection) and i thought he was joking, nah he was serious,

You can get connected in a third world country in days, but oh no country Australia is a year. ??

I will just wait till it warms up Conor, the seasons are quicker than an Australian worker.

Mezo.

Yeah, we find the winters here in Australia seem to speed by compared to winters in the UK.

My theory is that as winter in the UK means Christmas time / New year etc....people seem to focus on that event, but once it's over, the period between Jan and April is so slow.
Whereas here, you have Christmas, but you don't get that 'flat feeling' afterwards, as it's summertime and you're busy doing summer things....and when it does hit winter here, it's cool....as you're already half way through the year!!!
I dunno...maybe i didn't explain it very well, but the winters here feel so short compared to the ones in the UK!

Well realistically crap weather is for six months in the UK, and even when the "good" weather arrives it can still be a load of shit if you have a bad year like this one. I used to wheel my motorbike in the shed at the end of September & get it back out six months later April time?

I think the big difference i notice Nee is sunlight hours, to me UK winters are long because of the short days, if your lucky you will get six hours of daylight there, where here im guaranteed ten hours & that makes a big difference on the psyche.

Wake up & its freezing cold & dark, de-ice the car & drive to work with headlights on, come out of work & its already dark & then the drive home with lights on again, never getting to see daylight for months on end, depressing.

Mezo.

OK a little update if only to keep my own records up to date (dead handy these glogs are).

Last weekend i re-potted 60 of my healthiest Birdseye`s in to those tall tube stock planters i scored for free a few months ago. I have hundreds of these things growing in Jiffy`s but i though id be able to get an extra buck for them at the farmers market if they was a little more matured & in a nice pot, so picked 60 of the best.

They look a bit spindly/leggy as a lot of the leaves had been eaten by caterpillars & slugs and i have nipped all the crappy leaves off the plants but they will bounce back even more bushier.

birdseye.jpg

OK, from left to right i have sown some lesser varieties (again for the farmers market in a few months) starting with Cherry Peppers X 72, then Ben`s Hungarian Hot Cherry Peppers X 63, then fourteen Bishops Crown & fourteen Banana Pepper & finally sixteen Cayenne`s.

So a rough total of 240.

fm_seedlings1.jpg

These are what i like to term "loss leaders" and i will be also selling some Hab`s (have so many) plus dried chilli`s & fresh ones, chilli powder & possibly some seeds? Also were checking to see if we can sell livestock down there (ducklings & chicks) but not Lucky Ducky though as he is my lucky mascot, i should take a pic of him/her as he/she is in general population now roaming free.

Mezo.

Nice little update Mezo. Glad it didn't contain any new problems but instead new life! Your grow is so ridiculously big. You are doing a great job managing it all. Remember half of the sale is marketing ;) I like the idea of your pot up equals another buck method (I did the same....lol) I just recently had to do a major haircut on the garden myself. They will be hedges come a few months :)

Keep up the good fight Mez!

I just recently had to do a major haircut on the garden myself. They will be hedges come a few months :)

I went through the tent yesterday & gave them a second haircut Dave, i was being a bit cautious & left healthy leaves on but that was a mistake, the plants i stripped completely bare are sprouting loads of news growth & the ones i had been cautious with just sat there so i went nuts & removed all of leaves this time.

Im also going to prune back my big Bhut`s from earlier this year, i will go hard & remove every single leaf & promote a much bushier plant as i just let them grow naturally & they became real leggy.

Great update Mez... Glad to hear "Lucky Ducky" will not be on the market.
Sy

Cheers Sy, ill get a pic later on of Lucky B.

Mezo.

Well its nothing to do with Chilli (except Tom would eat the whole lot given half a chance) truly.

But he has a new set of feathers & decided to show them off this afternoon, and i got a couple of shots.

First Tom`s "buttocks" nice if your in to Animal Farm i guess?

tom1.jpg

3/4 way round.

tom2.jpg

And the full monty "look at me im gorgeous" says Tom.

tom3.jpg

I will get back to the chilli update later, with a Lucky B shot if i can find him/her (we have so many sodding ducks).

Mezo.

Hi Mezo, love the pics of your Peacock Tom. Out of curiosity... do you fish at all? Some of the most effective flies for fishing with have Peacock herl from the tail feathers in them. Show those pics to any Kiwis that fly fish and they'll be bugging you for feathers. I understand they do a lot of trout fishing in lakes in Tazmania too. Cheers

Haha, that's a lotta plants if they all germinate! Extreme....but we expect nothing less from you mezo! :)
Have you had much germ lately? I can't get anything going here at the moment, but it's probably for the best as I don't really have much more room indoors...but you know what it's like, there's always another variety to start isn't there!
Loving your multi coloured chicken! :D

Hi Mezo, love the pics of your Peacock Tom. Out of curiosity... do you fish at all? Some of the most effective flies for fishing with have Peacock herl from the tail feathers in them. Show those pics to any Kiwis that fly fish and they'll be bugging you for feathers. I understand they do a lot of trout fishing in lakes in Tazmania too. Cheers

Nah i don't fish myself, i lived in NZ for years & the ex GF used to go fishing for trout all the time at LakeTaupo & bring them home for me to cook.

Haha, that's a lotta plants if they all germinate! Extreme....but we expect nothing less from you mezo! :)
Have you had much germ lately? I can't get anything going here at the moment, but it's probably for the best as I don't really have much more room indoors...but you know what it's like, there's always another variety to start isn't there!
Loving your multi coloured chicken! :D

Had a Bhut sprout last week Nee, in the tent no special heat & the ones that i put in the day after you (months ago).

Beautiful bird,lot plants to germinate good job. :dance:

Thanks, Toms a bit lonely as a fox ate his girlfriend a few months ago, we will find him another.

Awesome looking foul you have there M! Tom's a beautiful specimen. We all need a break in the mundane in and outs of the chili life.... :shh: :party:

Its been a bit of a running joke round here King, every time Tom decides to do his feather thing we go running to take a picture & by the time we get the thing out, switched on, lens cap removed its all over & he`s looking at us wondering what all the fuss is about.

So yep i finally got the shot yesterday.

Mezo.

OK a few more "non chilli related pics"

Remember young Tess? not sure if i posted this pic earlier in the thread or not? but the first one is when we got her & the second pic i snapped today whilst taking ducks pics for an online advert.

dashboarddoggie.jpg

Tess20.jpg

She`s nine months now & very healthy (she eats better than me) LoL

And finally, the Lucky Duck.

Lucky.jpg

I had to put this pic in the online advert so nobody wants to buy him/her, unless its that hot chick again. :party:

Image32.jpg

Mezo.

Holy crap Mezo Birdseye festival going on at yours, your pup and ducks are looking good also

Yeah i know ive got whey to many Birdseye happening, but for a quick hit they are superb & they are so prolific, almost like a weed. My Hungarian cousin was down here last Saturday on my birthday & id given him some Birdseye plants to take back to Vegas a couple of months ago, id also given him a shit load of Bhut powder (thinking it would last him months) and he`s eaten the whole lot already. And so he has been living off the Birdseye for the last few weeks but i topped him up with more Bhut powder at the weekend.

I think cousin Zoli could easily eat his way through the fruit of thirty plus Bhut Jolokia plants without a problem? crazy shit.

Just dug out some snaps on me external HD of the Taupo Trout (again not chilli related but hey you could add some heat) ??

taupotrout1.jpg

The GF does the gutting & cleaning (of course)

taupotrout4.jpg

And i do what im good at "cooking the bloody thing"

taupotrout3.jpg

Look at that lads, mmmm.

taupotrout2.jpg

And i know what you blokes are thinking, fark Mez your ex GF is hot eh? of course she is i don't date any woofers.

Here is the lovely Kay eating,, wait for it,, more fish.

kay.jpg

And here we are at a wait for it,,,fish restaurant. LoL

mezkay.jpg

You guys are thinking, Mez you must be fucking mad passing that one by, even more funny she is an only child & her old mans a multi multi millionaire. LoL

And just one last shot of the ex GF (she will give me shit if she finds these pics) oh well LoL

KaY, when i first clapped eyes on her (had to go do a five knuckle shuffle after this) :party:

SmileyKay.jpg

Mezo.

Blimey Mezo...you look WAY different without the beard / facial hair that you posted earlier in your glog!

Back