• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mezo`s "super hots" Glog including the 'big' solar dehydrator.

The is thread with the humungous solar dehydrator. :D

solardehydrator3.jpg

G-Day, im Mez or Mezo & im new to this part of Australia having come from Perth (Western Australia) where growing chili peppers is so easy (except the heat).

I live in the border ranges in northern New South Wales (bordering Queensland) and its a mixed bag of temperate & tropical conditions, the summers are very hot, wet & humid, the winters are dry & sunny.

Average daily temps.

averagedailytemp.gif

And average monthly rainfall.

averagemonthlyrain.gif

Aussies reading this will already know this, but people in other country's probably paint a picture of Australia as a hot dry/dusty land but this is far from the truth, up north its full blown tropics with a wet season & 100% humidity (yuck). Down south its freezing cold & snow during winter, out west its a dry heat like in the Mediterranean & in the middle of Australia is desert country.

So im now growing for the first time "Super hots" and for a very important reason, whilst working away in Perth i had a double heart attack wich has left me permanently disabled, sadly they are unable to operate on me (bypass/stent) as its to far gone, so having worked all my life (Electrician) im now at the age of 45 claiming a disability pension & i hate not being able to work.

Now i take shovel fulls of dam tablets to keep my heart pumping & id rather not be taking any but right now there no option i have to take them or ill drop dead on the spot. After much reading i found out that cayenne powder has all sort of benefits to your health & well being, especially to your cardio vascular system. I had read that cayenne powder can stop a heart attack in its track & i put this to the test (twice) and yes it does work where the medication (Nitrolingual) had no effect.

So anyone reading this who spots a friend having a heart attack just flick some chili powder in a glass of water as fast as you can & get them to drink in right down, fast. It works within 30 seconds of drinking it & it saved me from two more attacks already.

So there's my life story in a nutshell & some sound advice on how to save a heart attack victims life.
And this ladies & gentlymen is why im growing "Super Hots" to make high heat cayenne powder for cooking to improve my circulation/remove fats & as a "just in case of emergency"

OK on with the first of my "Hots" the Bhut Jolokia, the reason i chose this was simple i just Googled "whats the hottest chili" and up popped the result, however further reading on the interweb i found threads from this forum & names like the Butch T, the Douglah & Brain Strain.

So ive ordered them from pepperlover.com after so many people gave such great reviews, Bhut in the meantime lets look at my Jolokia`s.

Bhut2.jpg

Bhut6.jpg

Must admit i just love the shape & color of these babies.
icon_mrgreen.gif

More soon,

Mezo.

D&*# Mezo, do you know how hard it is to find a woman who'll take her own fish off the hook? Did she clean out the innards too? My wife is a keeper, but she wants nothing to do with fishing. She says the parts that aren't dead boring are disgusting as H@##... :rofl:

Blimey Mezo...you look WAY different without the beard / facial hair that you posted earlier in your glog!

Im single so i don't give a shit anymore Nee. LoL

D&*# Mezo, do you know how hard it is to find a woman who'll take her own fish off the hook? Did she clean out the innards too? My wife is a keeper, but she wants nothing to do with fishing. She says the parts that aren't dead boring are disgusting as H@##... :rofl:

She was mad on fishing, anywhere we went she took her telescopic rod & sat there fishing.

cleaned & cooked fish? I thought that's a keeper... Oh well.
Thanks for the photos of Tess & Lucky D!!!

She caught & cleaned the fish & i cooked it (im good at cooking) not that she couldn't cook but im not really a big fan of Korean food.

Mezo.

She was mad on fishing, anywhere we went she took her telescopic rod & sat there fishing. She caught & cleaned the fish & i cooked it (im good at cooking) not that she couldn't cook but im not really a big fan of Korean food.
No shame in that... the world would be dead boring if we were all the same. Cheers

OK quick update, my plants that i removed all the leaves from (the bigger plants) have started new growth, but the aphids have moved to my juvenile plants. I spent five hours yesterday & three this morning removing the leaves from another hundred or so plants that were infested with them.

haircut3.jpg

My new seedling are popping up already, even though its zero at night & only 20 during the day im having good germ rates.
But as they pop out the aphids are jumping on them (on the day they sprout) ?? its becuse ive removed the main plants leaves & they are now jumping on anything they can find.

Germination26.jpg

tentgrow15.jpg

The Black Prince Tom`s seem to be OK, hardly no fungus/mold on them & i think its due to me opening up both ends of the tent to get some fresh air passing through?

blackprince27.jpg

Ive not been updating much as im running of a generator & its expensive with the gas, hopefully we get electric connect soon.

Mezo.

Mezo-
Been a while-had a busy few weeks off and haven't been on here much as of late......I gotta say I really enjoy going through this glog everytime...looks like things are swingin your way lately-cept for the "effing" electric company....they are the same EVERYWHERE. Long strings of expletives is all I got for em.That and dark thoughts about removing my flower for a bit... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
1. Lucky man you are-your lady is a real beauty-AND messes with fish???!!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:
2. Tess looks like quite a dog....Nothing like a good dog-my Yota can't kick over without my trusty dog Uno-she just won't allow it.She is a Jack Russell, and would charge an oncoming train to protect her FJ -then me-haha, she does love her "not a truck".
3.That peacock is awesome in the full monty shots, and good to see Lucky Ducky stayed that way!
4. I wouldn't wish UK winters on anyone(okay -there are a few deserving souls)....hmmm, I was gonna say except the utility folks...but that would just make em richer wouldn't it?
5. Aphids-I was worried when I stripped ALL the lower halfs of my plants because of these little mother fu.....ers.They laugh at soap when it rains every effing day.Good to know I can strip'em if need be...
I think really I'm an Aphid Rancher that has pepper plants as a feed lot.
Good luck with babies-thats quite a brood....and that electrical connection...
Have a good one-
Dave

Friggin' PITA bugs!

Broad mite have been jumping on my babies pretty much from word go. Just can't help themselves. But I have a secret weapon up my sleeve.... Neoseiulus californicus. Just ordered 2500 of the buggers. The suggested release rate is 10-20 per sq metre... I'm gonna be dropping that on each plant and then just throw the rest around the yard. If that doesn't sort the bastages out, I don't know what will.

Amazing you are getting great germ rates under those conditions... I'm getting shit all under ideal conditions ATM! I guess another great example of just letting nature do it's thing.

Thanks Dave,

Have you had to explain that flower on the gun thread yet? LoL

Mezo.

Friggin' PITA bugs!

Broad mite have been jumping on my babies pretty much from word go. Just can't help themselves. But I have a secret weapon up my sleeve.... Neoseiulus californicus. Just ordered 2500 of the buggers. The suggested release rate is 10-20 per sq metre... I'm gonna be dropping that on each plant and then just throw the rest around the yard. If that doesn't sort the bastages out, I don't know what will.

Amazing you are getting great germ rates under those conditions... I'm getting shit all under ideal conditions ATM! I guess another great example of just letting nature do it's thing.

I wouldn't be getting that success with superhot`s this time of year Gas, they are just plain old boring Cherry Peppers & Cayenne`s for the farmers markets.

Where did you order the Neoseiulus californicus & how much did you pay for them?

Mezo.

http://www.bugsforbugs.com.au/product/Californicus-spider-mite-predator

Actually, I lied. I haven't quite ordered them yet... I'm doing that tonight. ;)

$27 for 2500. Minimum order is $30 though so might grab a hand lens or something as well. Don't know what postage is at this point.

Are you thinking about giving some kind of predator a burl to take care of your aphids or just curious?

haha-no-...no explanation necessary.I really just used that because I don't have hardly any pics of me!
I have a few nasty "bio's to try on my critters....but I have to find a good chlorine filter first-I hate poisons.
Time to research Gasi's link...
Dave

Looks great Mezo everythings doing really well considering the cold nights, my little fishtank rigs a little less effective I think a lot of the plants this last month have been loosing there lower leaves, I'm not 100% sure but i'm thinking the nights are the coldest they have been this whole winter and the days have been warm so I'm guessing the temp drops alot a night and the heater isn't keeping up with the differential, hey gas have you figured out anything for the fruitfly? haven't got broat mites yet.. :D

Gnslngr shoots flowers for fun.. Bloody americans :P

hey gas have you figured out anything for the fruitfly?

My main concern ATM is getting the broad mite outta the way so I will even see some fruit! ;) Got a feeling they are gonna be baaaaad this season.

At this point I am thinking bagging individual chillies as they start developing. Traps might be another option on top of that but I have to read more into it. Something about only the males go for the traps and to effectively lure and kill females, you need protein baits (liquid protein plus a pesticide) and they require application to the plant. I will not use pesticides on my plants any more.

Like I said, I have to do further study though. I believe female traps do exist but they are apparently rather ineffective.

EDIT:

Here's a little bit of info:

http://www.bugsforbugs.com.au/library/fruit-fly-info

According to what they say, "(female traps) are usually of little value in commercial orchards but may be useful for domestic situations" but "require high maintenance". Might be worth giving them a shot after all (depending on costs). :think:

When I got them last year they smashed pretty much all my tomatoes which were heavily planted with basil around them so I was surprised that they got hit so hard, after that I started feeding any toms with stings on them to the chooks and removed a lot of anehiem peppers and bined them and since then I've let the chooks do a fair bit of free ranging to hopefully get some they may have made it to the ground, its interesting because I had an australian top end chilli plant and they never once bit any of the fruit from it so i'm not sure why maybe the fruit was to small for them

Man it was cold here last night, we got two lambs yesterday & i went to check on them at 7am & one was dead, frozen solid.

Mezo.

That sucks Mez... I can't wait for spring this is the coldests its been all winter and I think the other day was the coldest day in 4 years

We took the frozen lamb back to the seller, it shouldn't have died even with the frost (got a woolly jacket on) so he must have been sick, he gave us another one anyhow.

Its funny watching young Tess, she`s never seen a sheep before & cant stop barking at them, ive got them penned up in my old veggie patch for a few days to munch the weeds down (makes my job easier).

Mezo.

Wow, Meez, I've missed a whole season on your glog!
Well, not quite, but every time I'd go to the next page
thinking "I'll go and work the yard after I read this. Oh,
crud, there's still two more pages at least!"

Man, I'm not getting anything done. I won't wait so long again!

You have some great stuff going on on the farm, buddy; rural life
is nothing if it's not interesting! Good luck making a dollar or two
off your peppers, ducks, etc!

Keep up the good work, my friend!

Cheers Paul,

Managed to sell seven cockerels yesterday, ive been watching out for them & then penning them up separate to the others. Not sure why we had so many boys this time? but as they grew & started doing the "cock a doddle doo" thing i was nabbing them. I put an advert on Gumtree (like your craiglist) and sold the whole lot to one fella, its so much quieter now as were back down to our official six roosters, it was just to dam noisy & i was not getting much sleep.

I put in an order with Judy the other day for some more superhot`s that ive not got, Moruga Scorpion & Moruga Scorpion yellow and yellow brain strain & 7 pod brown.

Not much else is happening, still battling aphids, im trying to kill the ants now using RID the sweet stuff they take back to the nest & hopefully kill the queen.

More soon,

Mezo.

Back