• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mezo`s "super hots" Glog including the 'big' solar dehydrator.

The is thread with the humungous solar dehydrator. :D

solardehydrator3.jpg

G-Day, im Mez or Mezo & im new to this part of Australia having come from Perth (Western Australia) where growing chili peppers is so easy (except the heat).

I live in the border ranges in northern New South Wales (bordering Queensland) and its a mixed bag of temperate & tropical conditions, the summers are very hot, wet & humid, the winters are dry & sunny.

Average daily temps.

averagedailytemp.gif

And average monthly rainfall.

averagemonthlyrain.gif

Aussies reading this will already know this, but people in other country's probably paint a picture of Australia as a hot dry/dusty land but this is far from the truth, up north its full blown tropics with a wet season & 100% humidity (yuck). Down south its freezing cold & snow during winter, out west its a dry heat like in the Mediterranean & in the middle of Australia is desert country.

So im now growing for the first time "Super hots" and for a very important reason, whilst working away in Perth i had a double heart attack wich has left me permanently disabled, sadly they are unable to operate on me (bypass/stent) as its to far gone, so having worked all my life (Electrician) im now at the age of 45 claiming a disability pension & i hate not being able to work.

Now i take shovel fulls of dam tablets to keep my heart pumping & id rather not be taking any but right now there no option i have to take them or ill drop dead on the spot. After much reading i found out that cayenne powder has all sort of benefits to your health & well being, especially to your cardio vascular system. I had read that cayenne powder can stop a heart attack in its track & i put this to the test (twice) and yes it does work where the medication (Nitrolingual) had no effect.

So anyone reading this who spots a friend having a heart attack just flick some chili powder in a glass of water as fast as you can & get them to drink in right down, fast. It works within 30 seconds of drinking it & it saved me from two more attacks already.

So there's my life story in a nutshell & some sound advice on how to save a heart attack victims life.
And this ladies & gentlymen is why im growing "Super Hots" to make high heat cayenne powder for cooking to improve my circulation/remove fats & as a "just in case of emergency"

OK on with the first of my "Hots" the Bhut Jolokia, the reason i chose this was simple i just Googled "whats the hottest chili" and up popped the result, however further reading on the interweb i found threads from this forum & names like the Butch T, the Douglah & Brain Strain.

So ive ordered them from pepperlover.com after so many people gave such great reviews, Bhut in the meantime lets look at my Jolokia`s.

Bhut2.jpg

Bhut6.jpg

Must admit i just love the shape & color of these babies.
icon_mrgreen.gif

More soon,

Mezo.

Haaa, thats exactly how i described it yesterday Nee (24°C with a mixture of sunshine & drizzle) quite nice really.

Hey Conor the seeds (Florida Wild) had turned up this week i just hadn't been down to the mailbox, cheers mate i look forward to growing these as well.

Mezo.

Did any of these germinate for you? Not too many people growing Florida Wild this year it seems...

great photos Mez!!!

Cheers Sy.

Did any of these germinate for you? Not too many people growing Florida Wild this year it seems...

They sure did, thirteen big healthy plants which are just starting to pod now.

FloridaWild2_zpsb37c98f5.jpg

I forgot to post shots of these Brain Strains yesterday (brain fart) this is the first to start ripening because it gets lots of sunshine hours but its the one that suffers the worst with wilting leaves, i have to keep a close eye on this plant.

BrainStrain2_zps25b2d414.jpg

BrainStrain4_zpsc877e402.jpg

BrainStrain3_zpsb9bbb25e.jpg

Ive got so many Brain Strains (standard & yellows) and one monster plant, its so big ive had to pull it in the middle away from the wall as it was going flat on one side.

More soon,

Mezo.

Killer pods on that brain plant of yours... Are the florida wilds the same like a wild brazil or am I mistakin it for another similar plant?

Killer pods on that brain plant of yours... Are the florida wilds the same like a wild brazil or am I mistakin it for another similar plant?

I wouldn't have a Scooby Doo my friend? im guessing someone in the US would know the answer to that question.

Mezo.

Thanks Dave, i can post these as i uploaded them before they "Shaped me" its us lot sitting in the rain eating hot Steak Tartare.

The river the next day.

Zoli is my Hungarian cousin, he`s eaten chilli all his life & cant see what the big deal is. :rofl:

Mezo.
Hungarian paprika is spicy. Nice that he was able to visit. He the one who ate part of the red douglah? :eek: My hats off to him :beer:

Hey Dot Com (see if anyone spots the edit)

Yep that`s Zoli (Zoltan) he lived in the US for ten years before moving to Australia & got hooked on beef jerky over there, he`s finding it hard to get hold of hot jerky here in Australia, even one i had pointed out on ebay 'Micks Bhut Jolokia Hot Jerky' he said had no heat at all, he is the exception to the rules though as he`s eaten very hot all his life.

Guess its lucky for him im growing this lot. :party:

Mezo.

Great video update! It's much better than pictures to get an idea of whats going on. They are growing so well, nice and healthy, nice work.
Can't see but is there shade cloth above them or do they get direct sun?

Hey Moo & Gas,

Half are under the remains of the old tent roof, the other half are under the tree behind the van, so no they don't get all day sunshine but even still they all wilt on warms days, im racking my brains trying to think of how i can extend the grow area?

I could leave them to just grow but then i wouldn't be able to walk around watering them, ive got nowhere else that`s shaded & secure from the animals either, bugger.

Mezo.

I may just go plant these Florida`s in the wild, seriously down on the river bank or is that environmental vandalism?

I guess it would be if i was growing Gassy`s erm, Pumkins. :rofl:

Mezo.

Epic tale! Epic read!

What a story you've got us hooked on.

I'm getting ready to start my first pepper grow and this glog is the kind of inspiration that gets it under your skin.

I'd planned to build a dehydrator for my garden veggies this season -now I know what shape it'll take ;).

The pix are just fantastic as are the vids, I'm between cameras now and you have me rethinking things there too.

I've pretty much accumulated seeds and growing kit to get me started, and having finished all 48 pages, I can get my rear in gear and actually start cobbling something together to grow some peppers.

Thanks for all the posts. Keep those chilies battened down and keep your eyes peeled for that brown snake.

Best wishes
JJJ

Oh yeah, Your dehydrator + your over the top chilies + easy access to top quality beef = some jerky beyond compare.

Thanks so much for your kind words Jessee, you should really have your seedlings on the go by now (indoors) ready for spring. There are so many to choose from & it can get very addictive, i only started my glog a year ago (5th feb 2012) but it seems like ages now.

More than anything i find it a stress relief "pottering in the garden" as im sure do many other members do on, its a great community as well with people sharing seeds & stuff.

Glad you are enjoying the grow so far, the good bit is just around the corner.

Mezo.

I cropped a small harvest an hour ago, that`s the easy part then comes the chopping & de-seeding.

From the top (12 O`clock) going clockwise are Brain Strain, Naga`s, Douglah`s, Piri Piri & St Helana`s, Bhut Jolo`s, Orange Habenero`s & in the middle a couple of Yellow Fatalii`s.

Harvest1_zps2210172a.jpg

And my Morouga`s are turning yellow.

morougayellow4_zpscfb818cf.jpg

And the experiment, well the pot "with" has its first ripe pod, nothing on the "without" yet, pods but not ripe.

bhutjoloexperiment8_zpsddc2b317.jpg

Now to get chopping & drying.

Mezo.

I may just go plant these Florida`s in the wild, seriously down on the river bank or is that environmental vandalism?

I guess it would be if i was growing Gassy`s erm, Pumkins. :rofl:

Mezo.

Well, you wouldn't be able to blame Shakepeare:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/06/AR2009090602008.html

Back