• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mezo`s "super hots" Glog including the 'big' solar dehydrator.

The is thread with the humungous solar dehydrator. :D

solardehydrator3.jpg

G-Day, im Mez or Mezo & im new to this part of Australia having come from Perth (Western Australia) where growing chili peppers is so easy (except the heat).

I live in the border ranges in northern New South Wales (bordering Queensland) and its a mixed bag of temperate & tropical conditions, the summers are very hot, wet & humid, the winters are dry & sunny.

Average daily temps.

averagedailytemp.gif

And average monthly rainfall.

averagemonthlyrain.gif

Aussies reading this will already know this, but people in other country's probably paint a picture of Australia as a hot dry/dusty land but this is far from the truth, up north its full blown tropics with a wet season & 100% humidity (yuck). Down south its freezing cold & snow during winter, out west its a dry heat like in the Mediterranean & in the middle of Australia is desert country.

So im now growing for the first time "Super hots" and for a very important reason, whilst working away in Perth i had a double heart attack wich has left me permanently disabled, sadly they are unable to operate on me (bypass/stent) as its to far gone, so having worked all my life (Electrician) im now at the age of 45 claiming a disability pension & i hate not being able to work.

Now i take shovel fulls of dam tablets to keep my heart pumping & id rather not be taking any but right now there no option i have to take them or ill drop dead on the spot. After much reading i found out that cayenne powder has all sort of benefits to your health & well being, especially to your cardio vascular system. I had read that cayenne powder can stop a heart attack in its track & i put this to the test (twice) and yes it does work where the medication (Nitrolingual) had no effect.

So anyone reading this who spots a friend having a heart attack just flick some chili powder in a glass of water as fast as you can & get them to drink in right down, fast. It works within 30 seconds of drinking it & it saved me from two more attacks already.

So there's my life story in a nutshell & some sound advice on how to save a heart attack victims life.
And this ladies & gentlymen is why im growing "Super Hots" to make high heat cayenne powder for cooking to improve my circulation/remove fats & as a "just in case of emergency"

OK on with the first of my "Hots" the Bhut Jolokia, the reason i chose this was simple i just Googled "whats the hottest chili" and up popped the result, however further reading on the interweb i found threads from this forum & names like the Butch T, the Douglah & Brain Strain.

So ive ordered them from pepperlover.com after so many people gave such great reviews, Bhut in the meantime lets look at my Jolokia`s.

Bhut2.jpg

Bhut6.jpg

Must admit i just love the shape & color of these babies.
icon_mrgreen.gif

More soon,

Mezo.

OK, on my ever so slow connection ive uploaded some pics today, first is that curly Banana Pepper i showed a page or so ago. Well its turned red now? can anyone explain why its done this please.

Bannana3_zpsbeefdfe2.jpg

And my first Yellow peppers, Fatalii :dance:

That`s how it should have looked Nee. :rofl:

YellowFatalii1_zps2b35e981.jpg

These are my Yellow Morouga`s, should start to ripen any day & ive got stacks.

morougayellow3_zps5a6d11c6.jpg

Cropped the first lot of the St Helena Island Yellow`s

StHelenaYellow14_zps88f05072.jpg

Saved the seeds & they are now in the dryer.

StHelenaYellow15_zps7157e65c.jpg

More soon,

Mezo.

That not-banana pepper is awesome! Anyway, the Fatalii looks picture-perfect. I bet you can't wait for the Yellow Morugas to start showing their true color. Nice.

Thanks Doc, yep im so looking forward to some color this year, when i started posting 12 months back all i had was red Bhuts & a year later its all about to start happening, Yellow, Peach, White, Browns & a single red banana? :rofl:

Mezo.

Bananas and Hungarian hot waxes do turn red when ripe. That's ones pretty screwy.
the yellow morugas look sick! That's a good phenotype.

Bananas and Hungarian hot waxes do turn red when ripe. That's ones pretty screwy.
the yellow morugas look sick! That's a good phenotype.

Thanks GA i thought the morouga`s were looking right & you have just confirmed it for me, that curly banana had been stung so i chopped it open & there was no seeds inside? tasted the same though.

Just looked through your grow list, thought i had to many but i feel much better now.

Beautifully done Mezo peppers look perfect

Thanks Pia, not counting my pods just yet we could still get more tropical cyclones, heavy rain or hail yet.

Mezo.

Wow Mezo! Great pics! I read somewhere on here about curling. Not too uncommon in some varieties, the color though??? Hmmm, wonder who the daddy was? Your St Helena Island harvest and seeding shots are freakin beautiful! Great work with the camera my friend!

Shane

Stupid mantis should be eating aphids...not his foot. Geeze...even your insects are wonky down under! Nice shots brother! We bought the fancy DSLR this year for my daughters photo class, but I still reach for the Panasonic Lumix for some shots. The auto focus is tricky, but once you figure it out it takes pretty badass pics. I do want to get a macro lens for the big dawg and see what it can really do up close...but them damn thing are a bit spendy!

Actually, yours is the very camera they loan to students who can't afford to buy their own!

Originally (back in 2000) the camera was retailing for over $2000 but now you can get them off ebay for a few bucks, i got my 3rd one only two weeks ago for $36 & its hardly been used, its great for macro stuff & its got a swivel screen which i love, you can hold the camera exactly where you want to get the best shot & point the screen at yourself, much easier than trying to look at a fixed screen especially if its inside a chilli plant.

Mezo.

I have a 5 megapixel Panasonic lumix FZ-5 ... was my first good camera ... still takes great shots thanks in no small part to its leica glass ... I should bust it out for some macro shots myself ... in the mean time while I wait for the right time to get a macro lens for my DSLR

Nice shots mezo! You know that pepper seed extraction scene is neat........too neat......lol. Very nice. Where's the crazy pictures of hundreds of plants all stacked at different sizes and whatnot??

Things are looking good my friend. Glad to see that your yellow Morugas are actually looking like yellow Morugas. Every time I read someone meantion a; Brain Strain, Moruga, Yellow Moruga, Yellow Brain Strain....they look nothing like it...I don't say anything because I hate to be the bearer of bad news and most people will just argue that it is....but your's look true to me.

I will look forward to seeing the rest of you shenanigans from down under.

oh yeah and where's the ducky!!???

oh yeah and where's the ducky!!???

Hi Dave,

Sold Lucky Ducky, another little girl saw him & i let him go it was like this,,,, "but mummy i want Lucky Ducky"

I have a 5 year old 12 megapixel camera and I couldn't get shots like those!

Its just luck more than skill on my part, but importantly the right lighting conditions (i know that much).

Well here are my camera`s (all the same) the one at the back is fitted with a wide angle lens & a battery pack which can take six AA`s, its also easier to hold in your hand with the battery pack, ive also got a telephoto lens & a fisheye lens, a filter kit with hood plus a good quality speedlight.

CP50001_zps33c1e13a.jpg

CP50002_zps7b5d093c.jpg

But all the shots you see were taken with no special lenses, you can pick these up on ebay dirt cheap in the US.

Nikon Coolpix 5000 or CP5000, they are obsolete now & cheap as chips (old technology) the swivel screen is the winner for me.

Mezo.

Back