• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mezo`s "super hots" Glog including the 'big' solar dehydrator.

The is thread with the humungous solar dehydrator. :D

solardehydrator3.jpg

G-Day, im Mez or Mezo & im new to this part of Australia having come from Perth (Western Australia) where growing chili peppers is so easy (except the heat).

I live in the border ranges in northern New South Wales (bordering Queensland) and its a mixed bag of temperate & tropical conditions, the summers are very hot, wet & humid, the winters are dry & sunny.

Average daily temps.

averagedailytemp.gif

And average monthly rainfall.

averagemonthlyrain.gif

Aussies reading this will already know this, but people in other country's probably paint a picture of Australia as a hot dry/dusty land but this is far from the truth, up north its full blown tropics with a wet season & 100% humidity (yuck). Down south its freezing cold & snow during winter, out west its a dry heat like in the Mediterranean & in the middle of Australia is desert country.

So im now growing for the first time "Super hots" and for a very important reason, whilst working away in Perth i had a double heart attack wich has left me permanently disabled, sadly they are unable to operate on me (bypass/stent) as its to far gone, so having worked all my life (Electrician) im now at the age of 45 claiming a disability pension & i hate not being able to work.

Now i take shovel fulls of dam tablets to keep my heart pumping & id rather not be taking any but right now there no option i have to take them or ill drop dead on the spot. After much reading i found out that cayenne powder has all sort of benefits to your health & well being, especially to your cardio vascular system. I had read that cayenne powder can stop a heart attack in its track & i put this to the test (twice) and yes it does work where the medication (Nitrolingual) had no effect.

So anyone reading this who spots a friend having a heart attack just flick some chili powder in a glass of water as fast as you can & get them to drink in right down, fast. It works within 30 seconds of drinking it & it saved me from two more attacks already.

So there's my life story in a nutshell & some sound advice on how to save a heart attack victims life.
And this ladies & gentlymen is why im growing "Super Hots" to make high heat cayenne powder for cooking to improve my circulation/remove fats & as a "just in case of emergency"

OK on with the first of my "Hots" the Bhut Jolokia, the reason i chose this was simple i just Googled "whats the hottest chili" and up popped the result, however further reading on the interweb i found threads from this forum & names like the Butch T, the Douglah & Brain Strain.

So ive ordered them from pepperlover.com after so many people gave such great reviews, Bhut in the meantime lets look at my Jolokia`s.

Bhut2.jpg

Bhut6.jpg

Must admit i just love the shape & color of these babies.
icon_mrgreen.gif

More soon,

Mezo.

Mezo ya tough SOB. That problem your having doesn't sound fun, hope it all goes well. I'll say a prayer for your lower intestines buddy. Your grow looks beautiful. Lots of variety and lots of ripe pods. Glad to see those Super Scorps I got from Jeff are working out well for you. I haven't tried them myself yet.

Get well and KUTGF

Been blessed with some good harvests there, Meez!

I was down your way the other day. Travelling through Warwick. Where are you? About a 100 k's south of Warwick or something, isn't it? Couldn't be bothered travelling that extra hour or more to come see you though. :P

Been blessed with some good harvests there, Meez!

I was down your way the other day. Travelling through Warwick. Where are you? About a 100 k's south of Warwick or something, isn't it? Couldn't be bothered travelling that extra hour or more to come see you though. :P

Harvest always seems to come on late here Gas? im only hour & half from Logan mate, Border Ranges National Park.

The growing must have something to do with the temperate climate mixed with a sub tropical zone, and then being surrounded by mountains.

3076158035_43ed2ded45_z.jpg

3334172.jpg

MtWarning_9108_crNickRains_main.jpg

You need to get out more Gassy this is just one of the national parks right under your nose.

Mezo.

Freaking awesome pictures, man.

So I had a thought about your dehydrator. Take it as worth what you're paying for it. When the weather isn't conducive to solar heating, have you considered building a smoke box at the lower intake? The heat from the fire might enhance the drying. The chimney effect should help keep the fire going. And you get smoked chilies to boot. You'd probably get some soot build-up on the inner surface of the glass, so you'd need a way to clean that when the sun comes out again.

Harvest always seems to come on late here Gas? im only hour & half from Logan mate, Border Ranges National Park.

The growing must have something to do with the temperate climate mixed with a sub tropical zone, and then being surrounded by mountains.

3076158035_43ed2ded45_z.jpg

3334172.jpg

MtWarning_9108_crNickRains_main.jpg

You need to get out more Gassy this is just one of the national parks right under your nose.

Mezo.

Oh, I would have been taking the long way to yours then. :doh:

Too busy checking out QLD's national parks to have made it down to NSW yet. ;)

Nice Mez. Are you getting this filthy wind this Afternoon??

Funny you should say that Trippa, we just had a few big gusts come through (coming from the coast) & i had just said to Trish "think there`s a storm approaching?" nothing on the radar.

I think we dodged a couple of bullets to be honest (ex TC Tim & ex TC Sandra) hopefully that's it for cyclones for the year?

Mezo.

Know what gave me a hard on this week? wait for it,,,,,a motorcycle wiring loom that i won on ebay the other day, god is that sexy. :rofl:

$T2eC16ZHJGIE9nnWrPM9BRQNZDiyVQ~~60_12.JPG

Mezo.

Know what gave me a hard on this week? wait for it,,,,,a motorcycle wiring loom that i won on ebay the other day, god is that sexy. :rofl:

$T2eC16ZHJGIE9nnWrPM9BRQNZDiyVQ~~60_12.JPG

Mezo.

Yep, that's sexy alright...

what the @#$% is that?

Sy

nice harvest Mez... how big are those "Super Scorps"? I am growing them this year.

Mezo your plants look so lush and green and healthy I'm jealous! Do you foliar feed them stuff, or just in the soil? Sorry to hear your gut troubles, hope it gets better. Eat more chillies :)

Hell yeah, Mezo! Things are looking awesome. A kilo? Isn't that a thousand pounds?

Your little video was great. When I saw those Super Scorp plants from the seed I sent, growing, it made me plant a few of my own seeds. I've never grown them but figured that I should after seeing your beautiful plants.

what the @#$% is that? nice harvest Mez... how big are those "Super Scorps"? I am growing them this year.

Its a Yamaha wiring loom from 1983 Sy, hard to find in good condition.

The Scorps are just normal size.

Beautiful harvest.

Cheers, Doc.

Mezo your plants look so lush and green and healthy I'm jealous! Do you foliar feed them stuff, or just in the soil? Sorry to hear your gut troubles, hope it gets better. Eat more chillies :)

I only feed them fish & kelp now (all over the plant) the potting mix has slow release ferts & i add some tomato slow release granular fert when i pot them up.

pods look nice & ripe. You try a super scorp yet Meez?

Not yet DC, ive only got a pair of them & they are sitting on my desk still, last night we tried yellow Brain Strain, very nice.

Hell yeah, Mezo! Things are looking awesome. A kilo? Isn't that a thousand pounds?

Your little video was great. When I saw those Super Scorp plants from the seed I sent, growing, it made me plant a few of my own seeds. I've never grown them but figured that I should after seeing your beautiful plants.

Kilo (thousand) 1000 grams (or 2,2lb in the old money)

Yep were still to try your Super Scorps, last night was Yellow Brain Strain Judy describes of having a fruity pineapple taste, it did as well. :P
Different kind of heat we felt (different part of the pallet) and not so much of a head sweat but eye watering none the less.

The Bhut experiment is ready, im going to film the plants to compare size health & pod count, then we will have a taste. :fireball:

Yet to try the Choc Habs or them big fat Yellow Morouga`s also, still waiting on Peach Bhut`s, Indian Carbon`s, and the elusive 7 pod brown.

Mezo.

Freaking awesome pictures, man.

So I had a thought about your dehydrator. Take it as worth what you're paying for it. When the weather isn't conducive to solar heating, have you considered building a smoke box at the lower intake? The heat from the fire might enhance the drying. The chimney effect should help keep the fire going. And you get smoked chilies to boot. You'd probably get some soot build-up on the inner surface of the glass, so you'd need a way to clean that when the sun comes out again.

Ive been thinking as well, it would soot up the collector window or even melt it? (perspex) it would be easier to build a dedicated smoke house.

You could quite easily make this a cold smoker (tin can solder iron technique) and locate it above the collection windows but under the racks.

Thanks for the thought.

Mezo.

I missed (or forgot) the part about the collector window not being glass, so yeah, melting would be a concern. I, too, had thought of moving the firebox to the location you mention, but am still thinking of a way to use the heat as well as the smoke. Looking at some of your other pictures, that might not work for you due to flammability issues, but it's got the gears turning...

Back