• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mezo`s "super hots" Glog including the 'big' solar dehydrator.

The is thread with the humungous solar dehydrator. :D

solardehydrator3.jpg

G-Day, im Mez or Mezo & im new to this part of Australia having come from Perth (Western Australia) where growing chili peppers is so easy (except the heat).

I live in the border ranges in northern New South Wales (bordering Queensland) and its a mixed bag of temperate & tropical conditions, the summers are very hot, wet & humid, the winters are dry & sunny.

Average daily temps.

averagedailytemp.gif

And average monthly rainfall.

averagemonthlyrain.gif

Aussies reading this will already know this, but people in other country's probably paint a picture of Australia as a hot dry/dusty land but this is far from the truth, up north its full blown tropics with a wet season & 100% humidity (yuck). Down south its freezing cold & snow during winter, out west its a dry heat like in the Mediterranean & in the middle of Australia is desert country.

So im now growing for the first time "Super hots" and for a very important reason, whilst working away in Perth i had a double heart attack wich has left me permanently disabled, sadly they are unable to operate on me (bypass/stent) as its to far gone, so having worked all my life (Electrician) im now at the age of 45 claiming a disability pension & i hate not being able to work.

Now i take shovel fulls of dam tablets to keep my heart pumping & id rather not be taking any but right now there no option i have to take them or ill drop dead on the spot. After much reading i found out that cayenne powder has all sort of benefits to your health & well being, especially to your cardio vascular system. I had read that cayenne powder can stop a heart attack in its track & i put this to the test (twice) and yes it does work where the medication (Nitrolingual) had no effect.

So anyone reading this who spots a friend having a heart attack just flick some chili powder in a glass of water as fast as you can & get them to drink in right down, fast. It works within 30 seconds of drinking it & it saved me from two more attacks already.

So there's my life story in a nutshell & some sound advice on how to save a heart attack victims life.
And this ladies & gentlymen is why im growing "Super Hots" to make high heat cayenne powder for cooking to improve my circulation/remove fats & as a "just in case of emergency"

OK on with the first of my "Hots" the Bhut Jolokia, the reason i chose this was simple i just Googled "whats the hottest chili" and up popped the result, however further reading on the interweb i found threads from this forum & names like the Butch T, the Douglah & Brain Strain.

So ive ordered them from pepperlover.com after so many people gave such great reviews, Bhut in the meantime lets look at my Jolokia`s.

Bhut2.jpg

Bhut6.jpg

Must admit i just love the shape & color of these babies.
icon_mrgreen.gif

More soon,

Mezo.

Man, what a glog. Great grow you have going there Mezo. Really goes to show that you really don't have to spend a fortune to grow great peppers and I'm guess I'm going to be the next in line to look at building one of those Solar Dryer's so thanks for the links too. I be following how it goes.

By the way, how much cayenne powder do you take when you feel an attack coming on? Also have you have you tried any Grapefruit Pectin? My Father In Law is a doc and he calls it Drano for the veins as it helps to clean out the plaque build up and open them back up.

Cheers,
RM

Edit: Have you given any thought to trying to build a PV system to get some electric out there? For wheat yo have to run you could bet by on probably 3 or 4 pannels. Just a thought and with your knowledge and abilities as an electrician could be an easy build for you.

Man, what a glog. Great grow you have going there Mezo. Really goes to show that you really don't have to spend a fortune to grow great peppers and I'm guess I'm going to be the next in line to look at building one of those Solar Dryer's so thanks for the links too. I be following how it goes.

By the way, how much cayenne powder do you take when you feel an attack coming on? Also have you have you tried any Grapefruit Pectin? My Father In Law is a doc and he calls it Drano for the veins as it helps to clean out the plaque build up and open them back up.

Cheers,
RM

Edit: Have you given any thought to trying to build a PV system to get some electric out there? For wheat yo have to run you could bet by on probably 3 or 4 pannels. Just a thought and with your knowledge and abilities as an electrician could be an easy build for you.

Thanks RM,

We had looked in to solar & eventually will go down that road, but for now its cheaper just to get the power reconnected but there lies our other problem, the pole mounted transformer has sat idle for many years & has basically rusted out & needs replacing.
We are on the 'to do' list but it could take months before its sorted out, plus we need mains power right now for the workshop were building to run things like welders & compressors (farm machinery always needs fixing).

When ive had to use Cayenne i put half a teaspoon direct in my mouth on my tongue & then swigged down loads of water, it had an immediate effect (withing 30 seconds) and i felt fine after that, i mainly get problems on hot days i seem to cope with things when its nice & cool, may father had the same thing on hot days & he had a quad bypass at my age (45) and a triple bypass in his late 50`s then a few stents after that, so family history of heart problems (thanks dad).

Im guessing you have seen the videos on youtube of the guys eating these super hots, you see them change to a nice 'pink' color & start sweating, well that's a bit extreme but yep its doing its job the heart is pumping blood to every part of the body & with a heart attack that's what you need to happen.

As for the dryer, everyone should have one (electric supply or not) even when we do get connected again i wont be going out & buying an electric dryer this ones much better, holds more produce & cost nothing to use. I originally searched this forum to see how the other chilliheads were making them & to my surprise nobody had documented one, there must be others using them on a forum of this age & size surely?

Mezo.

Well today i checked the mailbox (mile down the road) and there was David`s seeds all the way from Illinois.

Here is David
photo-thumb-5557.jpg
and here is his smiley,,,,,
boss.gif

And here are the seeds he sent me.

davidsseeds.jpg

Mate thank you so much for doing that for me, the Hungarian Wax is one of the ones ive been wanting to grow (half Hungarian).

Stand up bloke just like Conor & thank you both.

Mezo.

LOL...I sent 3/5 King a load of "Super-Scorp" seeds, and (IIRC) Jam-Yellow seeds...I'd grin a big 'un if they went half way around the world!

Yeah but what ive been trying to find out,,what are 'Super Scorp`s' ?? obviously its a Trinidad Scorpion but whats with the 'Super'

Mezo.

That's the name I gave them. They came from our beloved Alabama Jack...he lives a short trip down the road from me. I bought a pound of fresh pods, and seeded them. He's been working on developing an improved version of the T-scorp, that is...and I hate to say it...*almost* TOO DAMN HOT to eat. It's a brutal chile...and I eat supers (with meals) all week long.

That's the name I gave them. They came from our beloved Alabama Jack...he lives a short trip down the road from me. I bought a pound of fresh pods, and seeded them. He's been working on developing an improved version of the T-scorp, that is...and I hate to say it...*almost* TOO DAMN HOT to eat. It's a brutal chile...and I eat supers (with meals) all week long.

Thanks for clearing that up, i searched Google to try & find it but nothing, i guess now by posting this the Google bot will pick up on "Super Scorp`s" and the name will become famous.

Its nice when there's a good story behind a seed,

Cheers,

Mezo.

LOL...I may have sent him those Savinas too...a personal favorite of mine. Who knows. I can tell though...half way around the globe...you are "my people".

When my wife and kids come to Australia...we're coming by for some BBQ and chiles...and beers. Lots of beers.

Sure, when you traveling? hire yourself an RV (best way to see OZ) got plenty of space to park up, right next to the river.

Mezo.

Not for a few years...but we have decided to go to Australia at some point...probably with our boys.

Hi Mezo!

Great thread :D

You said you're half Hungarian, that's why you were looking for the Hungarian Hot Wax? Well I went on a holiday to Hungary a few years ago and bought these dried chillis in a market in Budapest :

dried.jpg

I managed to grow the seeds last year :

1.jpg

2.jpg

POTAWIE thinks they were the Hungarian cherry pepper:

http://mygastronomy....ry-paprika.html

I'd be happy to send you some seeds if you'd like them. I still have a load of seeds left :)

Ben.

Hi Mezo,

Congratulations, you have a great log, in the last couple of weeks it was one of the reasons I was logging in THP. :fireball:
The idea of making a solar dehydrator is very interesting, and to be honest I have already shown it to my friends, who also like the idea, and we all agree you did a great job in practice as well.
What is the approx capacity of your dehydrator? From the pics it seems to be pretty big, in which you may put kilos of peppers.
Aparting making sauces, drying them is the best way to preserve peppers, and here in Hungary we are using pepper powders (both pungent and non-pungent) for adding some flavour and colour to the dishes.
This year I (in fact my parents :P )am going to plant a special and traditional Hungarian pepper (planning to have more than a 100 plants), which we are growing exclusively for making powder for food colouring/flavouring. I have a food dehydrator, which runs at 250W, but it is suitable for only small quantities, and since electricity costs a lot, this solar dryer idea is pretty handy for me.
Keep us posted, and good luck with your peppers!
If you need some more Hungarian pepper types, just drop me a PM and I am going to send you some. (pungent, non-pungent, sweet for stuffing, hot for stuffing)

Balázs

Hi Mezo!

Great thread :D

You said you're half Hungarian, that's why you were looking for the Hungarian Hot Wax? Well I went on a holiday to Hungary a few years ago and bought these dried chillis in a market in Budapest :

dried.jpg

I managed to grow the seeds last year :

1.jpg

2.jpg

POTAWIE thinks they were the Hungarian cherry pepper:

http://mygastronomy....ry-paprika.html

I'd be happy to send you some seeds if you'd like them. I still have a load of seeds left :)

Ben.

Hi Ben,

Cherry peppers are one of my favourites, good to see others are dealing with them, too. Last year my parents grew them, and I swear to God, they were nearly on heat level of an average Habanero. :fireball:
If I may give you an advice, the best way to use these peppers is to pickle them, you should try them this way too. Regarding the linked artickle, paprika powder is not really made of them, but it is maybe worth to try :onfire:

Balázs

Hi Mezo! Great thread :D You said you're half Hungarian, that's why you were looking for the Hungarian Hot Wax? Well I went on a holiday to Hungary a few years ago and bought these dried chillis in a market in Budapest POTAWIE thinks they were the Hungarian cherry pepper: I'd be happy to send you some seeds if you'd like them. I still have a load of seeds left :) Ben.

Hi Ben,

These Cherry Peppers, are they hot or very mild? my friend here got some things called "Chilli Balls" or as Woolworth`s called them "Ball Chilli`s" i asked the question on here for there real name & a few guys said they are known around the world as "Cherry Pepper`s" but i am sure the Hungarian version is hotter? here is a picture of the ones we got from the supermarket, we dried the seeds & are now in Jiffy`s but no sign of life as yet? which is unusual? these tasted very mild (500-1500 SHU)

Apparently they are good for stuffing & roasting so im told?

chilliballs.jpg

But id love to try some of yours please, yours are the real McKoy direct form Hungary,
and yes im Half Hungarian (father) and an English mum (i was born in England).

I will PM you my address, thank you very much.

Mezo.

Hi Mezo, Congratulations, you have a great log, in the last couple of weeks it was one of the reasons I was logging in THP. :fireball: The idea of making a solar dehydrator is very interesting, and to be honest I have already shown it to my friends, who also like the idea, and we all agree you did a great job in practice as well. What is the approx capacity of your dehydrator? From the pics it seems to be pretty big, in which you may put kilos of peppers. Aparting making sauces, drying them is the best way to preserve peppers, and here in Hungary we are using pepper powders (both pungent and non-pungent) for adding some flavour and colour to the dishes. This year I (in fact my parents :P )am going to plant a special and traditional Hungarian pepper (planning to have more than a 100 plants), which we are growing exclusively for making powder for food colouring/flavouring. I have a food dehydrator, which runs at 250W, but it is suitable for only small quantities, and since electricity costs a lot, this solar dryer idea is pretty handy for me. Keep us posted, and good luck with your peppers! If you need some more Hungarian pepper types, just drop me a PM and I am going to send you some. (pungent, non-pungent, sweet for stuffing, hot for stuffing) Balázs

Helló Balázs.

The dryers capacity (at the moment) is eight 500mm x 500mm racks, so eight square meters with 100m spacing in between, i could double that to 16 racks with 50mm gaps in between but not sure how efficient it would be then? to much? not sure.

You could fit a lot of peppers in here (i intend to later in the year) kilo`s of lovely peppers. And Hungary is a place where one of these would work very well (the right climate) so yes start building one right now for summer. I would love some Hungarian pepper seeds direct form Hungary for sure, my Hungarian cousin Zoli here eats them every day.

I made him Eggs Benedict one morning, he sat down with a chilli on the side of his plate, i said you cannot eat Eggs Benedict & a chilli pepper?? and in his Hungarian voice he replied "Vhy not? i like chilli pepper" :D

EB3.jpg

So thank you Balázs & Ben for your kind offer of Hungarian seeds, offer greatly accepted.

Egészségedre :cheers:

Mezo.

Well after replying to you guys i went in to check progress on my seedlings & my "Ball Chilli`s" or "Cherry Peppers" have actually sprung in to life overnight, i thought they should be peeking through anytime now & they have.

Ive got eight more Bhut Jolokia`s popped up in my redneck heat mat/propagator as well so that makes 13 in total from that.

So after watering everything i turned the dryer facing the sun to get it warmed up & then cropped all the red Bhuts off my plants,
ive still got about the same amount to come off in a few more days (still a bit orange).

bhutcropthree.jpg

bhutcropthree1.jpg

Still have not managed to fill a rack fully yet, there was more room on this rack for a few more.

sundriedbhutjolokia4.jpg

sundriedbhutjolokia3.jpg

And you can see from this pic the 100mm gap between rack, could easily fit another in between each rack.

sundriedbhutjolokia5.jpg

And hey Sy, forgot to say "G-Day" glad you like reading the Glog.

Mezo.

Dont worry that gets put in the bag later, i dry that out normally in the tent & the seeds fall off & then the placenta goes in the baggie in a week. Just didnt want to cook the seeds while drying them, not sue if they are viable after a week in the dryer reaching 50 degrees c ?

Mezo.

:drooling:

Whatcha do with all that placenta from inside the bhuts? Could make some XXXtra mean powder with that :think: :fire:

Thanks for the info Balázs! :) I'll have to try pickling some.

Mezo PM your address and I'll post them asap. The peppers are not hot hot, but still hot, much hotter than 500-1500 SHU. The cherry peppers you show seem more trapezoidal, mine were very round. I'll send you plenty of seeds as I'm not sure what the germination rates are now, but using the paper towel method you should get plenty of goers :D

Please keep an eye on Tom, he's up to no good...

Ben.

Thanks for the info Balázs! :) I'll have to try pickling some.

Mezo PM your address and I'll post them asap. The peppers are not hot hot, but still hot, much hotter than 500-1500 SHU. The cherry peppers you show seem more trapezoidal, mine were very round. I'll send you plenty of seeds as I'm not sure what the germination rates are now, but using the paper towel method you should get plenty of goers :D

Please keep an eye on Tom, he's up to no good...

Ben.

Cheers Ben will do, i emailed cuz today telling him about them & he said yes they are sweet but not to hot, i think yours must be a hotter version of what they get here? i have seen a mention of Hungarian hot Cherry Peppers on this forum somewhere.

And yes you spotted Tom, he sat there all the time watching me chop the Bhut`s, at one point he started to sing to me? ive never heard him make these noises before? ive not had Tess with me this week (gone to have here last vaccination jabs) so Toms been my replacement 'buddy' for the week.

Mezo.

Everything is coming along nicely for you Mezo, just wondering is the reason you opted for pots so you can grow them in your marquee over winter? Or are you going to put some in the ground just that you have what looks like "boundless plains to plant" :D

Back