• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Midwest Soil...ugh, great.....

Well, I'm totally used to prepping soil and growing things in the arid desert of Los Angeles but now comes a new challange. Growing in the clay soil of Cleveland, Ohio.

I've been hitting up all the local gardening stores looking at prices for my spring arsonal and tryiong to come up with intevative ways of treating my parents soil and growing in this type of weather out here.

Now here's my question. My parents have very clay like soil. I'm planning on doing my usualy treatment about a months before I plant (mix in a barrol of sphagnum moss, alot of compost, some new organic soil, and some live horse shit). Any other ideas as to fixing the soil to grow the usual wide asortment of veggies Should I also throw in some perlite? I will definitly be adding worms! Maybe some rock dust if I can locate a bag of it......

Here's my put IGG...clay holds water...period...if you are going to plant in really clayie (is that a word?) soil and you dig or "cut-in" an area you are essentially building a lake...

I know you probably don't want to hear this but I would recommend raised beds to get the required drainage. After you do that, use your usual soil to grow in.

claybreaker like Potawie said (do a google) or raise your beds import (do garden shops sell soil by the yard over there?)some soil and start above. I got clay in one area of the garden its very frustrating watching them get wet feet and underperform.
building it up with organic matter will work but not the best option for a 1 season turn around.
Mick

POTAWIE said:
Try adding gypsum to help loosen the soil. This might take some time though for best results.
Just read up on your suggestion and I'll add that to th emix as well.

stillmanz said:
(do garden shops sell soil by the yard over there?)
Yes they do. I'll be adding alot of soil to the bed.

I live in Michigan IGG and had your problem. After two years of trying my darnest, I gave up and built 12" high raised beds (4 ft wide x 12 ft long). It was hard labor to start with, but well worth it in the long run. I'm happy with my results for my climate. I know others who beat the clay soil through HEAVY amendment use (gypsum, sand, sawdust, etc). They brought these amendments in a larger quantity that a home gardener can.

My opinion was I don't have 10 years to grow a plant. I didn't know how long I would live here and wanted to enjoy gardening while I did. Ripping out sod and hauling in cu yd and cu yd of good dirt, compost, peat moss, etc. was back-breaking to say the least!

chris

cmpman1974 said:
Ripping out sod and hauling in cu yd and cu yd of good dirt, compost, peat moss, etc. was back-breaking to say the least!

See, that's where I have fun! It's hard work, but definitly makes it your own. This is at my folk's place, so by doing this, it will make whatever they plant there better in the future.

Years ago, my swimming pool was on clay. Of course, I had to cover the ground with a couple inches of said. When we finally took it down, I needed anywhere from six-18 inches of soil to make it all level. I had nine yards of top soil delivered (what a landscaper said it would take) but that turned out to be less than half of what was needed. Winter set in and last spring, I wanted to finish the job, but the budget didn't allow for another 12 yards. The local cemetary gives away dirt and most of the early stuff was decent. But then they had only clay available, so I added it to the top. I rotary tilled and rotary tilled that soil but still ended up with, from top to bottom - about three inches of clay, two inches of top soil and an inch of sand.

I was very, very lucky. We had a few downpours when we would get 3-4 inches of rain at a time, followed by a couple weeks of extremely dry weather. That mixture allowed for quick drying on the top but kept moisture in the root area. Even when the drought hit, the only plants that suffered were the tomatoes and their vines stayed very green.

Mike

IGG, does your area have leaf and grass pickup? if they do the city probably has compost. Check with the city you live in because its usually free to residents. The stuff I get is from where my parents live so I take my dad with me and if you load it yourself it's free but I like to have the front end loader dump it in my pickup truck for 10 bucks. I can get about 2 yds in my truck. This stuff is the best looking black stuff i have ever seen.

Dale

Dale...what about the weed killer and poisons people use on their lawns? Don't the poisons stay in the compost or does it break down?

AlabamaJack said:
Dale...what about the weed killer and poisons people use on their lawns? Don't the poisons stay in the compost or does it break down?

I would be concerned about that, as well. But that's kinda because I'm an organic freak. I would love to start my own compost bin so I was sure it was all natural. No toxic chemicals in my garden, thank you very much.

Truthfully, I am not worried about the toxic chemicals for myself, rather the plants. I have lived a good life...:lol:

yeah, you toxic worry warts are right that stuff ruined my garden, look how they are suffering. I believe that all that would break down before they even give it away. I will keep using it. If you took a sample of the rainwater falling on your garden in for analysis I'll bet you would be shocked.

Dale

DCP_0737.jpg

Oh so much info:
Downtown to Downtown, I'm less than 40 miles south of you. We've got nothing but clay 3-10" down in most of our yard.

Compost, soil, maneuer(sp?), and sand will probably be all you'd need to combat the clay. My parents got way with just that. My dad used a few bags of that cheap sterile play sand. New compost & maneuer next year too, for nutrients.

If the soil's never been worked (or it's been decades) or if you're planning on adding corn to your veggie list, test the soil. Even if it's just from one of those cheap test kits at the box stores.

Also, find out your drainage time. The local extension can tell you this or you can do it yourself. Ours here is 1" every 10 hours. Longer in a few areas away from the garden.

Thanks to my expanded veggie list, I need to extend our garden out to "virgin" soil" & get to play with all this too.

thepodpiper said:
yeah, you toxic worry warts are right that stuff ruined my garden, look how they are suffering.

If you took a sample of the rainwater falling on your garden in for analysis I'll bet you would be shocked.

Dale

Worries about toxicity of the compost just went away. With that, I can now start my own compost pile. Dale, you are going to get me into trouble....:think: wonder where I can put a compost pile in the back yard....

wordwiz said:
Here is a real good article about amending clay. http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/how-to/articles/improving-clay-soils.aspx

I ran across another article (can't find it now) about determining just how much clay is in your soil. Basically, you put a sample of your soil in a jar, add water and shake it up for quite a while. Then you let it sit. The clay, loam and sand will separate and give you an idea of the composition.

Mike
Great article and ideas. Thanks!

thepodpiper said:
IGG, does your area have leaf and grass pickup? if they do the city probably has compost. Check with the city you live in because its usually free to residents. The stuff I get is from where my parents live so I take my dad with me and if you load it yourself it's free but I like to have the front end loader dump it in my pickup truck for 10 bucks. I can get about 2 yds in my truck. This stuff is the best looking black stuff i have ever seen.

Dale
I actually looked into this in Los Angeles and they said only use this for flower gardens. It actiually has alot of toxic stuff in it.

thepodpiper said:
If you took a sample of the rainwater falling on your garden in for analysis I'll bet you would be shocked.
Appearently when it comes to rainfall in poluted areas, most of the toxins fall out of the sky withing two hours of a heavy rain adn from there on you can collect it, filter through a coffee strainer and drink it. I've done this many a times in LA and it's the most amazing thing you'll ever drink. If you are extremely thrusty, have a small glass of this and you are completely rehyradated! Good stuff.

imaguitargod said:
I actually looked into this in Los Angeles and they said only use this for flower gardens. It actiually has alot of toxic stuff in it.

*nod* Just cause it's growing doesn't mean it's ok to eat. I'll stick with the non-toxic stuff, just in case.

Back