• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Might as well add my grow thread

I won't approach a couple of wonderful female members and all the plants they grow, bu this year I should have a pretty good list. This is what I have sowed so far:

Bananas:

Balbisiana Banana
Giant Nepal Banana
Thomson's Edible Banana
Royal Sweet Banana
Giant Yunnan Banana
Musa Coccinea ( Scarlet Banana )
Musa Ensete ( Ethiopian Banana )
Musa x. Paradisiaca ( Dwarf Cavendish Edible Banana )
Musa Rosacea ( Flowering Rose Banana )
Musa Velutina ( Velvet Pink Banana )
Musa Zebrina ( Striped Banana )
Darjeeling Banana Musa sikkimensis
Red Flash Banana
Thai Gold Banana
Dwarf Indian Banana
Cheeseman's Banana
Abyssianian Banana
Monkey Fingers Banana
Cold Hardy Banana
Ensete glaucum (Snow Banana)
Ensete ventricosum
French Banana Musa Paradisiaca
Violet Banana Musa Violacea
Thailand Rock Banana Ensete Superbaum

Tomatoes - These are just an experiment, I won't sow seeds for the garden until March:
Goliath
Better Boy
Delicious
Celebrity
First Prize

7-Pot pepper
Cotton
Yicama
Red Wonder Strawberries
Yellow Wonder Strawberries
Coffee Arabica
Genovese Basil

I still have some seeds to start but I want to wait anywhere from a couple of weeks to the middle of March:

Peas
Lettuce
Green Beans
Squash
Zucchini
Spinach
Potatoes
Tomatoes - About four varieties
Corn
Mustard
Peppers - Bell, Hot, Banana
Eggplant
Onions
Carrots
Radishes
Kale
Asparagus
Broccoli
Garlic
Cabbage
Beets
Turnips
Sweet Potato
Cucumber
Swiss Chard
Cotton
Rice
Sugar Cane
Peanuts

Maybe a few other things!

Mike

Damn wordwiz, you would grow it all if you could i am sure! Great list mate i would love to be hippy camping in your garden!

You have a pal in the M.O.D?

If anyone is well prepared for Armageddon, it's you Mike!

You going to sell a lot of that again?

I'm planning on selling maybe three types of maters: a beefsteak (Delicious likely or Better Boy if they produce), a cherry and an early one, either Siletz or Legend. The only peppers will be a few habs, jalas and bell, plus maybe a flat or two of bananas (I would love be find a slightly hot one). Peppers simply did not sell well last year.

I'll have some basil for sure, as well as cotton, coffee, rice and Jicama, plus bananas if any of them germinate and grow. But probably only 18 at most of each.

The beans, potatoes, carrots, peas and onions are mostly for me, though I hope to keep most everything that produces. Most of the rest of the veggies are for a raised bed display at the fairgrounds - a row of everything, or else some stuff in themed containers. The manager is giving me prime space for the display and I hope to include a compost bin. The other part of the display will be a series of rain barrels to collect water, hooked up to a faucet and soaking hose. The last barrel will be marked so I know when I've given the garden a half-inch of "rain."

But since I might as well try to germinate most of the seeds in a package, I'll probably try to sell any extra plants to help defray my costs. I have scads of nursery flats and trays and 50 quarts of premier potting mix is only $17 so a few cabbage and other plants ought to cover that.

Mike

Josh,

I don't have the space either. Many, maybe most, of the veggies and plants will be grown in containers (such as potatoes, corn and beans) and others will be in a raised bed, with no more than 8 linear feet apiece.

"My" garden will have three rows of potatoes, a row of peppers, three (maybe four) rows of tomatoes, a row of green beans, a row of carrots, peas and onions, and a row of other things, such as basil, cucumbers, a few peanuts and maybe a couple of other plants. But the raised bed(s)... I wish I could find some horseradish roots and rhubarb, not to mention lots of other stuff that will produce something by fall.

OK, an off-the-wall question - can one use the Florida Weave for things like pole beans, climbing peas, cucumbers?

I promise - pics this coming year.

Mike

Dude -

You're an inspiration, I swear!

I must tell you, part of my getting onto the local Farmers' Market over here is as a result of your earlier threads...

Nothing like jumping right into something new, 24 types of banana? What will you do with them all if they sprout, are you selling them? I have 3 banana plants and they are almost too big for my house in the winter, even the dwarf varieties.
Do you like those alpine strawberries? I grew them for a few years but really prefer other varieties with bigger fruit and more flavor and production.

Potawie,

If and that's a big IF they ever sprout, I'll sell them or give them to friends and relatives as a present. I bought three plants back in mid-December. Two of them are still smallish but one of them is growing much quicker. I had a Darjeeling sprout several weeks ago and it is only about three inches tall now (though it was transplanted and basically reduced to about 1/2".

The reason for the Alpine (both Red and Yellow Wonder) is that I need a variety that will have fruit this year, even if it isn't really enough to make a cup of preserves. They are part of my "Peanut Butter and Jelly" container display for the fair.

Mike

MrArboc,

Actually, I have this diabolical plan: I need to buy a string trimmer, lawn mover and rotary tiller (all three died within six weeks last summer/fall) plus four 400 or 600 watt HPS systems. I figure plant and produce sales, along with a payment for some web design work I have done, is the easiest way to get the extra cash.

Mike

I've had good success with "Fresca(O/P)" strawberries from seed as well as what I think were "pikan(hybrid)" that have pink flowers and an incredible sweet flavor. Both types are also good for pots or hanging baskets and both produce fairly good the first year. Way better than the mini alpine types in my opinion.

Potawie,

Now you tell me! I do like the reports on Fresca, but I'm afraid it is too late this year. I would have to sow them next week at the latest to have fruit for the fair. That might be doable, if they don't need frozen for a couple of weeks or more.

Mike

It's too late into the year for me to sit on my hands. I don't have any seeds to sow or seedlings to transplant, so today was "make containers" evening.

I use that weird and very strange dirt - the stuff that will not grow weeds, as the base. This stuff is so loose I can dig up a shovelful that is wet, throw it into a 5-gallon bucket and after that 8" clod hits the bottom, it is about as solid as sand. In other words, great draining (to be kind!). I mix in some Farfard's B53 or whatever potting mix. Got it because I could not find Ferti-lome and it was supposed to be good fer germinating seeds. Yeah, right. Nancy Pelosi also sings the praises of Republicans. Way too gritty for seeds, not that good for small seedlings, pretty good for larger ones.

Anyway, add three parts dirt, one part potting mix and a half part green tomato leaves and brown tree leaves. The next layer is three parts dirt, one part potting mix and one partially decomposed compost. Next is three part dirt, one part potting mix, one part mostly decomposed compost and some tomato-tone fertilizer. The top part is three parts dirt, one part potting mix.

The seedling gets buried in it, up to its bottom leaves, the container (7-gallon) gets soaked from the bottom and top until it is completely drenched, then set aside to drain. Then it goes under the lights. After a week or so, once the seedling grows, I use one part dirt and one part potting mix to top off the container, cutting off the bottom leaves.

I've used this recipe (or something close to it) for the tomatoes in the GH and six of them upstairs. It seems to work so far - holds water, does not compact, and the plants show good growth. Of course, this, and $3.49 will get me a pound of cardboard tomatoes. I hope to do better.

Mike

One week for the strawberries to start germinating. That's way better than last year, even though it is not quite as warm. Freezing them for the month must have helped also. Don't know how many plants I'll get this year, the rate in 09 was dismal and then they never really grew after they sprouted. Hopefully, this year will be different.

Mike

wordwiz said:
I use that weird and very strange dirt - the stuff that will not grow weeds, as the base. This stuff is so loose I can dig up a shovelful that is wet, throw it into a 5-gallon bucket and after that 8" clod hits the bottom, it is about as solid as sand. In other words, great draining (to be kind!). I mix in some Farfard's B53 or whatever potting mix. Got it because I could not find Ferti-lome and it was supposed to be good fer germinating seeds. Yeah, right. Nancy Pelosi also sings the praises of Republicans. Way too gritty for seeds, not that good for small seedlings, pretty good for larger ones.

I've used this recipe (or something close to it) for the tomatoes in the GH and six of them upstairs. It seems to work so far - holds water, does not compact, and the plants show good growth. Of course, this, and $3.49 will get me a pound of cardboard tomatoes. I hope to do better.

Mike

I never did figure out what dirt you were talking about.

Thats quite a list.

good luck this season Mike...hope all goes as planned for you...

you have quite some list...where you are adding variety, I am cutting back on variety.....

AJ,

Keep in mind, 90 percent of the varieties are for display purposes only (though anything that tastes good is mine to bring home!). The raised bed I need to build can be 90 feet long and four feet wide, though I figure I only need about 60 feet in length. If it works, I may try adding some plants for next year, ones that take a couple of years to produce, things like horseradish and (I think) oregano.

I have room for two rows of peppers and toms - what peppers would be great? Keep in mind, the fair starts August 10, so they need to have short days to maturity. Extra points if they are big and laden with pods!

Mike

Back