• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MikeUSMC 2023 GLOG

Hopefully, I’ll keep up with this GLOG this year, unlike the previous few years. I didn’t do one last year but, I think my GLOG (if you can even call it that) from 2021 was literally ONE post :lol: I’ve been working 50-72 hour weeks for the last 2 years (6 days a week), but now I’m back to working 40 hours, like a gentleman… for now :rofl:

D2FF6A1D-33FE-45BC-BFE4-4871C7804F24.jpeg

Anyway, I’m going to start with that pic 👆🏻 from a few years ago (rather than a crappy pic of seedlings under lights) since that’ll be the pic on the “GLOGS” home page, lol. If all goes according to plan, my backyard should look like that again this Summer :)

On to 2023… I dug through my old seed stash, sowed a bunch of seeds last week, and they all started popping a few days ago:

•Reaper SRTSL F5 (WHP)
•Chocolate Bhutlah DM
•7 Pot Douglah (WHP)
•Jamaican Hot Chocolate (WHP)
•D3 GOAT “Giant” pheno F4 (@D3monic)
•ScotchBrains (@Guatemalan Insanity Pepper)
•ScotchBrains (WHP)
•Scotch Bonnet (WHP)
•Bahamian Goat (WHP)
•Bahamian Beast, Peach V2 (WHP)
•Chocolate Scotch Bonnet (WHP)
•Bhut Jolokia White “W” strain (WHP)
•Super Bhut Jolokia (WHP)
•Star Scream (WHP)
•Aji Pineapple (WHP)

I’m still waiting on a few to pop:
•MoA Scotch Bonnet (WHP)
•Cappuccino Scotch Bonnet (my old stock)
•8 varieties of C. Pubescens from @Thegreenchilemonster

I also put in an order from “Tyler Farms,” in California, for some more seeds that should be here any day now. A bunch of White and Purple varieties :party:

•Genghis Khan Brain Strain (Tyler Farms)
•7 Pot White (TF)
•7 Pot BBG White (TF)
•Moruga Scorpion White (TF)
•Purple Death (TF)
•Purple Ghost (TF)
•Purple 7 Pot (TF)
Sunset Peach Scotch Bonnet (TF): this is probably the pepper that I’m most excited about this year. It’s a cross between 2 delicious peppers; a Yellow SB and the CGN 21500. The pods look absolutely gorgeous, and I can only imagine how they taste. Here’s a link (with pics) if anyone’s interested in checking them out:

The only thing I’m kicking myself for not ordering this year (I still can’t believe that I forgot :doh: ) is the Khang Starr “LEMON STARRBURST.” I’m kicking myself in the ass for forgetting about that one. There’s still time to do so though, so we’ll see… ;)

EDIT: Just put in an order with @TexasHotPeppers :party:
•KS Lemon Starrburst (THP)
•KS Peach Starrkist (THP)
•Reaper Bonnet (THP)
•P. Dreadie SB (THP)
•Chocolate Scotch Bonnet, Giant (THP)
•Bahamian Goat (THP)

Thanks for listening to that long rant/novel, everybody :lol: And, like I said, now that work has calmed down significantly, I’m hoping to be much more active on THP. I missed all of you guys and gals!

PPATB :metal:
Cheers 🍻

Last edited:
The Rocotos can be persnickety, Mike. The seeds can take weeks to germ, they'll flower readily enough yet drop those blossoms if you look at 'em funny. This is my 8th year with them and finally I'm getting some volume in the production department with Rocotos Rojo and Aji Oro.

But the fruit is so worth it!

They’d have to be the orange Manzano and a Yellow SB (either MoA or TFM), @Downriver, but a Chocolate SB is pretty high up on my list too!

This will be my first year growing the “Bahamian Beast” too. All I know about it is that (I think) it’s a cross between a B. Goat and an unknown red superhot. I do know that I should be growing the Peach colored one (according to what was written on the seed packet), but I have no idea what the “V2” means (“version 2”?). All I know is that I ordered the seeds from White Hot Peppers in December of 2019, and I have no idea what generation these particular seeds are (F?).
Mike wish you best of luck in your grow
I am the odd 🦆 out when it comes to Bahamian Goats but I might try white hot pepper goat brains I do like the pheno

Hopefully, I’ll keep up with this GLOG this year, unlike the previous few years. I didn’t do one last year but, I think my GLOG (if you can even call it that) from 2021 was literally ONE post :lol: I’ve been working 50-72 hour weeks for the last 2 years (6 days a week), but now I’m back to working 40 hours, like a gentleman… for now :rofl:

D2FF6A1D-33FE-45BC-BFE4-4871C7804F24.jpeg

Anyway, I’m going to start with that pic 👆🏻 from a few years ago (rather than a crappy pic of seedlings under lights) since that’ll be the pic on the “GLOGS” home page, lol. If all goes according to plan, my backyard should look like that again this Summer :)

On to 2023… I dug through my old seed stash, sowed a bunch of seeds last week, and they all started popping a few days ago:

•Reaper SRTSL F5 (WHP)
•Chocolate Bhutlah DM
•7 Pot Douglah (WHP)
•Jamaican Hot Chocolate (WHP)
•D3 GOAT “Giant” pheno F4 (@D3monic)
•ScotchBrains (@Guatemalan Insanity Pepper)
•ScotchBrains (WHP)
•Scotch Bonnet (WHP)
•Bahamian Goat (WHP)
•Bahamian Beast, Peach V2 (WHP)
•Chocolate Scotch Bonnet (WHP)
•Bhut Jolokia White “W” strain (WHP)
•Super Bhut Jolokia (WHP)
•Star Scream (WHP)
•Aji Pineapple (WHP)

I’m still waiting on a few to pop:
•MoA Scotch Bonnet (WHP)
•Cappuccino Scotch Bonnet (my old stock)
•8 varieties of C. Pubescens from @Thegreenchilemonster

I also put in an order from “Tyler Farms,” in California, for some more seeds that should be here any day now. A bunch of White and Purple varieties :party:

•Genghis Khan Brain Strain (Tyler Farms)
•7 Pot White (TF)
•7 Pot BBG White (TF)
•Moruga Scorpion White (TF)
•Purple Death (TF)
•Purple Ghost (TF)
•Purple 7 Pot (TF)
Sunset Peach Scotch Bonnet (TF): this is probably the pepper that I’m most excited about this year. It’s a cross between 2 delicious peppers; a Yellow SB and the CGN 21500. The pods look absolutely gorgeous, and I can only imagine how they taste. Here’s a link (with pics) if anyone’s interested in checking them out:

The only thing I’m kicking myself for not ordering this year (I still can’t believe that I forgot :doh: ) is the Khang Starr “LEMON STARRBURST.” I’m kicking myself in the ass for forgetting about that one. There’s still time to do so though, so we’ll see… ;)

EDIT: Just put in an order with @TexasHotPeppers :party:
•KS Lemon Starrburst (THP)
•KS Peach Starrkist (THP)
•Reaper Bonnet (THP)
•P. Dreadie SB (THP)
•Chocolate Scotch Bonnet, Giant (THP)
•Bahamian Goat (THP)

Thanks for listening to that long rant/novel, everybody :lol: And, like I said, now that work has calmed down significantly, I’m hoping to be much more active on THP. I missed all of you guys and gals!

PPATB :metal:
Cheers 🍻
Hey Mike I've wonder about that sunset bonnet looking forward to your thoughts on it

The Rocotos can be persnickety, Mike. The seeds can take weeks to germ…
Yeah, I hear ya! Looks like 7 out of the 8 varieties I planted have been duds so far. I did have one “Mini Rocoto” pop (that’s all it said on the seed packet) but, it looks like a ‘runt’ and it’s struggling. We shall see…

Awesome to see some the crosses still making the rounds. D3 Goat was a nasty little beast. El Scorponero still one my all time favorites.

Cheers Homie!
D3, great to hear from you, dude! 🍻

Not sure I’d call that thing “little,” hahaha. The pod these seeds came out of was an absolute MONSTER!

58D1A3D4-6D4E-41EA-8B0B-0D676B706211.jpeg

9B871ECF-897E-4295-A453-954D82CFC039.jpeg

84269E69-0510-4FE5-9E82-3715BE3A29AA.jpeg

65D5E565-E7F7-4BFB-9725-AC5C8AB41B34.jpeg

It’s been so long that I don’t even remember what this cross is :lol: Bahamian Goat x ???

Was it crossed with a 7 Pot? All I remember was it being fairly fruity tasting, and being rippin’ freakin’ hot and the burn just wouldn’t quit 🔥

Either way, @D3monic, I plan on isolating this one and, as long as it produces well, I’ll send you a ton of seeds (or pods ;) ) at the end of the season 🍻

Last edited:
Just so you know Mike, I soaked my Serrano seeds overnight in a mild water/h2o2 solution. The black nasties went in for three nights in the same stuff. The Serranos popped within a week, the Rocotos were hot on their heels @ around 10 days. Both germed at or virtually at 100%. I had a slight problem with damping off on a few (go figure, Colorado), but I'm going to have a busy season!

G'luck, mate!!

Can I ask what percentage h2o2 solution you soak in @stettoman ? Is it 50, 9, 12? And does it work for other (vegetable) seeds as well? I might want to try that next season.

(Sorry for hijacking your thread Mike.)

I guess that's an appropriate question, you're not likely going to take much from my answer:

Let me preface by saying that the only things I've EVER measured accurately were construction materials. I'm a stickler for measure twice, cut once. That said...

I eyeball everything that isn't lumber, drywall, paint tint, electrical wiring, etc. Most of my recipes I have a hard time sharing because I have no "recipe" per se to share, it's a dash or a handful or a heapin' spoonful. So my "recipe" for my seed shell softening solution is the same, ballpark-wise.

What I can tell you is that this year (and it was likely different every year since I started doing this seriously in 2016) was to actually fill a measure cup to two cups (give or take a shot glass or two), and poured about a shot's worth (guessing here) of hydrogen peroxide into that. I then followed with seeds and solution in small 1/2 ounce marked specimen cups.

Wish I could be more help, but that's how I grow...

@stettoman @Grass Snake @Ratatouille

I soak all of my seeds (every year) in Hydrogen peroxide using the ratios in this link. If I have the time, I’ll let them soak for 24 hours. If not, at least overnight:

@stettoman @Grass Snake @Ratatouille

I soak all of my seeds (every year) in Hydrogen peroxide using the ratios in this link. If I have the time, I’ll let them soak for 24 hours. If not, at least overnight:

Interesting, the solution I made is basically double the strength of what's recommended in that chart.

Quick little update. I got the first round of seedlings potted up into Solo cups this morning. Nothing fancy, just MG Potting Mix, a bunch of extra perlite and a tiny bit of Osmocote 10-10-10 CRF granules. I ended up whittling down my grow list a little bit during the process too. Here’s where I’m at now:
AE588D98-12EB-4BE5-96C5-B897D32D4344.jpeg

I’m curious to see what this one ends up to be. The seed packet it came out of says that it should be a “Reaper SRTSL, F5” but, it was the only one (out of 8 or 9 seeds) that has purple foliage. I kept a “regular” one (green foliage) too. I guess we’ll see, soon enough 😁
36400BB8-D662-4EBC-AE5A-301154AFA3DB.jpeg

Still waiting on the second round of seeds from Tyler Farms and Texas Hot Peppers to pop. I did have a “KS Lemon Starrburst” and a “KS Peach Starrkist” sprout from that batch, but I need to peach one to ditch the helmet head, lol.

Thanks for looking 🍻

They canceled work today, so I’m at home, enjoying the first substantial snowfall that we’ve gotten all year (about 6” now, on our way to 8” total). Being in New England, this being our first “real” snowstorm, and the fact that it’s the last day of February, this is practically unheard of. We’ve usually had several FEET of snow by now! :shocked:

0A091CC1-DF71-42D0-9EAF-EF976B4D0B95.jpeg

Anyway, I figured it’d be a good day to update this GLOG, since the plants needed to be watered and I have to take them out from underneath the lights to do it. Here’s where I’m at today, with my 2 biggest plants being the 2 “Reaper, SRTSL, F5” plants. One of these still has a slight purple tinge in the foliage (and stem) but, it’s definitely more green than purple:

003107CF-BED2-4786-BB0A-1088E77AC802.jpeg

7BE14EDB-06F2-4EFF-A9CF-8BED84F05549.jpeg

60C104F3-E878-4645-9E5A-08FEA67B4F33.jpeg

0892A71F-B3C9-451E-8F68-F013AF73E7AA.jpeg

It’ll be time to start culling and transplanting the second tray, either this weekend or next. So far, the only “dud” seeds I’ve had (0% germination rate) were the “7 Pot Purple” seeds, from Tyler Farms. I’m very lucky to have had 100% germination rates with everything else!

Thanks for looking 🍻

Back