• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense mild Capsicum chinense peppers

Is there a brown no heat variety?  I am thinking that creating a brown mild variety might be a fun project for me.

I have never tried a brown pepper, so I do not even know if that is a flavor I will enjoy.  I am growing Jamaican Chocolate Habanero next year.  If I am impressed with the flavor, I may try crossing it with Trinidad pimento.

I am very happy with the Trinidad pimento I grew this year.  Slice up a couple, and you can smell the aroma from the opposite side of the room, and they significantly improve the flavor of the Caribbean food we cook. I am also very happy with Trinidad perfume.  I plan to keep both varieties over the winter.

Earlier in the week, I acquired some Grenada seasoning and Tobago seasoning peppers from my brothers garden.  Grenada seasoning is sweet with a nice flavor.  I have not cooked with it yet, so too early to say if I prefer Grenada or the Perfume.  Tobago seasoning has a very fruity flavor, but it has enough heat that I would not consider it in the same category as these other mild peppers.

This year the Aji Rosita Dulce Reds have been huge and spectacular.    The Aji Margariteno Yellows have been great but have a little more heat than expected.

Attachments

• Aji Rosita.JPG
    Aji Rosita.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 95
  • Aji Marg.jpg
    Aji Marg.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 97
spicy.curry said:
I am very happy with the Trinidad pimento I grew this year.  Slice up a couple, and you can smell the aroma from the opposite side of the room, and they significantly improve the flavor of the Caribbean food we cook. I am also very happy with Trinidad perfume.  I plan to keep both varieties over the winter.

Earlier in the week, I acquired some Grenada seasoning and Tobago seasoning peppers from my brothers garden.  Grenada seasoning is sweet with a nice flavor.  I have not cooked with it yet, so too early to say if I prefer Grenada or the Perfume.  Tobago seasoning has a very fruity flavor, but it has enough heat that I would not consider it in the same category as these other mild peppers.
Don't think I will grow Tobago Seasoning next year.  As you state, it has enough heat that it is not mild.  Also mine were fairly small.   It was not what I was looking for.  OTOH, I will grow Trinidad Perfume again - wonderful, fruity taste.  
IMG_1411 (2).JPG

Alpaca Punch said:
OTOH, I will grow Trinidad Perfume again - wonderful, fruity taste.  

I grew these for the first time this year, and my wife loves these.
Ours had a Scotch Bonnet/Habanero taste, but almost no heat at all.

I tried my first several Aji Cachucha peppers this week.  Seeds were from Refining Fire Chiles.

Small saucer shaped pepper pods, nice to look at.  Upon slicing, very little aroma.  They did not have the aromatic chinense scent or flavor at all.  Green, they have an unpleasant bitter taste.  Ripe, they have a mild sweet flavor, in addition to a bitter peppery flavor. No heat at all.  The taste reminds me more of a Thai chili without the heat, rather than of a chinense pepper.  

I bet on Rocotillo (a very mild habanero), Margariteño and Arroz con pollo (Cuba). Arroz con pollo is really good, fruity, sweet and with that characteristic chinense aroma.

For smoked flavor Mako kokoo is less hot than a habanero, yet it is not mild. It's not brown either, but it tastes like chocolate peppers.
Frontera (Semillas.de) is said to come from an island near where I live. I've been there several times and nobody knows this pepper, perhaps it is not very popular or perhaps it is a specific discovery of Peter in the market of the Frontera's town. I also doubt the minty taste of a bell pepper.

Back