• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mildfruits 2020 hydroponic

Hi all! 

This is my second grow blog. You can find the first one here
I bought a lot of new equipment enough to warrant a new grow blog. 
Quick intro: Due to lack of outdoor growing space I've had to get creative with indoor growing without soil. 

I grow mainly with grodan blocks with automatic watering, from a nutrient tank using masterblend. 

Things that have changed from my last glog: 
I have bought another tent and light. 
I have started growing tomatoes indoor. 
New seeds! 
Also not mentioned in my last glog, but my lights and fans are controlled by a device called Shelly. Useful in everyday home automation, controllable from your phone with timers and monitoring. 

Lets get started with some pictures! 
IMG-5429.jpg

Heres my new tomato light a quantum board from HLG called 100V2. A little brother to my pepper light (quantum board HLG 260W)
IMG-5459.jpg

And here's my tomato tent with the light installed. 
IMG-5460.jpg

Heres my two tomatoes, Sugar lump and Muddy waters. Both are indeterminate, meaning they grow forever, so pruning will be necessary.

And now to the interesting part! 
A quick before and after of my pepper tent: 
IMG-5333.jpg

IMG-5461.jpg

Seeds: 
This year I have been so lucky to receive some wilds from CaneDog! Lots of cool varieties, more than I can grow unfortunately, but maybe some day! 

I also participated in a european seed exchange witch included some seeds from the US, so I also got seeds from Yekanfam Farms also a THP member. 

Seeds started: 
De Arbol (Fatalliseeds)
Aci Dolma (CaneDog)
Tepin Cappuccino (CaneDog)
C. Flexuosum (CaneDog)
Aji Amarillo (Fatalliseeds) 
Pimientos De Gernika (Fatalliseeds)
Rocoto Costa Rica (Fatalliseeds)
Rocoto San Pedro, Orange (Fatalliseeds)
Lemon Starrburst (Yekanfam Farms)
C. Galapagoense

This years theme is challenge. Previously I failed growing Aji Amarillo and C. pubescens varieties, this year I hope to change that! 
My list needs to be cut down to 6 so this is not my final list. 

I wish everyone a happy grow in 2020! 

Update*

IMG-5558.jpg

IMG-5560.jpg

Its still going strong, setting flowers all over the plant, and the first fruit have also begun to form. Wish my peppers had this speed. 

IMG-5562.jpg

IMG-5564.jpg

I finally figured out what to do with the excess plants. Inspired (once again) by Khangstarr, im going to transfer them into small kratky bottles and grow miniature plants. I won't give me great harvest, but hopefully a few pods, and increase my pollen "pool" for crosses later in the year. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf7COjEk-nc&t=453s  This was the video that inspired me. 

I've also today planted the first lettuce seeds of the year. I always struggle with growing them indoor, due to heat. However this year I might have figured it out. 

We just reached the record for rain in February in Denmark. So once again im glad I grow indoor, or as it seems, I don't have a choice  :rolleyes:  ;)

Mildfruit said:
Maybe some wilds enthusiast can help me out here: 
I've been unsure whether the c. galapagoense was true or not, but the pepper is growing in a way I have never seen before. Maybe some can help me out? 

Take a look at these two pictures: 

Im talking about the new leaf grow on the lower right side near the cotyledon. Is this typical for a galapagoense? 

Plants are looking great.  Nothing about the c. galap. looks off to me - though it's not a wild I have lots of experience with.  It just looks like the lateral development is getting started quickly and leafy.  I have a young Eximium CAP 1491 x USDA Cardenasii F1 growing that did similarly and now it looks almost like it has two main stems (EDIT: pic#2 at http://thehotpepper.com/topic/73148-canedog-2020/?p=1673023).  Many of the wilds aren't the most organised and symmetrical in their growth.

You're really killing it with that tomato.  Great pictures of the mini tom's forming!  I wish peppers started with that kind of speed and vigor, too.

Mildfruit said:
Thanks Paul!
Well Paul, that a good advice and all, but what if I want all those things?  ;)  Haha some day in the near future I'll have to make some hard choices. I feel settled one day, and the next day I start a few more seeds  :confused: Yes, therein lies the problem  :rofl: 

Maybe some wilds enthusiast can help me out here: 
I've been unsure whether the c. galapagoense was true or not, but the pepper is growing in a way I have never seen before. Maybe some can help me out? 

Take a look at these two pictures: 

Im talking about the new leaf grow on the lower right side near the cotyledon. Is this typical for a galapagoense? 

Your galapagoense looks good. I am sure that
little leaf growth is just a lateral branch trying to emerge.
The plant looks healthy, so I wouldn't worry about
it too much. In fact, it is probably a good thing!

Man, that tomato is growing so fast, and setting
fruit already   :woohoo:

That mater's looking solid. Pretty cushy gig, having a grow tent all to itself.

Mildfruit said:
Inspired (once again) by Khangstarr, im going to transfer them into small kratky bottles and grow miniature plants. I won't give me great harvest, but hopefully a few pods, and increase my pollen "pool" for crosses later in the year.

Welcome to the club. :D It's a fun way to grow.

CaneDog said:

Plants are looking great.  Nothing about the c. galap. looks off to me - though it's not a wild I have lots of experience with.  It just looks like the lateral development is getting started quickly and leafy.  I have a young Eximium CAP 1491 x USDA Cardenasii F1 growing that did similarly and now it looks almost like it has two main stems (EDIT: pic#2 at http://thehotpepper.com/topic/73148-canedog-2020/?p=1673023).  Many of the wilds aren't the most organised and symmetrical in their growth.

You're really killing it with that tomato.  Great pictures of the mini tom's forming!  I wish peppers started with that kind of speed and vigor, too.

Thanks for your assessment, I don't think I have ever noticed it before, and once growing something new my attention is all over the plant, which is not necessarily a good thing  ;)

You know when CaneDog compliments you on photography, you're doing something right  :P

PaulG said:

Your galapagoense looks good. I am sure that
little leaf growth is just a lateral branch trying to emerge.
The plant looks healthy, so I wouldn't worry about
it too much. In fact, it is probably a good thing!

Man, that tomato is growing so fast, and setting
fruit already   :woohoo:

I don't think I've ever noticed lateral branch growth before, and I agree its probably a good thing! 
That tomato plant is simply growing to well, I have been cutting it back furiously.

internationalfish said:
That mater's looking solid. Pretty cushy gig, having a grow tent all to itself.

Welcome to the club. :D It's a fun way to grow.

I hope it works! I have planted around 6 different plants in which I will try to experiment with this type of grow. I recon I'll make mistakes but that's what experiments is all about  ;)

Picture heavy update*

First problem of the year (glogwise): My rocotos are giving up in the grow tent. They simply cant handle the heat, getting all limp during day hours. I remembered that was precisely what happened last time I tried to grow rocotos. I figured I could move them to my windows - However my windows are faced west, so not optimal. 
Heres a picture of my Costa Rican Red enjoying the "cold" in my kitchen. 
IMG-5569.jpg

San Pedro Orange have started to make the "Y". But is now growing as beautifully as the plant above: 
IMG-5570.jpg

Quick overview of the plants in the chili tent: 
IMG-5571.jpg

De Arbol, the first "to-be" flowers have started to emerge.
IMG-5572.jpg

My Lemon Starrburst are taking its time, almost forgot some chinenses grow considerably slower. I didn't grow any last year ;)
IMG-5573.jpg

Antep Aci Dolma properly my prettiest plant. Thick stem, beautiful leaves, and starting to bud up. I have high hopes for this one
IMG-5574.jpg

* Second part of the update, sometimes a lot of pictures are hard to handle for the site. 

The tomato are setting lots of fruits, this is just the brach that's furthest ahead. Really looking forward to tasting these soon! 
IMG-5576.jpg

IMG-5577.jpg

And the best for last!
I planted all my seeds on jan. 29. And after a month and a few days two varieties decided to germinate  :onfire:
IMG-5575.jpg

Cappuccino Tepin, really glad this germinated! Good things are worth waiting for they say  ;)

And the last variety to wake up was the c. flexuosum! Right now the "helmet" are still attached to the seedling, I hope it will fall off in the next few days. 

Tybo said:
Glad that tepin cappuccino sprouted for ya.  I tried to get them to germinate this year with no luck.  I did get the flexuosum to germinate so I'm happy with that.  Good luck with your grow this year!
How long did you try with the cappuccino? I hope I have a bunch of seeds to share in a few months, then hit me up I'll be happy to share :)

internationalfish said:
Awesome growth on those peppers! Really dig that setup, and it seems to be working very well for you.

Thanks fish! Well with all the money I put into this it better work  ;) Joking aside, it have been a long work in progress, still looking forward to a greenhouse style grow like Lespaulde are doing. I guess the grass is always greener eh?  :P

Glad to see your Cappuccino Tepin sprouted.
I am growing the Cappuccino Chiltepin this
season. Will be fun to compare.

Good luck going forward!

IMG-5597.jpg

Heres the status of the tent now. Im trying some minikratky in the middel using monster energi drink cans. So far it works very well. 

IMG-5598.jpg

Very compact grow from the lemon starrburst. Recently replanted it into its final container, hopefully it will stretch soon. 

IMG-5599.jpg

So I took out both my rocotos as they struggled to handle the heat. This one however, have tolerated to come back in again. My other, the San Pedro Orange, have unfortunately died. But this was the year of challenge, so some setback was expected. This one is due to an replant upgrade 

IMG-5600.jpg

Flower set! 
IMG-5601.jpg

One flower is about to bloom. Never grown such a big variety before, its noticeable with the huge flowerpods

IMG-5602.jpg

Taking its time, but getting there slowly :)

IMG-5603.jpg

Heres the babies. Right know im stil deciding witch to keep. The tepin and flexusoms are some im going to keep for sure. The choice really is between the primo and chocolate ghost. The latter is sourced in a marked in Argentina, so the seeds could be mixed with anything. Im leaning into keeping the ghost but I still have some time to decide. The 2 grown in soil is Tiny Tim tomatoes :).

IMG-5604.jpg

Tried to capture the silver fur look. From afar its really noticeable, I had my doubts earlier about wether the seeds were true, which im now sure they are. 

IMG-5605.jpg

First plant to be "kratky'ed" and im impressed with the root explosion. It set its first flower 4days ago, and are starting to fall of. Hopefully it will turn into the first pod in the tent! De gernika is a kind of padron pepper :)

IMG-5607.jpg

My tomato is setting countless of fruits. I really hope the taste can match. 

PaulG said:
Glad to see your Cappuccino Tepin sprouted.
I am growing the Cappuccino Chiltepin this
season. Will be fun to compare.

Good luck going forward!

Definitely! If I remember correctly yours was from semilias? How long did yours take to germinate? 

Mildfruit said:

Definitely! If I remember correctly yours was from semilias? How long did yours take to germinate? 

That's right, Rasmus. The Cappuccino Chiltepin
from Semillas took 28 days to hook. I think the final
rate was 75%.

Thanks for looking in, brother!

PaulG said:

That's right, Rasmus. The Cappuccino Chiltepin
from Semillas took 28 days to hook. I think the final
rate was 75%.

Thanks for looking in, brother!
Interesting, maybe its just a slow germinating variety. Nevertheless it will be fun to compare indeed!

@Inoks
I actually use something I bought on amazon instead of making it myself, which should be fairly easy!

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07HM16XCV/ref=pe_3044161_189395811_TE_SCE_3p_dp_1
Heres the link, you can find similar items on the American amazon Im sure :).

Mildfruit said:
Interesting, maybe its just a slow germinating variety. Nevertheless it will be fun to compare indeed!

@Inoks
I actually use something I bought on amazon instead of making it myself, which should be fairly easy!

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07HM16XCV/ref=pe_3044161_189395811_TE_SCE_3p_dp_1
Heres the link, you can find similar items on the American amazon Im sure :).
Thanks, yea that link is fine as I live in Finland, have to think about buying that

Update with pod pics!

The first picture is two plants that thrived in kratky, but due to tent limitations they have been replanted into the forbidden media today (spoiler: its soil). The first plant is a cross I got from an european exchange two years ago on reddit. Its properly a cross between a thai dragon and Hungarian wax according to the owner/maker of the cross. He described it as a bigger thai pepper and more sweet, but in F2 anything can happen so im looking forward to see what happens :).
IMG-5682.jpg

Next up, the flexuosum which have been growing very slowly, maybe its stunted a bit? I've tried to move it closer to the light, and I believe its responded a bit already. Time will tell. 
IMG-5683.jpg

My cappuccino tepin are however growing fast and looks great as well, replanted it yesterday into a bigger cube. 
IMG-5684.jpg

My kratky plant are starting to produce! 
IMG-5685.jpg

The next two pics are from my De Arbol easily the fastest plant. And my fist double pod! 
IMG-5686.jpg

IMG-5687.jpg

Next is Costa Rica red, starting to flower up, I really hope I can manage to make it produce. Never tasted a c. pubescens before and I really want to :D 
IMG-5622.jpg

And lastly my tomato, first "pod" is starting to get ripe! 
IMG-5691.jpg

Great update, Rasmus. Plants look nice and healthy.

Sorry about the San Pedro rocoto, missed that the
first time I read that post. Good that the Costa Rica
has rebounded.

PaulG said:
Great update, Rasmus. Plants look nice and healthy.
Sorry about the San Pedro rocoto, missed that the
first time I read that post. Good that the Costa Rica
has rebounded.

Yea that was a slight setback, never had a bad plant from Fatalii, could also be my environment was a bad match for it. Nevertheless its one less plant I have to find room for, so maybe I'll try again next year :).

Back