• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mildfruits 2020 hydroponic

Hi all! 

This is my second grow blog. You can find the first one here
I bought a lot of new equipment enough to warrant a new grow blog. 
Quick intro: Due to lack of outdoor growing space I've had to get creative with indoor growing without soil. 

I grow mainly with grodan blocks with automatic watering, from a nutrient tank using masterblend. 

Things that have changed from my last glog: 
I have bought another tent and light. 
I have started growing tomatoes indoor. 
New seeds! 
Also not mentioned in my last glog, but my lights and fans are controlled by a device called Shelly. Useful in everyday home automation, controllable from your phone with timers and monitoring. 

Lets get started with some pictures! 
IMG-5429.jpg

Heres my new tomato light a quantum board from HLG called 100V2. A little brother to my pepper light (quantum board HLG 260W)
IMG-5459.jpg

And here's my tomato tent with the light installed. 
IMG-5460.jpg

Heres my two tomatoes, Sugar lump and Muddy waters. Both are indeterminate, meaning they grow forever, so pruning will be necessary.

And now to the interesting part! 
A quick before and after of my pepper tent: 
IMG-5333.jpg

IMG-5461.jpg

Seeds: 
This year I have been so lucky to receive some wilds from CaneDog! Lots of cool varieties, more than I can grow unfortunately, but maybe some day! 

I also participated in a european seed exchange witch included some seeds from the US, so I also got seeds from Yekanfam Farms also a THP member. 

Seeds started: 
De Arbol (Fatalliseeds)
Aci Dolma (CaneDog)
Tepin Cappuccino (CaneDog)
C. Flexuosum (CaneDog)
Aji Amarillo (Fatalliseeds) 
Pimientos De Gernika (Fatalliseeds)
Rocoto Costa Rica (Fatalliseeds)
Rocoto San Pedro, Orange (Fatalliseeds)
Lemon Starrburst (Yekanfam Farms)
C. Galapagoense

This years theme is challenge. Previously I failed growing Aji Amarillo and C. pubescens varieties, this year I hope to change that! 
My list needs to be cut down to 6 so this is not my final list. 

I wish everyone a happy grow in 2020! 

I had one of my coworkers a few years ago give me a handful of tepin pods, I popped a few in my mouth, and wham!

I've read they literally perk a person up after eating them. Anyone experience that?

Devv said:
I had one of my coworkers a few years ago give me a handful of tepin pods, I popped a few in my mouth, and wham!

I've read they literally perk a person up after eating them. Anyone experience that?
That would be the endorphin rush, right?

PaulG said:
It is amazing how much heat the little c. annuum v Glabriusculum
peppers can have. Even the teeny bb-sized pods!
They really hit! 

Devv said:

I've heard the Cowboys in the old days used to eat them to stay awake at night. I don't know if its true, but they sure will keep you up  :P

I get regular harvests now, I figured I needed to start making hot sauces! My experience with fermenting is low, but I found a recipe that seemed foolproof using vacuum. I also got a chance to taste the cappuccino tepin, at last! 

IMG-0031.jpg

IMG-0033.jpg

Heres the peppers roughly chopped up, I did a mix of Aci dolma, Aji Amarillo, De Arbol, Chocolate ghost. I wish I had some Lemon Starburst ready, I think they would make a great yellow sauce. 
IMG-0034.jpg

Heres the peppers with 5% salt rubbed on them in a vacuum sealed package. This should work just as fine as a brine ferment, according to my recipe at least. I have no idea how the sauce will turn out, but this serves mostly as an experiment for vacuum fermenting. If it works I can hopefully enjoy my newly ordered hot sauce recipe book! 

IMG-0035.jpg

Heres the little cappuccino tepin. Looking all cute and innocent. 
IMG-0036.jpg

Just look at all these seeds, and yes, they all somehow fitted into that tiny pod. 
The taste is sharp right away. and like some browns a little "grassy" or floral. Not much taste just as the galapagoense, but I think this one would be perfect dried and then crushed over food to spice it up.

This remind me, the pod containing my Cappuccino Tepin x c. galapagoense is also ripe now, so I should get the seeds dried right away. 

I’m amazed by how many seeds came
from that little pod!

Not surprised by the lack of flavor, that
has been my experience with most of
the tiny pod varieties.

PaulG said:
I’m amazed by how many seeds came
from that little pod!

Not surprised by the lack of flavor, that
has been my experience with most of
the tiny pod varieties.

But the novelty of growing these varieties makes it all worth it anyway. Its fun to grow something out of the ordinary from time to time :)

Seems like you have a lot happening now MF.  Good timing on the recipe book as I'm sure you'll have plenty of opportunity to put it to use.  Do you have a general idea of how long you're going to let the pouch ferment - like maybe on the shorter end this time to get a sauce made sooner?

That does look like a lot of seeds from the capp tepin.  Seems like you crossed the cappuccino tepin x c. galapagoense in the right direction to get plenty of opportunities!  Are you planning to start that one soon?

Great to see things doing so well.

CaneDog said:
Seems like you have a lot happening now MF.  Good timing on the recipe book as I'm sure you'll have plenty of opportunity to put it to use.  Do you have a general idea of how long you're going to let the pouch ferment - like maybe on the shorter end this time to get a sauce made sooner?

That does look like a lot of seeds from the capp tepin.  Seems like you crossed the cappuccino tepin x c. galapagoense in the right direction to get plenty of opportunities!  Are you planning to start that one soon?

Great to see things doing so well.
Thanks buddy! 
Indeed, I hope to do more sauces in general going forward, and the vacuum bag method should be fairly quick as in 3-4weeks time. I just checked the bag today and it have begun to create CO2, so im excited :)

Yes, indeed I have just planted the seed today, im very curious on the germination time. The cappuccino took 28days, while the galapagoense took 7. But I have no idea what to expect, and that what's makes it fun I guess.  

Not the best weather today in Denmark, we just had 2 weeks of blazing hot sun, but on picture day we have a more authentic Danish summer with a dash of rain! 

IMG-0037.jpg

This beast have taken over my balcony, but to be fair, I didn't have much balcony to begin with. 
IMG-0038.jpg

Lots, and I mean LOTS of pods are forming. Im finally at peace, having pods on all my plants, and I feel like I broke the code for pubescents.. In reality the "code" in my case was properly just waiting for the right weather conditions. If I like this variety it feels natural to plant more pubescents, as I think my climate is made for this pepper. It does grow painfully slow, or maybe im just inpatient. 

IMG-0039.jpg

My Padron x Lemon spice f1 cross seems to like the kratky setup just fine. Im expecting flowers early next week ;)

IMG-0040.jpg

Heres my first Orange spice pod, so glad I was inspired by Lespaulde's glog to grow this variety. I do however have terrible experiences with growing jalapeños indoor. Often grow is more leaves than fruit production. Maybe this one is going to go better. 
IMG-0041.jpg

Heres just a fullsize picture. 
IMG-0042.jpg

This was the best pepper this grow so far. Aci Dolma. Just grow it everyone. Some times I wonder, what would happen with this crossed with a tepin? 

IMG-0043.jpg

IMG-0044.jpg

My Galapagoense, giant plant in a small can. So surprised it actually produced under these conditions, but I won't complain. 

Wow, lots happening in your flat, MF! You have
the urban grow down, my friend!

What's the plant behind the Orange Spice pod?

PaulG said:
Wow, lots happening in your flat, MF! You have
the urban grow down, my friend!

What's the plant behind the Orange Spice pod?

Thanks buddy! It does keep me busy from time to time  :P
Thats the De Arbol plant. It have produced tons of peppers this season, easily the biggest producer for me this season. Its a versatile pepper, that I use in almost anything. I just wish it had a tad more heat.  

Mildfruit said:
This was the best pepper this grow so far. Aci Dolma. Just grow it everyone. Some times I wonder, what would happen with this crossed with a tepin? 

Heck yes!  AAD x Capp Tepin.  Can you image how many seeds in each pod!?   :shocked:

Great to see that big rocoto bush finally setting pods en masse.  Between that and the AAD you should have some serious pod volume.  And the De Arbol too, right?  Seems you're getting a heck of a lot of production from a modest grow.

Looking forward to seeing how the flowers and pods look your Padron x Lemon spice. Not much longer to wait!

CaneDog said:

Heck yes!  AAD x Capp Tepin.  Can you image how many seeds in each pod!?   :shocked:

Great to see that big rocoto bush finally setting pods en masse.  Between that and the AAD you should have some serious pod volume.  And the De Arbol too, right?  Seems you're getting a heck of a lot of production from a modest grow.

Looking forward to seeing how the flowers and pods look your Padron x Lemon spice. Not much longer to wait!

Instead of growing for taste, maybe I should pursue the most filled pod ;) Haha I have no idea what will come of it, but maybe I should do the cross just for fun. 

So far the De Arbol are showering me in peppers, I've been giving most of it away to friends and family. But by the looks of it, the Rocoto are in the mist of producing so many peppers. I really hope I like the flavor, since its been quite a time investment so far :P

I predicted early next week, but seems like the plant couldn't wait so long.
IMG-0051.jpg

I gotta say, doing my very first cross is pretty exciting, normally every time a pod shows up on a new plant im excited to see if the pheno is correct. This time I have no idea what to expect, even the color im not sure of. Hope to do more of these in the future!

IMG-0052.jpg

Orange spice doing great :) 

Things are looking great as usual MF, hopefully the shitty weather these days wont set back your balcony grow too much! In any case your tent grow is firing on all cylinders with a nice and steady pod production it seems! :)

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

lespaulde said:
Things are looking great as usual MF, hopefully the shitty weather these days wont set back your balcony grow too much! In any case your tent grow is firing on all cylinders with a nice and steady pod production it seems! :)

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
Thanks Lespaulde! 
Yes indeed, the newest forecast is looking good for next week. Fingers crossed it will stay that way! So far my need is met by the supply from the tent  :P
After I was inspired by your glog I planted seeds for Orange spice, and the plant have been putting out lots of pods, how are yours doing? 
Orange Spice
IMG-0061.jpg

And another update on my first cross. The mixed leaf phenomenon I showed when the plant was young is stil happening in the later leafs. The plant is Pimentos de Padron x Lemon Spice, so the Padron was the mother plant. The new pod does however look very much like the lemon spice phenotype. 
IMG-0060.jpg

Still to early to say anything yet, but very fun to follow! 

What a long hibernation I've been in plant-wise  :surprised:
I've been running fast the last couple of months due to covid-19 (work related) and I simply didn't have the time for neither this glog or peppers in my spare time.
I had so little free time that my pepper growing hobby became a chore. I had to threw them all out, except one which I'll talk about in a second. 

However, in the past 2 weeks I've found the time and recharging my passion for growing peppers again, so I gave the old tent a scrub and started a few seeds! 

Heres the tent after being cleaned and ready for a new round of peppers! the rest of the room at the time looked like a mess as you can see ;)
IMG-0153.jpg

The remaining pepper that I couldn't bear to throw out was the Rocoto Costa Rica. And what a stunner. It keeps throwing out pods even today, it seems to love my Northern climate. I fell in love with these peppers, so next year I have to start more pubes! Any recommendations? 
IMG-0191.jpg

Heres a small harvest from a few day ago 
Billede-27-09-2020-17-13-58.png

I made the Costa Rica into my very first homemade hot sauce! And damn, im probably so biased but its soooo delicious. I really like rocotos in my sauce, as the heat feels more like a warm burn, instead of a sting from hell, that some sauces tend to taste like. I made this one with onions, apples, garlic a few gernika peppers, limes and some sugar. Im very pleased with how it turned out. I already ate one bottle so far :D   
IMG-0189.jpg

IMG-0190.jpg

Last picture for today. The lineup that have germinated so far is: 
Biquinho Yellow, I grew the red variant a year or two ago and was pleased with it :)
De gernika, again, a superb de padron pepper type. 
Bahamian goat. This will go into a solo tent for some experiments.
"Dutch chili" Is a pepper type I ones bought in a store. Very simpel red kitchen type pepper. 
Poblano, is still germinating. 
Yellow Cayenne. 

The rest of my space is reserved for rocotos, which im still browsing at the moment. Now im off to catch up on all the glogs I've missed the last couple of monts. I hope you all are safe and are enjoying the last few harvests this year  :party:

Hey MF.  Glad to hear things may be easing up on you a bit.  And great to see the new start! 

How many varieties of rocoto are you planning to add to your grow?  Any preferences as far as colors?  I can't fault SB for suggesting Montufar - I think they're great.  Plenty of other fun ones, too.

Glad to hear your rocoto sauce turned out so good!  I haven't yet been able to come up with a really solid rocoto sauce and you've inspired me to try again and maybe with some new ideas.

Cheers  :cheers:

Back