• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

breeding Minimizing Cross Pollinating

I'm growing about 2 dozen plants in pots/bags. They will be lined up along my fence.

I want to minimize cross-pollination and, since annuums and chinese don't readily cross as I understand, I was thinking of alternating annuum and chinese down the line. I would keep duplicate plants next to each other though - for instance, 4 ghost plants, 2 jalapenos, 2 scotch bonnets, 2 cayenne, etc. on down the line.

Will this help to minimize crossing?

They do cross very well. Vincent made a special post about cross pollination.

If you want to minimize it, put bags on the whole plant.

They will definitely cross, and do it quite readily. You have to plant them a minimum of 1 mile away from each other to prevent cross pollination. Or as stated, put a mesh bag over the plant/flower

They will definitely cross, and do it quite readily. You have to plant them a minimum of 1 mile away from each other to prevent cross pollination. Or as stated, put a mesh bag over the plant/flower
Got a question for you : do you know if bags seriously prevent cross pollination from wind ? I mean from bees that's for sure, but with the wind I don't know what's the % of risk ... What's your experience about it ?

Got a question for you : do you know if bags seriously prevent cross pollination from wind ? I mean from bees that's for sure, but with the wind I don't know what's the % of risk ... What's your experience about it ?

I'm not sure about the wind, I've never worried about isolating plants so I really have no experience with it other than just what I've learned on here or read elsewhere.

Just thinking out loud. Wouldn't the wind self pollinate a flower before it would carry pollen over from another plant?

Just thinking out loud. Wouldn't the wind self pollinate a flower before it would carry pollen over from another plant?
I think what Jeff means is that the plant have a higher probability to auto pollinate herself in a bag, rather than receiving some pollen from another plant crossing 2 bags from a few yards. And like for all of us when we won our first race in life : the first to cross the line is the winner.

That was my question to you in fact.

Thanks for the info. I'm not looking to take any extreme measures. I just wanted to give my self the best odds that if I saved any seeds I would regrow the same plants next time.

Thanks for the info. I'm not looking to take any extreme measures. I just wanted to give my self the best odds that if I saved any seeds I would regrow the same plants next time.

Chances are even if you don't take any measures at all and save seed and replant next year you probably would get the same plant.

I also am highly interested in this topic, I plan to bag also, but from my general assumption, this will only help to prevent cross pollination by bugs / bees, wind is another story.

im going to do some digging to see what i can come up with.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/agf-fact/0153.html

from what i understand thus far, these are your options to prevent wind pollination.
  • Space, and lots of it
  • hand pollinate before the bees or wind can
  • glue
  • only plant specific types of plants. IE, only one type of pepper plant.
  • Maturity date

Wind would be a very small factor because if you bag all your plants that would mean the wind would first have to hit the first flower shooting the pollen out of the first bag and then crossing around a foot of space and hit through the second bag and then hit a flower

You would have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than the odds of wind cross pollinating plants after bagging

No one works in a genebank or in a greenhouse ? I guess cross pol is like HA (ex: n+1) for servers, they must have some formula to get the probability of risk according to some factors (ex: like if you put that kind of bag at X yards, the chances of cross pol are less than 10%, or something like that)

Lol. I guess I should have worded it a plant that produces similar pods, not a hybrid.

That is what I meant. Chances are if you take no measures at all and save seeds and replant next year you would not get a hybrid. There are people here that plant hundreds of plants and don't take any isolation measures and get less than 10% of hybrids. Even though plants can and will cross pollinate, it actually doesnt happen all that often. Is there a chance it can happen? Of course, but in all reality it doesnt happen that often. Think about how many pods a plant produces in a season, you would have to pick the pod that happened to be cross pollinated and save seeds from that pod, and pick those exact seeds from a baggie full of seeds that were from non-crosspollinated pods. The odds are that you would not pick crosspollinated seeds

Back