• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Minimum hardening off period

I have a couple trays of peppers and tomatoes I want to get in the garden before the weekend. They are currently under 4' t12 lights. I could babysit them tomorrow move for more sun thursday and plant friday afternoon. Usually I like a full week but things are coming up quickly and if I don't do it now it will have to wait almost 2 weeks.

2 days is a very short period of time to harden off properly!
But if ya had to do it fast , as I have had to do sometimes!
Only do it if ya can really babysit!
I stick em in full sun and watch for droop!
sometimes in just 20 minutes , move em to the shade and they perk up!
Rinse and repeat!
Just be sure to babysit very intently!
Ya forget for an hour and ya got dead babies!

Good Luck!
:cheers:

Kevin

If the plants are bought at a greenhouse nursery, they are already a lot further ahead of the game than if they have been growing indoors under lights or even next to a window.

But even nursery grown plants still need to be watched closely for the first few days, and it is probably a good idea to put them in the shade and an area protected from the wind for the first day or two.

And do bring them in at night, until the weather warms up enough for them to be at ease outside overnight.

dvg

Here is a something i found from this Site

3-day quickie method for use during mild weather. Be sure to water them as needed. Day One: Put seedlings outside in a sheltered, mostly shaded location and bring them in at night. Day Two: Give seedlings a half day of sun, and cover them at night. Day Three: Put seedlings in sun for most of the day, and let them stay outside for the night, uncovered but out of the wind.

i don't even harden mine off. they just go in full sun and i leave them alone, so long as they're large enough and healthy enough they'll survive and power through it. after my final repotting, they go into raised beds and they fend for themselves.

If you can't babysit them all day, just find a place under a tree to put them. They can get sun flecks all day and not the intense direct sun. The cool spring temps and breeze will help make those little guys stronger.

Definitely try to harden off for more than 2 or 3 days. Its sad to see people lose so many plants every year simply due to impatience

All my plants have been outside for 6 days and the earliest I will plant is this weekend. If you really have to plant after only 2 days, you could put some shade cloth over them and stake them.

there is a possible way to plant them
where they need to go without moving
the plants in and out of the sun.

just pick where to plant them and build
them a little shade structure where
the need arises you can use garbage bags
on coathangers for temporary shade
there is no appearance rulebook in your garden :dance:
make little easy up type of things from pvc pipe or anything
do not buy the "only one way to do it" BS

you can take the things down and put them back up if you want/ need to
if you make them simple