• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Miracle Gro

I am also a noob grower and right now my baby Butch T is growing strong in Miracle Grow mixed with an organic compost. He is very happy also I have Uba Tubas and Peach Habanero that have been fed with MG and they are happy too. Overall it works for me.

Good Luck :)

My wife picked up some of their seed starter (I sent her in for Jiffy seed starter). Can't say I'm a big fan. Lots of sticks and it seems harder to wet than others.

I use their fertilizer, but don't really fertilize my chiles that much - maybe twice a season. Agree with Brandon's advice to apply at half the recommended rate. Kind of hard to do if you are using the granular stuff and one of their hose end sprayers, but just don't put too much on each plant. I actually burned some Aji Amarillo plants with MG last year. My fault, not theirs.

I've used their potting soil in the past too. Had good results, but don't add any other ferts to it and do not overwater. Water only when your plants are looking really thirsty (e.g., wilting). MG potting soil has more than enough fertilizer on its own. IMHO, you would be better off with ProMix BX or a homemade blend as a potting medium.

As for there fertilizer? I think it's a matter of not knowing how to use it IMO.. I must say, I've never killed a plant, or seen bad results.

Problem is.. people don't realize that with miracle grow they already have over the top strong doses so with peppers you want to cut them in half, atleast, everytime.

Peppers, especially hot ones, will respond horribly to a heavy dose of fertilizer. So as long as you cut it, You'll be okay. I know it's not the best fert out there for a long shot, but its affordable compared to most, it works, you just have to know what to use it on and at how much strength. I mean come on.. if their ferts were really sh**.. Do you think you'd see them stacked on every nursery, super market, garden center, and hardware stores shelves? There's a reason for that :)

Brandon

Agree with what Brandon said. Use MG fert. on peppers, tomatos, flowers. Never had a problem, have to be smart about it. I've tried the fancy, costly, esoteric ferts., did not notice a damn bit of difference. But then i'm growing in good soil with high organic matter. Usually stop ferting peppers once they are established and before flowering.

Is this going into containers or ground? If in containers, you have to buy the potting mix. If it goes
into the ground, potting soil is fine. Check to see if your Home Depot has Espoma garden- tone or
Espoma Tomato-tone. I think it's better than Miracle Grow Fertilizer. You can also buy some
bonemeal to put in the potting soil, there is a Miracle Grow bone meal. This is not for seed starting,
just for big containers when they go out. You can use the Miracle Grow for seed starting, but it's
not ideal for that.

You might want talk to a local greenhouse/grower to see what they use. I get a mix from a local one that I use for both seed starting and as a seedling growing medium. Eliminates one repotting step for me.

Yes to the bone meal. Use at planting time and one side dressing application 30 days after that. Again you might want to check out a local supply; buy mine from a feed store (scooped into a brown paper bag) and save $ over "name" brand.

They do carry "Lambert" brand peat moss....What did you combine it with?

With Lambert LM3 you only need to add water and ferts.

I will have to chime in and say, you must be careful with any fertilizer you use when it comes to growing success or failure. It can harm just as much help. Good topic of discussion though. I'm sure someone on THP has done a side by side comparison before lol. Lets keep this subject going and get some knowledge rolling around in here. "Alabama! Where you at!" :hell:

SO TRUE!!

That's why once I move the plants outside for final potting I use Pro-Gro Organic Fertilizer 5-3-4. Derived From: Vegetable protein meals (such as alfalfa meal, cocoa meal, cotton seed meal, kelp meal, peanut meal, and soybean meal), Animal protein meals (such as blood meal, crab meal, dried whey, feather meal, and fish meal), (natural) nitrate of soda, (natural) sulfate of potash, (natural) sulfate of potash/magnesia, greensand, and phosphate rock.
http://www.dirtworks.net/Organic-Fertilizer/Pro-Gro.html

This is not what I would consider to be a hot fert which produced incredible results for me!!

That's exactly what I paid for it! Had to buy one of those Jiffy heated greenhouses to get a heat pad - wasn't thrilled with that but it is what it is...

Back