• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

mjdiamond83's 2012 Grow Log

I'm trying to get a head start on the upcoming season. This is my first year growing superhots, so I'm hoping the early start will help me get some pods, despite having a pretty short season. I started one plant each of Trinidad Scorpion Yellow (first pic) and Trinidad Scorpion Red (right side of 2nd pic) at the end of October and aside from a minor (luckily) aphid attack on my TS Yellow, they're doing fairly well. I think I need to hit them with a little calmag soon though.
IMG_7599.jpg

IMG_7600.jpg

I planted a bunch of Chinense seeds on 1/10 and 1/11:
7 Pot Jonah (3)
7 Pot Red (4)
Yellow 7 Pot (2)
Yellow Trinidad Scorpion (2)
Trinidad Scorpion Morouga (3)
Madballz (3)
Bhut x Douglah (3)
Goronong (2)
Bhut Jolokia (3)
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia (3)
Dorset Naga (3)
Yellow Bhut (3)
Orange Bih Jolokia (2)
Fatalii (3)
Datil (3)
White Habanero (3)
Scotch Bonnet (3)
Aji Cachucha (3)
Chocolate Habanero (2)
Paper Lantern
Chocolate Cherry Chinense (2)

I also have 10 Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon, 4 Cajamarca x Chocolate Bhut, 4 SB7J, and 4 Bonda Ma Jacques seeds germinating in paper towels in ziplocks on the pellet stove.

IMG_7601.jpg

I was originally going to try and grow twice that many Hots/Superhots, but I finally sided with reason, and decided to cut back a bit. I'm starting a restaurant with my brother in May, so I'm going to grow more mild/medium peppers that will be more practical to make a sauce for the average patron.
Right now a lot of my grow box is being taken up by my first attempt at hydroponics and those two pepper plants. In another month or so when I have to start my other peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, tomatillos, etc., the hydro is going to get moved and the Chilly Chile and Scorpion are going to the bay windowsill.

IMG_7603.jpg

Matt,

There sure isn't a shortage of plants or pods in your garden. I'm glad to here that your Bonnets are producing and the Yellow 7's are ripening.

My Goats Weed turns black fairly quick, turning from black to red takes time. It could take up to a month. You'll see a whole bunch ripening at once. As Shane said in his glog they make great powder..........and they sure do!

Good luck with the rest of your grow

Greg

Thanks for the info Greg. I'm fairly certain 'pico de gallo' is a separate species and I'm not growing Goat's Weed. I've had pods on my plants for about 3 weeks and none are showing any signs of turning black. It probably shares some common ancestry though and is definitely a cool looking plant.

Yeah Matt, if they're not black the moment the sun first hits them they are not Goat's Weed for sure. Plant looks almost identical in your photo. If the sun can hit the baby pod inside the flower it will be black before the petals drop. I posted up a couple pics of your seeds all grown up over on my Glog...here's one of them.
P1020054.jpg

There are about 5 or 6 pods in there somewhere, and about 40 or 50 more soon to come. I have three going the two in containers look like this, and the inground one is a little stunted. It was so late to arrive it didn't get the prime garden real estate!

Thanks again for the seeds! These plants are rock stars!
Shane

Shane, you're welcome man. That plant looks gorgeous! It's already caught up to mine. You've definitely got a nice combo of climate and care going there! I was a little worried about flower drop and lack of production after the first and second round of flowering, but the plant is setting a ton of nice looking 'true' scotch bonnet pods now. I'm gonna go snap a pic of it now.

Here's a couple pics of those scotch bonnets. Some of them are even coming in with a little bit of a stinger!
IMG_9029.jpg

IMG_9031.jpg

Here's a pic of my Chocolate Bhut x Cajamarca that I grew from seeds from Spicegeist. It's probably the most productive plant I've got. Its only about 18-24 inches tall, but it has about 20 full sized pods and 20-30 small pods. Some should be ripening up soon. I'm looking forward to seeing what color they take on at the ripe stage.
IMG_9035.jpg

A nice cluster of 'Joe's Round' peppers.
IMG_9038.jpg

I really enjoy glogs like yours brother...riches to rags and back to riches! Great job on your recovery, your plants look freakin perfect! Wait! I see one yellow leaf on the Joe's Round! You're not flawless afterall! Can't wait for my SBs to ripen up! I've heard such great things about them...I would've had to wait another season if it weren't for you! That first pic is awesome!

Matt, you have rebounded and are in the pink with your plants. Way to hang in there. I'm always amazed at how much licking these guys can take and then bounce back with a vengeance. Mine almost froze back in early spring, and now you can't even tell!

As I look at this picture, I see one of my Aji Amarillos - vine like growth with kind of droopy leaves. The base of the stem lignifies, but the upper branches and stems maintain a tender, fluted, vine-like appearance. The pods are just starting to set, and I see a little difference there. The blossom ends on mine don't look quite the same, but I'll be able to tell more in a few days or week. Have you been able to nail down the i.d. yet?
IMG_8651.jpg

Good growin' to you Matt! Always great to see a success story on the forum, brah!

I really enjoy glogs like yours brother...riches to rags and back to riches! Great job on your recovery, your plants look freakin perfect! Wait! I see one yellow leaf on the Joe's Round! You're not flawless afterall! Can't wait for my SBs to ripen up! I've heard such great things about them...I would've had to wait another season if it weren't for you! That first pic is awesome!

Thanks Shane! The nice thing about taking close up pics is I can hide the imperfections! I have lots of yellow leaves, but the majority are pushing out pods at a nice rate, so I'm not too worried about it. Next year I need to mix in some potting soil and perlite along with the composted manure (it gets dry on the top but stays too moist down deep).

Matt, you have rebounded and are in the pink with your plants. Way to hang in there. I'm always amazed at how much licking these guys can take and then bounce back with a vengeance. Mine almost froze back in early spring, and now you can't even tell!

As I look at this picture, I see one of my Aji Amarillos - vine like growth with kind of droopy leaves. The base of the stem lignifies, but the upper branches and stems maintain a tender, fluted, vine-like appearance. The pods are just starting to set, and I see a little difference there. The blossom ends on mine don't look quite the same, but I'll be able to tell more in a few days or week. Have you been able to nail down the i.d. yet?
IMG_8651.jpg

Good growin' to you Matt! Always great to see a success story on the forum, brah!

Thanks for stopping by Paul! Isn't it amazing how resilient they are? I've given them about all they can handle and they're still going to reward me with a solid harvest.
I still haven't gotten an ID on that plant, but I'd be thrilled if an Aji Amarillo seed got mixed in at some point and that's what it ends up being. I imagine I'm not too far away from getting color to those pods, which should help a little bit trying to narrow it down. I did take a bite of an unripe one last week, it had thick flesh like a jalapeno, pretty much no flavor, and was quite bitter, so I'm not sure if its a baccatum. The two baccatums I've grown (aji limon and inca red drop both have some decent flavor even when they're unripe. Even if I don't figure out what kind of pepper it is, I'll still enjoy it, if it gains some flavor when it ripens up.

Nice on the choco bhut x cajamarca, probably some hybrid vigor making it grow so strong... I remember not really liking the Cajamarca so much for taste, but they were okay as a fresh snack, almost like a baccatum... hopefully the cross will improve the flavor...

I'd be thrilled if an Aji Amarillo seed got mixed in at some point and that's what it ends up being.
I have a few Peruvian Aji seeds left, and will hopefully have some
of Pepper Gal's aji's producing seeds - be glad to spread them
around, Matt! Let me know if you're interested, bro!

I have a few Peruvian Aji seeds left, and will hopefully have some
of Pepper Gal's aji's producing seeds - be glad to spread them
around, Matt! Let me know if you're interested, bro!

Paul, that would be awesome! Next year I'm planning on cutting back on the superhots to focus more on the more all-purpose peppers, so that generosity would definitely fit the bill.

Paul, that would be awesome! Next year I'm planning on cutting back on the superhots to focus more on the more all-purpose peppers, so that generosity would definitely fit the bill.
Consider it done my friend - just don't let me forget (senoritis)!
I'm growing supers this year mainly because Spankycolts gave
me a bunch of ghost varieties; wasn't really in my plan : )

About time for another update. I finally got a harvest that was more than one pepper; 3 ripe inca red drops and one green one that fell off when I plucked off the ripe peppers, white bullet hab, yellow 7 pot, and an SB7J.
IMG_9043.jpg

Criolla de cocina ripening up. They turn to a real brilliant red.
IMG_9054.jpg

My hot portugal plant is getting loaded up with nice 6-8" pods.
IMG_9055.jpg

This one is for Patrick. My first F2 SB7J plant wasn't setting pods shaped anything like the pepper I pulled the seeds from, but my second plant looks like its going to hold the phenotype from the F1. The pod is only a few days old, but it looks much different than those from the other plant.
IMG_9050.jpg

Aji Cachucha starting to ripen up. There was a ripe baby pod on there the other day. I popped it, looking forward to the chinense flavor without the heat. After a few seconds my mouth got a real strong burn; I think it must have crossed with something last year because it definitely had heat on par with a scotch bonnet.
IMG_9057.jpg

Lastly, that mystery pepper is going wild. The plant is about 2 feet tall, but there must be at least 75 pods on it already.
IMG_9056.jpg

That mystery pepper is interesting. Beautiful looking plant and pods, nice deep green and healthy looking. Looks like the pods have a couple of different shapes. Is it chinense do you think? Any idea on color? Cool plant.

Anyway, looking good!

Thanks for stopping by Andy! That mystery pepper is definitely a chinense, but that's as far as I can narrow it down. A lot of the larger pods have a distinct top and bottom, and are segmented up top, like a lot of the Trinidad peppers. I have a couple unaccounted for Aji Cachucha plants, so that could be what it is, the shape is fairly similar to those peppers, but the cachucha seems to have a much less uniform pod shape than this one.

Hey, Mr. Diamond! You have some great pods coming along.
My Inca Red Drops are more elongated, but otherwise look like
yours with the funny nipple on the end. What are you going to
do with yours?

Keep that grow goin' strong, bro!

Hey Paul! Are your Inca Red Drops from Wayright's seed stock too? Mine only get 1" long, but they're one of my favorite peppers. The flavor is great, and the heat is just right without being overwhelming. I'm going to use some green ones for a pepper sauce (whole pods in vinegar style). The ripe ones are going to get powdered up. Next year I'm going to plant about 10 of them and get a bumper crop. What do you think of them?

Back