• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Modern day computer/smartphone usage is literally destroying our eyesight.

I will tell you my story and i have been using classes since i was around 12 years old and how my eyesight started dramatically get better after i stopped staring computer/smartphones for hours on end and started to actually use my eyes for distance vision. The story beginned last year after my eyes started to hurt, they got really red and my eyes literally teared in one minute mark after either computer or smartphone usage. I did not know what was wrong with my eyes at the moment, but now i know what they wanted to tell me all along.

Infact my eyesight have improved so much that it is a sort of miracle,these values that i had with eyeclasses from 2013:

sf left eye -2,25 right eye -2.50

my current ones are:

left eye -1.75 right eye -2.00

and my eyes still hurt a little bit because the current ones are still too strong, so i ordered new pairs after the visit to the eye doctor who measured my eyesight with a machine and the eye doctor also said my eyes are perfectly healthy too on top of that:

Left eye -1,25 right eye -1.50

The improvement was literally made just over a half a year and i am planning to see if my eyesight will infact improve further after some time have passed with the new classes so wish me luck... :P

I did not start this yourney of mine with eye improvement without the help of certain website called endmyopia.org, i was a sceptic at first but now i believe that myopia is not infact a genetic disorder, but your own doing is worsening your eyesight with endless computer and smartphone usage and your the classes do the rest of the job. I have not used any close distance classes at all to make my eye sight improve so much, i just stopped staring at computer all day long and started using my eye for distance vision with the help of reduced - in the classes.

You do not need to believe any of this stuff i have told you as it sounds like bullshit for most people out there, but i hope somebody our there is smart enough to see that the doctors and all the optic guys are not always right about your eyesight and why it gets worse over the years.

Go and check out the site i mentioned, the knowledge might make you desparate and angry at yourself like it did for me and most people will not believe you even if you literally can see the improvement in your eyesight in a about 2-3 months time. This is not a improvement that happens quickly and it needs time for the eyes and brain to start fixing your eyesight together by slowly taking the - off of your classes and literally using your eyes for distance vision instead of endless close up work.

I don't believe that it's bullshit, but I also don't believe that myopia *isn't* a thing.  It's been pretty well accepted since even before the days of widespread computer (of any kind) and smartphone usage, that the natural deterioration of the eye, begins sometime around 40 years of age.  I was present during a briefing for a LASIK eye procedure once, and got the entire rundown on myopia in human adults, and have found the subject quite fascinating ever since.  LOL

I would argue that fluorescent lights are as bad, if not worse than, LED screens.   I'm particularly sensitive to this type of lighting.  Fluoros oscillate at something like 2700 cycles per second, and may lead to rapid (but subtle) eye twitching, in those whose eyes involuntarily perceive the oscillations.  I cannot work in an office with fluorescent, as it takes about 30 seconds before my eyes start to feel like they've been flash burned by looking at arc flash from a welder.  I've actually quit jobs that don't let me put the lights out over my desk, because I just can't (and won't) tolerate the lighting.

Maybe it's not the color of light, but the intensity of the light, and  focal minima. (short distance to target)

I think it's pretty intuitive that focusing on something 18" away for extended periods of time, isn't going to do your eyes any favors...  Have you ever seen a computer geek who didn't have glasses or contacts? 

I used to have 20/10 vision and when I took my kids to get their eyes checked I was having trouble with the 20/20 stuff a little bit.

I work on a computer all day, sometimes my eyes get tired. But my eyesight is perfect, no reading glass, and I'm in my 40s. Outside work, I prefer to read a physical book, not an e-book. And spend as little time as possible on my phone/computer; I've only had a smart phone for maybe less than 2 years. I really don't know what this means, but there it is.

This topic is for those that have glasses meants for distance vision and using those for too much close up work and if you overwork you eyes with too much close up, you notice that eye zoom locking in the close up position when you dont see too well in the distance..how long this lasts varies from person to person and age.

Voodoo 6 said:
When ever I visit the eye doctor, he just says get out.. and then my dog bites him.

You know i dont like those optic place no more after i learned some hard truths how they put as much as power to your glasses they can get away with and you will be a returning customer once your vision start to get worse everytime you visit them.

The eye doctor i visited last time actually said that, they might have put too much power to my glasses over the years, i think partly because my eyes got tired of that constant computer use all the time and this is part of why my vision started to get much better in a rapid fashion after my so called life change, less computers more outside walking to re-learn my eyes to see much better without the help of overpowered glasses.

If you work in a computer job, you need to make it a priority to reduce overhead glare - and above all else - look up and far away, at least once every 15 minutes.   There is nothing that you are working on that is more important than your eyesight.

I've been working at a computer for 22 years, and I still do not require eyeglasses, for any task.  However, my eyes (as I'm sure yours, as well) tell me when they need a break.  I make it a point to pay attention.  Whenever I get a new job, I find 2-3 objects in the room - at varying distances from halfway, to full length in the room - that are within my line of sight, that I can periodically look up, and focus on.  It makes a world of difference, no matter what type of screen you're working on.

Avoid white background screens, and block out any "incidental" lighting.  That is, a light that is placed in the room, such that you are seeing it like the sun on the horizon, over the top bezel of your monitor.  Or the one that's perfectly placed in your peripherals. 

By the same token, your brightness should be in harmony with the ambient lighting in the room.  If you're in a pitch black room, you don't want to crank the brightness on your monitor.  If you're in a brightly lit room, you don't want an underintensified screen.  In a perfect world there would be back lighting, to help make that transition between lighting.  But obviously, when you're in an office, that probably doesn't work.  In the home is a different story, though.

Everyone is different, just like some people drink like a fish and live till their 90's while others get a half life.
I have to have three glasses for full vision, two for within four feet. Generally I ware the mid range one but sometimes in the morning my eyes are more blurry and I use the one for closer work like I am now. All about genetics unfortunately.

dragonsfire said:
Everyone is different, just like some people drink like a fish and live till their 90's while others get a half life.
I have to have three glasses for full vision, two for within four feet. Generally I ware the mid range one but sometimes in the morning my eyes are more blurry and I use the one for closer work like I am now. All about genetics unfortunately.
I have tri-focal lenses in my glasses. Lower for reading and close, center for approx 4 to ten feet, and top is distance correction.

I have been using my reduced distance glasses of  left -1.25 and right -1.50 for a few days now for testing purposes and i already can see some improvements in my closeup seeing without classes in the morning. I also have quite a bit of astigmatism correction in my lenses, but if that is also have been produced by the lenses over the years and my brain/eyes have been used to the stimulus, then astigmatism could very well be starting going to down too by using less astigmatism correction over time and let the eyes/brain re-wire themself little by little...So time will tell as any vision improments will take their time to happen and this is not a miracle cure by any meants or something that happens quickly.

Back