• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Mole test #1

2 cans (4 cups) chicken broth
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 medium finely chopped onion
    3 large cloves chopped garlic
    1 teaspoon dried or palm size fresh oregano
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 or more fresh or frozen peppers of your            choice.
      (I used 1 smallish Reaper)
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 bar 90% (or better) Chocolate (3.5 oz)
    1 teaspoon pepper seeds.
      Salt
      Pepper

Prep:
Finely chop onions, garlic, oregano (if fresh)
Roast pepper seeds OUTSIDE till almost black, cool and grind them to the consistancy of salt

Directions:

Heat oil in a large saucepan over med.
    low heat.
    Add onion, garlic, oregano, cumin and cinnamon.
    Cook until almost soft, or caramelize
    (Your choice)
    Put in blender with Chiles and flour and 1 can broth (2 cups)
    Liquify
    Put in saucepan and heat to boil on medium high.
    Whisk in other can (2 cups) of broth and add ground roasted seeds.
    Boil until reduced,stirring occasionally.
    Add Chocolate, salt and pepper to taste.(Careful---sample often, easy to add too much salt.)
    Reduce heat and stir constantly until desired consistancy is reached.

Hmmmm.
Thought it a bit of a creeper with just the Reaper, so added a bunch of my pepper salt---3 or 4 good shakes to add an immediate hit on first taste.
Ended up a bit too salty.

Recommendations?
I have true Mexican chocolate (brought back from Mexico), but though the added sugar and vanilla would be too much.
I wanted something a bit more true to something more----Aztec?

I know. Adding flour is a shortcut to standing there for hours waiting for it to boil down.

I just cooked the onion to soft--should I have caramalized?
Hints for a better result?

No mexican chile's? New Mexico's or Pasilla Ancho's? That would be my suggestion for what you need to make it more "Axtec" lol. I have seen some moles made basically with just broth, chocolate and pumpkin seeds. Mole is like Chili, different everywhere you go. The story says that a famous priest or bishop was coming to town so the local nuns created Mole Poblano as a special dish to serve him. That is why typically Mole is served for special occasions, and needs to be "developed" by stirring and cooking. Mole has evolved into red, green, brown, yellow, with tons of varying ingredients. The mole you are making is absolutely nothing like the one I make, which is great because all Mole is good mole. I have however never heard of using pepper seeds and oregano. It is a sauce that requires nuts and seeds and some fruit. Mine has sesame seeds, almonds, pine nuts, peanuts, raisins and a banana. The beauty of a well balanced Mole is a perfect balance between heat and sweet. I would never put a Reaper in my mole... Too strong of flavor and a little too hot. I stick with about 3-6 dried habaneros.

Mole can be whatever you want, just keep researching, and tweaking it until you get it where you want. I tweaked my recipe for about 10 years before I wrote it in stone. I haven't changed anything about it in the last decade.... It's perfect! I have been experimenting with Mole Verde, and that is a whole different animal. Completely different structure and flavor profile.

Keep making it and you will develop it!

PICTURES!!!!!!!!!

Pics: 

1463119_10152019732030340_730066889_n.jpg

1468605_10152019732045340_1704464222_n.jpg

:D

By "more aztec" I mean like damned hot with cocoa and really south of the border taste.
My taste buds are almost immune to "Mexican Mole'" so I wanted something with more bite

Pic of my mole'????

It's chocolate brown in a jar. ;)
All brown.
In a jar.
I only got one really good hint from a Mexican chef-----roasting the pepper seeds till almost black.
I am sure the original didn't use milk chocolate, but 90% pure was as close as I could get.
I have a jar of commercial mole to compare it to, but I don't like the flavor of that one. (Dona Maria)

The recipe is a blend of all that I could find, but the best I found I didn't want to spend days making. (Fed to the Mexican prez at the white house).

Had some from a very popular street vendor in the town square of Puerto Escondido a few years back that I would love to come close to recreating----with a bunch more heat.

Someone said Mexican oregano was the trick, but I am sure there is someone here with the "magic ingredient" I am missing.
Chocolate, cumin, cinnamon, and chicken broth seem right---the chocolate flavor works---but something is missing-----------?

It's a fairly well known coffee port, Puerto Escondido, could that be it?

I have heard pumpkin seeds and fruit, but to make it right I have to use what is available at the source, and not much besides limes, mangoes, banannas is local, and I never saw a pumpkin there, nor pinion pines.

Must be someone here with experience on the very southern coast of Mexico who knows what ingredient I am missing.

Not trying to have a contest, trying to recreate a flavor, but with more heat.
I chose a reaper because I could use just 1 and not impart much flavor from it, just add heat.

Though it is possible that ancho's made the trip from central Mexico (their origin) to the southern coast of Oaxaca, I would think it more likely some things made the shorter and easier trip up from Guatamala, or from other places along the pacific coast.

Just asking if anyone who may have lived in the area knows what I may be missing.

In my opinion you are missing ground bread or nuts/seeds for the proper consistency and flavor. The tsp of pepper seeds doesn't really cut it. Try ground toasted pipian (pumpkin seeds), peanuts, stale bread, or a combo. And take the flour out. Pulse the bread till a crumb, or pulverize the nuts/seeds and this is your thickener. A cemita roll (from Puebla, MX) works really well, since it's an egg roll with sesame seeds. Cemita plus pipan. Good combo. A few peanuts if you like that peanuty flavor in your mole. If you can't find a cemita roll use brioche or challah; also egg breads.

Hmmm. Good point. The flour doesn't add the right texture, and may be the flavor that is missing.
I'll have to find out what the local favorite pan artesanal is made from.

Back