• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mooglog 2013/2014

The first round of seeds are soaked and sown. 
All chinenses to start off,  other species to start in a month or so.

7 Pot BrainStrain Red
7 Pot Burgundy
7 Pot Jonah
7 Pot Jonah (spiky)
7 Pot Jonah Yellow
7 Pot Primo
7 Pot Primo Orange
7 Pot SR Red
7 Pot Yellow
7 Pot Yellow (different source)
Aji Panca
Antillais Caribbean
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Beni Highlands
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon
Bhut Jolokia Peach
Bhut Jolokia x Habanero White Giant f3
Bhut Jolokia x Pimenta De Neyde
Bih Jolokia
Black Naga
CGN 21500
Datil
Devils Tongue Yellow
Dorset Naga
Fatalii Chocolate
Fatalii Yellow
Guadalupe Black
Habanero Big Sun
Habanero Chocolate
Habanero Green
Habanero Mustard
Habanero Peach
Habanero Peruvian White
Habanero Purple
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion F4
Nagabon Jolokia
Pimenta De Neyde
Seasoning Pepper (thanks Micca :) )
Snow White
THSC Naga 7
THSC Red Savina
Tobago Seasoning
Trinidad 7Pot Barrack Pore
Trinidad Douglah
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Red
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Yellow
Trinidad Scorpion Sunrise
Wasp

Once they sprout they'll go into the new, bigger and hopefully better hydro system. 

Ouch... that's a lot of time and gelt to put into a project that won't last longer than a season... and maybe not that long. Maybe you can make another one like the first and finish it properly while the plants continue on in the first tub for now? Any chance of pics of your seedlings Moo?

PeriPeri said:
Hey Moo, great plants... looking real healthy. I also had aphids on seedlings this season... but didn't result in any fatalities oddly enough - Neem Oil always does the trick for me ;)
I should prolly pick up some of that for the recurrent gnat probs I encounter. The current stuff I use doesn't seem to bother them. :(

Thanks for all the comments.  Been offline and busy for a while but getting back into it now.

All the equipment failures discouraged me a bit but the weather really rubbed it in.  The other side of Australia has had record high temps for early spring but over here its been like winter decided to hang around for two months after everyone was sick of it :P  

So I haven't started another lot of seedlings yet but the potted up ones are finally getting some sun and warmth. 

I've turned the green house into a shade house.
gallery_3629_101_507088.jpg

Most of these will be going in the ground in a week or two.
gallery_3629_101_306938.jpg

gallery_3629_101_378142.jpg

The biggest plants on the top shelves used to be on the bottom shelf where they were sheltered so they grew better.  I've moved them around. 

Been giving them a feed of weak seasol and powerfeed every watering and its made a big difference.

I've got a few overwinters I'll try to take a pic of tomorrow. 

I did the same thing with my shitty made in china greenhouse. The cover blew off, all the green tabs ripped off the plastic so now Its got some sun shade zip tied to it and my little seedling sit on that to get the sun! Awesome stuff dude! I'm over the moon now that those insane temps have moved on. I tell you what, I'd take winter weather over those near 40c spring days anyday!

Ive learned alot from this from, I think next season I'll be trying your method of seed germination!

Looking good moo moo!

megamoo said:
The other side of Australia has had record high temps for early spring but over here its been like winter decided to hang around for two months after everyone was sick of it :P

If I could have, I would have traded you in an instant, moo! We hardly even got a cool season this year. It sucks... I always look forward to the cool season. :( Given are our winter is usually mild as it is, it's just a nice time of the year when the air is cool, crisp and refreshing instead of stinking hot and muggy. Winter hung around a little last year though... it was great! It delayed the arrival of the fruit fly and for a month or two there, I didn't have to bag. :D

Thanks.  Can't complain about the weather anymore because its getting real sunny and nice out there now. 

This week I've rejigged the shade cover along the fence from last year to give more coverage and room to grow.  Also just put some chillies into the ground.  Got lots in small pots ready to go in ground but have no places yet.  I'll put some pictures up tomorrow.

So faced with this problem of having too many mature plants and nowhere to put them what did I go and do?....  Yep I just sowed a whole lot more seeds.

The first round were all chinenses and these are everything else.

Aji Amarillo
Aji Angelo
Aji Chuncho
Aji Cristal
Aji de Jardin
Aji Golden
Aji Pineapple
Amish Bush
Anaheim
Baccio De Satana
Bali Long
BGH 460, Pi 441654
Big Jim
Black Cobra
Blondie
Brazillian Pumpkin
Brazillian Starfish
Brigits Locato
Bulgarian Carrot
Cayenne Red
CGN 21469
Chilaca Pasilla
Colombian Orange
Corno Di Torro Rossi
De Arbol
Earbob
Goatsweed
Jalapeno Giant
Jimmy Nardello
Kashmiri Mirch
Large Orange Thai
Manzano Amarillo
Maui Purple
Maule's Red Hot
Most Prolific
Paradeisfrüchtiger
Pimento de Padron
Piquillo
Piri Piri
Pitanga
Purira
Rocoto Manzano Orange
Rocoto Peru Bitumi
Rocoto Turbo Pube
Royal Black
Tabasco CGN21546 PI 586675
Takanotsume
Wild Tepin

I've got some garden bed making to do !

gasificada said:
I thought you weren't going all out this year, moo? :lol:
Me too :P  Still got half a freezer full of chillies.

Spicy_Kinda_Guy_1990 said:
First post woot woot :) great diary so far mind if i keep a eye on this one ??

ATB Jay
:welcome:  and thanks :) 

Please do follow along that's what its for :)

Took some pics of the set up so far.  Still got to make more garden bed area to plant into but some are in.

If you saw and remember my last glog then you might notice the changes I've made to the main fence area. 
I've learned from past mistakes and spaced the chillies out further so it doesn't become an impenetrable tangled mass.
gallery_3629_119_40591.jpg

I've also moved the front star pickets from the lower grass to upper bed and put them out at an angle.  The point of this is to raise the shadecloth ceiling.  It looks like a long way but last season the plants were pushed up against it. 
Also the shadecloth now juts out so the whole red brick wall will be shaded until Autumn.  When the sun angle dips in winter, the light will cut under the cloth and help the plants overwinter.  That's the plan anyway. 
Our climate is warm enough to allow plants to overwinter with little to no attention. 
Sorry bad photo but you get the picture.
gallery_3629_119_250929.jpg

This Primo Orange is in the ground and looking happy.
gallery_3629_119_101874.jpg

These plants in pots survived all winter on a brick ledge wall with absolutely no attention at all.  I started watering and feeding them about 3 weeks ago and now everything is sprouting again.  One was nothing but a stick with no green growth at all.
gallery_3629_119_606416.jpg

7 pot brainstrain that overwintered itself with ease.  I cut it back 2 weeks ago and now its as big as it ever got last season with a late start.  Got flowers and buds too :)
gallery_3629_119_412103.jpg

Everything in here could go into the ground right now, but I don't have enough garden bed yet.  Its been a hot day so some look a bit wilted.
gallery_3629_119_673898.jpg

I'm going to cram as many as I can into this new bed.  Because its out from the fence and exposed on both sides I'll to try to make a tangled jungle atmosphere.
gallery_3629_119_78500.jpg

You've been a busy guy Moo! I'm definitely looking forward to checking out your current growing season while you make use of the lessons learned in the last one. Overwinters look fantastic, and you've got an ambitious grow list going... good on ya, and good luck with your season!

Did you just buy like 10 of those mini greenhouses and make them into one?? :lol: It looks like you could just poke it and the whole thing would collapse!

Wow, I thought I got busy out in the yard today but you truly put me to shame, moo.

stickman said:
You've been a busy guy Moo! I'm definitely looking forward to checking out your current growing season while you make use of the lessons learned in the last one. Overwinters look fantastic, and you've got an ambitious grow list going... good on ya, and good luck with your season
Thanks.  I hope I can get something like the results of last season.

gasificada said:
Did you just buy like 10 of those mini greenhouses and make them into one?? :lol: It looks like you could just poke it and the whole thing would collapse!

Wow, I thought I got busy out in the yard today but you truly put me to shame, moo.
It is the large model.  The crappy cover ripped and came off at the first slight breeze but the frame is actually quite sturdy.  I've had a smaller one before that kept falling apart but this one is better, the poles are really jammed hard into the joints and there's no chance of them coming out.  Have to put weight on it cos its light but is working well as a shade house. 

There's two Saturdays of hard work there.  Sunday is put the feet up day. 

The hardest part was ripping out all the f@#%^! grass.  Its incredible how strong its roots are.  Will probably creep back in by midsummer.  I need to get some sort of ground cover for the off season to deter it.  Not sure what to do there.

Love the planters! New one will be way cool once completly filled. Super hedge of peppers!
Looks like this season is coming together. That's a good list of additions too! The brainstrain is looking nice!

GA Growhead said:
Love the planters! New one will be way cool once completly filled. Super hedge of peppers!
Looks like this season is coming together. That's a good list of additions too! The brainstrain is looking nice!
Thanks :)    The new bed is now filled and you can see the pictures below.  Going from your insightful comment I've decided to try and craft a Chilli Hedge!

First I will repost this picture of the spaced out chillies from the 10th and then today just 3 days later.
gallery_3629_119_250929.jpg

gallery_3629_119_92281.jpg

Slightly different angle and light and whatnot, but I swear they've grown with nice big fatter leaves! 

Here is the Chilli Hedge Day 1
gallery_3629_119_30052.jpg

I had so many varieties and not enough room the only option was to squash them up.  So in the same amount of space about 10 plants take in the other bed, I've crammed 38 plants.  They are in full sun all day though so they won't grow the big fat leaves the ones under shadecloth will.  I'm hoping they'll help shade each other and keep the atmosphere nice for pods.  I'll be able to access both sides of the hedge so there won't be plants lost at the back like last season.

gallery_3629_119_233281.jpg

gallery_3629_119_379956.jpg

After planting the best one of every variety these are the multiples left over.  Most of them are perfectly fine and missed the cut by chance.  Not sure what to do with them.  I'm thinking xmas gifts for relatives :P  There is still room behind the shed, but I've also got about 50 varieties of non-chinenses about to pop.

gallery_3629_119_535923.jpg

Very cool Moo! Have you thought of selling the extras to recoup some of what you spent on starting the seedlings? If you ask around, you might find  some "truck gardeners" who'd be willing to buy, or sell them on spec at a farmer's market.

You been waiting for this day to arrive mega ;) Looks like you planned it out well this season with the things you learned last season (your first grow on that lot). I like the hedge and being to access the plants from both sides so that you're not bush whacking around like last season :D.

+1 With no wall the peppers can stretch out on both sides. Looking forward to see it fill up.
Extra plants! a couple aye?
Hope they find a home or get planted somewhere.

[SIZE=medium]Moo, da [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]Plants look great and love how you showed your last season’s pods from da freezer[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]Great to read that you share your key learning's from last season on shade cloth, plant spacing and mas … invaluable information for da noob’s and pros alike[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]Very cool how you converted da GH into a shade house, I really like da look of it. I sure could use one like that for our summers …[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]New bed looks great[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Keep up dat awesome grow and Hab great weekend brethren ^_^[/SIZE]

Back