• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

More Leaf Curl

Hi All,
Just found this forum and so this is my first post. Please help me work out what is going on here in these photos and what to do about it.

This leaf curl appeared a couple of weeks ago. Here is the first plant...
DSC_6960.jpg

and here is the second plant...
DSC_6959.jpg

any help is muchly appreciated!!!
Thanks

what my personal experience it is either calcium def. or a mite issue. i had broad mites and i ended up hacking back the effected plants as if i were over wintering them but here in Socal there is no need to. i am sure others will chime in to help but that is my 2 cents from my personal experiences. good luck

Eric

what my personal experience it is either calcium def. or a mite issue. i had broad mites and i ended up hacking back the effected plants as if i were over wintering them but here in Socal there is no need to. i am sure others will chime in to help but that is my 2 cents from my personal experiences. good luck

Eric

I'm in Sydney, Australia. Do we get broad mites?
I'm also using a chilli specific fertiliser "Chilli Focus" that should take care of the calcium should it not?

Cheers

Those little white flecks look like they could be whiteflys ... I have an infestation of them destroying my 6 plants I have at the moment. I would look into if that is what they are if I were you. Where I only see what might be a couple of them in your pictures they can get bad ... like thousands of them on the plant bad ... that is what I am dealing with.

It's quite possible it may be pest related but it doesn't look like broad mite damage to me. The nasty little buggers cause more of a distinct "clawing" of the leaves:

IMG_3761.jpg

IMG_5810.jpg

Those little white flecks look like they could be whiteflys ... I have an infestation of them destroying my 6 plants I have at the moment. I would look into if that is what they are if I were you. Where I only see what might be a couple of them in your pictures they can get bad ... like thousands of them on the plant bad ... that is what I am dealing with.

Thanks everyone,
All info is GOOD!!!
I do remember seeing some little white moth looking things, but they flew away and I didn't really think about them again until I went to Google images and looked up whitefly. That's what I've had. I'm 99% sure now.
So what's the best plan of attack? So far I've tried garlic and pepper spray. Pyrethrum. Next is soap.
Should I break off the sick looking leaves?
Cheers
:dance:

Thanks everyone,
All info is GOOD!!!
I do remember seeing some little white moth looking things, but they flew away and I didn't really think about them again until I went to Google images and looked up whitefly. That's what I've had. I'm 99% sure now.
So what's the best plan of attack? So far I've tried garlic and pepper spray. Pyrethrum. Next is soap.
Should I break off the sick looking leaves?
Cheers
:dance:

I just started this thread a week ago, http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/26172-got-aphids-other-pests-or-fungal-diseases/

This stuff is the shit. Whiteflies are included in the pests that it can kill. I had a huge aphid problem. The first time I sprayed, was the last time I saw em. Btw, even if whiteflies aren't your problem, that spray will knock out whatever the hell it is, including mites. Soap has worked for me as well, not as good as the spray in the link but, it works. If you do, use regular dish soap, add a very small ammount to a spray bottle, shake it all up, spray everything. I strongly recommend the all in one spray in the link above

I don't think breaking off the leaves is necessary but if you want to, make sure you put them somewhere very very far away from any of your plants. Whatever the pest is, it is still on the leaves your breaking off.

keep us posted!

If it is whitefly, perhaps try sticky traps or something in combination with a spray? Soap, sulfur, eco oils, etc, will work on whitefly larvae but unless you are using a systemic poison, personally I have found it hard to control the actual whiteflies themselves using such spray solutions. The little buggers are just too quick and jump ship before you get a chance to hit 'em with the spray.

I just started this thread a week ago, http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/26172-got-aphids-other-pests-or-fungal-diseases/

This stuff is the shit. Whiteflies are included in the pests that it can kill. I had a huge aphid problem. The first time I sprayed, was the last time I saw em. Btw, even if whiteflies aren't your problem, that spray will knock out whatever the hell it is, including mites. Soap has worked for me as well, not as good as the spray in the link but, it works. If you do, use regular dish soap, add a very small ammount to a spray bottle, shake it all up, spray everything. I strongly recommend the all in one spray in the link above

I don't think breaking off the leaves is necessary but if you want to, make sure you put them somewhere very very far away from any of your plants. Whatever the pest is, it is still on the leaves your breaking off.

keep us posted!

Yeah I have a bottle on its way. I hope it works as good for me as it did for you. I have been losing my battle against the whiteflys and now this morning I wake up and aphids ... by the hundreds ...

Yeah I have a bottle on its way. I hope it works as good for me as it did for you. I have been losing my battle against the whiteflys and now this morning I wake up and aphids ... by the hundreds ...

It will my friend, trust me. I want to hear of your success when you've won the battle. Sounds really silly, but if its as bad as your saying, the day you get the bottle, get it all prepped n ready in a spray bottle.. Bust out your vacuum hose suck up all the out in the open guys, it'll dislodge and freak all the others out, soften there defenses if you will :lol: when everything's chaos in the aphid/white fly world, move in for the kill shots :cool: spray EVERYTHING.

Only reason I suggest the silly vacuum idea, if your infestation is that bad you may need to spray 2-4 different times.. If you suck up a good amount like I did, chances are you'll get em all round 1.

Good luck! keep us posted

Hahaha I will definitly let you know of the results. It is really that bad. I counted over 40 aphids on one leaf ... amongst tons of leaves that looked to have just as many.

I am thinking they got this bad after I brought everything inside and cut them off from their predators. I should have known I had them though ... when they were outdoors ant mounds would literally follow my plants where ever I placed them.

I have pruned a bunch of the leaves and stems out that were the most infested and threw them out, but many many many more still there feeding. My bottle should be here Tuesday.

.:edit:. I will take some before and afters for ya.

Back