• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Moruga Welders 2017 Grow

https://youtu.be/yKjs4qoSZ0c

Welcome my Friends ! I didn't think i'd be planting this year , due to extensive shoulder surgery in Nov. , 
but Thanks to my P.T. & T.H.P. friends support  , I'm feeling it ! 
So sit back & Hope you enjoy the ride , 
Best of Luck to all !  And so it begins , 
HPIM2918.JPG

mpicante said:
Hopefully you're back in tip top shape soon Frank and your plants look really good.
Thanks Florissa , I'm trying doing my part , just getting the ol' body to follow suit is another thing , lol  Plants are right on par , Only tossed 1 , which i had about 10 of , it wasn't to standard so out it went , no point on wasting any time with it , been down that road before .

Very nice, Frank!  Can't wait to see them in natural light full o' pods   :drooling:

Are there root tips showing at the holes in the bottom of your cups?  
That's usually my signal to go to the 2-liter pots.

Your starts are growing right along, my friend   :cheers:

PaulG said:
Very nice, Frank!  Can't wait to see them in natural light full o' pods   :drooling:

Are there root tips showing at the holes in the bottom of your cups?  
That's usually my signal to go to the 2-liter pots.

Your starts are growing right along, my friend   :cheers:
Thanks Paul , you know i'm not sure , but was thinking about that earlier , i didn't burn slots , i just did straight hole . usually do the slots ,i can see in better . Think i'll take me little scissors trim some up and take a peek . If their there , i'll start putting them into their next shoes , then one last bump !     :party:

Sounds like a right on plan, my friend!

You know, I find a box cutter works great for cutting
small sections off the bottom edge of the cups.  The
4 holes on the edges make the bottom flexible, which
makes the rootball muy fácil to push out when potting
on.

I used some different cups for my rack. Some are off white(opaque) some are clear coca cola cups and a few clear yellow ones. I have a few solid red ones too.

So what is root to shoot ratio? What should I be looking for?

Blitz527 said:
I used some different cups for my rack. Some are off white(opaque) some are clear coca cola cups and a few clear yellow ones. I have a few solid red ones too.

So what is root to shoot ratio? What should I be looking for?
this will break it down for you ,
INTRODUCTION

[SIZE=10pt]It is a standard assumption in plant ecology that plants respond to their environment in such a way as to optimize their resource use (e.g. Bloom [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]et al[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]., 1985). One expression of such an optimization is the allocation between shoots and roots in response to nutrient availability. In general, when nutrient availability increases, plants allocate relatively less to their roots, which is consistent with a resource optimiza- tion hypothesis as increasing nutrient availability means that less effort is required to acquire this resource. Exceptions to this rule, when K, Mg or Mn are limiting (Ericsson, 1995), can be recast into the resource optimization hypothesis. De®ciencies of these elements lead also to a shortage of carbohydrates, which signi®es to the plant that the allocation to light acquisition is sub-optimal. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Several models have been developed to explain the mechanisms behind the root : shoot allocation (see reviews by Wilson, 1988; A[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Ê[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]gren and WikstroÈm, 1993; Cannell and Dewar, 1994). All models are based on a carbon balance, but some additional constraints are required. Two general routes can then be followed. First, some plant property is optimized, which, in practise, always turns out to be the relative growth rate (Johnson and Thornley, 1987; Hilbert, 1990; Thornley, 1995). Secondly, a sink strength depending either on nitrogen concentration (A[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Ê [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]gren and Ingestad, 1987; Ingestad and A[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Ê[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]gren, 1991) or on carbon and nitrogen substrate concentrations (Thornley, 1972, 1995, 1998) is added. The problem with the latter group of models is that they require phenomenological formulation of plant proper- ties (nitrogen productivity, substrate utilization rates or transport rates) and, therefore, only show consistency [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]between plant properties without explaining them in terms of some underlying principle. Formulations derived by maximizing the relative growth rate give, in general, qualitatively satisfactory results but quantitative tests seem to be lacking. One reason for this is the problem of independently estimating all the necessary parameters required for testing the predictions; in particular the relationship between net assimilation rate and plant nitrogen concentration has to be speci®ed. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]In this paper, a relationship between the shoot fraction ([/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]f[/SIZE][SIZE=7pt]S[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]) and plant nitrogen concentration ([/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]c[/SIZE][SIZE=7pt]N[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]) will be derived by maximizing the relative growth rate. The problem of the arbitrariness in the relationship between assimilation rate and plant nitrogen concentration will be avoided. Instead the strong empirical, linear relationship between relative growth rate and plant nitrogen concentration (A[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Ê [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]gren and WikstroÈm, 1993) will be used to derive the assimilation rate as a function of plant nitrogen concentration. The ®nal relationship, [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]f[/SIZE][SIZE=7pt]S[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]([/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]c[/SIZE][SIZE=7pt]N[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]), will then have only one or two free parameters that will be adjusted when comparing predictions with experimental results. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]MATERIALS AND METHODS [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]For simplicity, a plant consisting of only a shoot biomass and a root biomass will be considered. The total dry mass of the plant is [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]W[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt], its nitrogen content [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]N[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt], the shoot fraction [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]f[/SIZE][SIZE=7pt]S[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt], the carbon assimilation rate per unit shoot mass [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]A[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt], and the uptake rate of nitrogen per unit root mass [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]U[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]. Due to the constancy of carbon concentration in plant biomass, dry weight increase equals carbon assimilation [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Q [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]a constant factor included in [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]A[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]. It is further assumed that respiratory losses are proportional to plant nitrogen content (Ryan [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]et al[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]., [/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]* For correspondence. E-mail Goran.Agren@eom.slu.se[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Annals of Botany 92/6, [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]ã [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Annals of Botany Company 2003; all rights reserved [/SIZE]

Frank,

I must say that read hurt my head. I, like you did in the pic you showed, simply have a peak at the "bottom end" ;)

So how's the shoulder? I'm hoping you're ready to get back to the things you love to do.

On a not so fun note; my son Timothy is having shoulder surgery March 9th, he's 2 months shy of 35. They're going to cut his bicep tendon to make the repairs. He's ready to get it done as it's trashed. I, being me, told him he better start practicing to wipe with the other hand :D So now I'll be pulling for two who have had shoulder work done.

Devv said:
Frank,

I must say that read hurt my head. I, like you did in the pic you showed, simply have a peak at the "bottom end" ;)

So how's the shoulder? I'm hoping you're ready to get back to the things you love to do.

On a not so fun note; my son Timothy is having shoulder surgery March 9th, he's 2 months shy of 35. They're going to cut his bicep tendon to make the repairs. He's ready to get it done as it's trashed. I, being me, told him he better start practicing to wipe with the other hand :D So now I'll be pulling for two who have had shoulder work done.
lol ! Thanks Scott , shoulder is doing much better , thank you for asking .  What a difference 4 months makes , still kind of scared to push myself up with it alone . but will test it soon .    :lol:   Oh man i feel for the boy , my cousin had the bicep one done 8 months ago , she's back at work but little iffy , 7 months of therapy ! Theres a few in therapy who had the bicep surgery , unreal how many people in there with shoulder tears and outside of there just in the stores . i seen 2 people the other day in Wal-mart with the big ol" slings with pillows on them , yep , couldn't help but ask ,
         I hear ya on the head hurt !  I get a brain freeze trying to explain it , took me years back in the day to figure it out !      ;)

sure enough shoulder tears , fresh from surgery , Yah wiping with the opposite hand ! lol , ya hit that right .  
 The plants are growing some nice roots . I been peeking through the bottoms like that for awhile , never hurts them , their tough ! Give the boy my best , he's got a good coach  :D

Glad to hear you're doing well. I'm sure a lot of hard work and pain went into getting you back to where you are now. But that's what it takes. I spent 6 weeks off once for back, 8 weeks second time for back, and 16 weeks for groin; so I know the rehab routine ;)  I'm hoping Tim doesn't have a 7 month rehab, he seems to think 2 months. I say 4 at minimum.  I hope he's got some $$$ saved, as this is all on him. And I can't afford to pay for two households. I think after this he will take my save for rainy days lectures a bit more seriously.

Devv said:
Glad to hear you're doing well. I'm sure a lot of hard work and pain went into getting you back to where you are now. But that's what it takes. I spent 6 weeks off once for back, 8 weeks second time for back, and 16 weeks for groin; so I know the rehab routine ;)  I'm hoping Tim doesn't have a 7 month rehab, he seems to think 2 months. I say 4 at minimum.  I hope he's got some $$$ saved, as this is all on him. And I can't afford to pay for two households. I think after this he will take my save for rainy days lectures a bit more seriously.
Thanks Scott , yes getting much better , been rough last 4 days for mama tho , Her cousin died in her sleep , 35 yrs. old.  8 yr.old doughtier 4 yr. old son , Brandon , her husband went to wake her up . and well nothing . wifes all busted up ( as their whole family is ) she was close to her . The wake / funeral was last night . 
   My good old vietnam vet friend is in ice with cancer , lungs collapsed  , had a stroke ( in recovery ) after having a port put in for chemo treatments ,  so been a rough last week here.  Yes I preach to my children the same thing , live for today but save for tomorrow ! .  Their learning . 2 months is cutting it . Guess it depends on the extent of the damage .  I her ya about 2 households , i'm looking for a 2nd. place down in tennessee . vacation home then move when i retire . Kids can handle themselves thats why i paid for their schooling ! 

moruga welder said:
Thanks Scott , yes getting much better , been rough last 4 days for mama tho , Her cousin died in her sleep , 35 yrs. old.  8 yr.old doughtier 4 yr. old son , Brandon , her husband went to wake her up . and well nothing . wifes all busted up ( as their whole family is ) she was close to her . The wake / funeral was last night . 
   My good old vietnam vet friend is in ice with cancer , lungs collapsed  , had a stroke ( in recovery ) after having a port put in for chemo treatments ,  so been a rough last week here.  Yes I preach to my children the same thing , live for today but save for tomorrow ! .  Their learning . 2 months is cutting it . Guess it depends on the extent of the damage .  I her ya about 2 households , i'm looking for a 2nd. place down in tennessee . vacation home then move when i retire . Kids can handle themselves thats why i paid for their schooling ! 

Sorry to hear about the rough patch you're going through guys. :(  I've been working as a Home Health Aide for 27 years, so I see stuff like that every day and I can sympathize.

moruga welder said:
i'll bump them up to 1 gal. in 3 to 4 weeks , then by plant out they'll be 20" to 24 " tall . Ready to rock n roll !      :party:
    Us midwesterners don't have time to mess around Frank.The first week of October comes quickly in our peppers life cycle.I am moving some plants from 4 to 6-inch pots this weekend, preparing for my early May plant out

Back