• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Mould after 3 months

I hope this is the correct forum.

With a sauce made by Heinz or Tabasco you would normally expect it to keep for months, even if non refrigerated . I have a bottle of sauce made by a small, though non-hobby producer that has gone moldy after 3 months stored on a shelf.

I would like to know if this is a normal occurance with foods without any additives, or is it down to bad bottling/production?

IMG_5816.jpg

A sauce without any preservatives or additives will do that if not refrigerated, I'm suprised it took 3 months really. I would have imagined it would mold before that if not stored in the fridge.. I'm no professional but I do know that preservative-free sauces at my work will do that in a month or 2s time.

Brandon

That's interesting. I don't store my sauces in the fridge, as I find the flavors are much more apparent at room temperature, and I have many all natural sauces, with no preservatives. My Heartbreaking Dawn's sauces come to mind.

Depends on how much vinegar/citrus/etc. is in the sauce. Not much will grow if there's a lot of acid. If something acidic isn't one of the top 3 ingredients, I'd keep it in the fridge.

I have "refrigerate after opening" on LDHS, but I've had bottles out for ~6 months after opening before they turned - and even then they didn't mold. Just turned kinda gray. That was a deliberate test though & I would not recommend it simply as I don't know the environment of your house.

I have had bottles open in the fridge last longer than that.

I agree that Hot sauces taste better at room temperature though - which is why I generally leave them out for a while prior to dinner. It gets in the 90s-100s here though so I keep all my sauces in the fridge.

And no, I would not eat that sauce pictured above - it's what, $3-$5 worth of sauce? You would pay more than that & gladly to not experience food poisoning.

Good luck.

No, I certainly wont be eating it! I was just interested to know if it was normal, or maybe down to the bottles or lids not being properly sterilized when it was produced

Out of curiosity, what sauce was it? Would you mind posting the ingredients in the order they appear on the label?

Out of curiosity, what sauce was it? Would you mind posting the ingredients in the order they appear on the label?

I think this might be an unfair disservice to whatever brand this is to name it, though listing ingredients is probably ok.

But we don't know what conditions the sauce was kept in, whether the lid was left off or screwed on cross-threaded, kept in the sun, etc.

I think it's better to not name it as that could unfairly hurt someone's rep. My $.02

Ingredients would be interesting though as we can speculate pH from that. :cheers:

I think this might be an unfair disservice to whatever brand this is to name it, though listing ingredients is probably ok.

But we don't know what conditions the sauce was kept in, whether the lid was left off or screwed on cross-threaded, kept in the sun, etc.

I think it's better to not name it as that could unfairly hurt someone's rep. My $.02

Ingredients would be interesting though as we can speculate pH from that. :cheers:

That sounds logical. Very good point.

Web forums have a funny way of turning into lynch mobs sometimes is all.

I know if someone bought some LDHS, left it in the sun for a week in Dallas, then posted a "my LDHS turned in a week!" topic I'd be pretty peeved.

:cheers:

Back