• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Mould on Soil Surface?

Hi folks,

I've noticed that some mould has started to develop on the outer rim of the soil surface in my chilli pots. There's no mould on the plants at all, so is this just down to too much water?

Thanks!

I think moisture is what brings in the mold. Are you bottom watering or have a fan blowing on them?

,Vegas

*I typed to fast. I didn't realize mould and mold.* :D

I just pour some water onto the top of the soil once a week. The only cause I can think of is the compost and its 'amazing water retention' qualities...

Haha yeah, I mean fungus mould. It's growing around the outer areas of my top soil and I wonder if it's because I'm over-watering the plants.

You're getting it because the moisture isn't dissipating fast enough. Put a small fan on the plants, get the air around them moving and it should dry up and go away. If you can try to find a way to water the plants from the bottom too.

Small fan helps a bunch, also just wipe it off if it's not appealing to you, or turn it into the soil. It probably wont harm your plants, a fan will help strengthen your plants and give small bugs a harder time to stick around like the fungus gnats I was battling. You may not be over watering as much as inadequate drainage/ventilation. I found bottom watering to be the best as Patrick suggested to me before, it kept the surface of the soil neat instead of pouring it on from the top.

Back