• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Mould

Ive got mould growing in one of my seedling trays.

Its on the surface - but they haven't germinated yet.

Any tips on cleaning this out with out risking the seeds?

I sometimes get a bit of green mould forming on the tops of my jiffy pellets after germinating, I think it occurs after I start using diluted Seasol. try to keep the area aired. I can't say I've suffered any adverse effects.

use 1 tablespoon peroxide (3%) per gallon of water and it will eliminate the mold...

are you using the trays with the clear plastic tops?

What AJ said should work fine. I used to grow African Violets and they would get mold/mildew on leaves and flowers. I'd spray them with Lysol , the kind you mix , not the canned stuff. And it would wipe the stuff out.

P. Dreadie

now I know I may catch some flack from what I am about to post but for me, I found that even though the dome keeps the moisture and heat in, it also creates a perfect environment for mold and fungus...I found that out first hand last year...I will NOT use the plastic domes any more...

AlabamaJack said:
now I know I may catch some flack from what I am about to post but for me, I found that even though the dome keeps the moisture and heat in, it also creates a perfect environment for mold and fungus...I found that out first hand last year...I will NOT use the plastic domes any more...

AJ I found the plastic domes worked well last year. I did not leave it closed all the time though. I closed it for the first 2 days. Then what I did was prop it open during the day. I used one of those tiny black paper clips with the 2 movable wings (not sure what they are called). I clipped it to the tray and stuck one of the small arms up in the air to prop one side of the dome up 1/2 of an inch or whatever. Then at night I would close the lid to keep the heat in. Never had a problem with mold. We will see how it goes this year.

like I said, there would be different opinions...but because I have my germinator that keeps the temperature constant 86F (30C) and it is a "closed" environment, I don't need the domes anymore...

another tip I forgot is to sprinkle corn meal on the top of the soil, the corn gluten in the meal will kill the mold, fungus...

AJ never heard of using corn meal. I do know those domes build up a lot of moisture inside them. I always vent them for 20 or 30 minutes once a day and wipe off the beads of moisture that builds up on the top.

P. Dreadie

AlabamaJack said:
I have my germinator that keeps the temperature constant 86F (30C) and it is a "closed" environment, I don't need the domes anymore...

That's cool what is the set up like I think I saw it from a distance in a photo of your grow room but don't remember it exactly.

Im using egg cartons (recycled cardboard pulp) no covers and the mould only turned up when I started watering the seeds each day.

They get very dry very quickly in the airing cupboard.

Ill try the dilute bleach idea. Thanks!

A light spray of an off the shelf mould killer did the trick.

The really neat thing is that within 6 hours of doing that I had no mould and 5 seedlings bursting up.

I can haz 7 Pots! :)

Back