• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

mrgg*s PURPLE playground

Starting a purple thread. While there will be pictures of normal green plants, the main focus will be the color PURPLE  :eek:

Got a few varieties of things that came in, but only germinating a few for fun since it's so late into the season already. If anything, my plan is to toss a few pics up here and there at my leisure. 

Enjoy!

Here are most of the things I started. This is mostly just a preview for next year when I run more seed to select through. I know not all of these are purple varieties; a few I just wanted to try sooner than later like the Brazilian Starfish and the Fish Pepper. 
IMG_4056_zpsqetibf4d.jpg

Some of the first purple to show...
IMG_4127_zpsximsmjjb.jpg

IMG_4126_zpscjkhsbnt.jpg

And some Fooled You Jalapenos. They have zero heat, but should be full flavor. I wanted one or two plants so I could just slice in half, hit with oil, salt, and garlic, and grill. And this way I can literally eat pounds of it should I have the desire (and means) to do so.

I plan to give a bunch of plants away to coworkers. I usually germinate many more than I need to make sure I get what I need, pick the best and then give the rest... away.
IMG_4123_zpsnumv96j7.jpg

Here is a list of seeds I already have, which are some sort of purple or blackish varieties. Not all plants are all purple but purple phenos can be found. I am considering anything with purple in the leaves, stems, or pods (again, only a few of them are being germinated this season):

Yaki Brown
Purple Flash
Black Pearl
Purple Jalapeno
Pink Tiger
Purple Tiger
THSC Black Scorpion Tongue
Royal Black
Pimenta Elisir x Neyde
Redgum TigerMAMP
Peachgum TigerMAMP

Gonna go all in and pheno hunt the most purple from these two. The rest will likely go as charity to friends.

Thanks for the suggestion @D3monic
IMG_4206_zpsabwuxres.jpg

Thanks for your generosity @Bhuter
IMG_4207_zpsany67hhy.jpg

My germination area
IMG_4209_zps2pjukd0p.jpg

This thing is a lifesaver for getting good, steady, and fast germination (set at 80 or 81, so it should be turning on soon)
IMG_4211_zpsmcjxp2e4.jpg

First Pink Tiger to stand up, only attempted germinating 2 so far though.
IMG_4221_zpsb4ieq0ct.jpg

Had to do some helmet head surgery on more than a couple plants. The purple jalapenos and yakis seem to be the most needy here.

While they all look good, the THSC Black Scorpion Tongue peppers look especially amazing in the photos, with the black streaks on red. Plant-wise, Purple Flash is the most stunning.
Personally, I'm growing some Gusto Purples, just because they were cheap, differently coloured and right next to the purple tomato plants at my local market. Starting to wish I had some more interesting purple chillies though.

spicefreak said:
While they all look good, the THSC Black Scorpion Tongue peppers look especially amazing in the photos, with the black streaks on red. Plant-wise, Purple Flash is the most stunning.
Personally, I'm growing some Gusto Purples, just because they were cheap, differently coloured and right next to the purple tomato plants at my local market. Starting to wish I had some more interesting purple chillies though.

Speaking of which, I noticed that my local nurseries and stores are starting to carry some special types of hot peppers lately. The OSH next to me has Scotch Bonnets and Caribbean Reds. Another full-on nursery near me has Trinidad Moruga Scorpions and tons of Bhuts to choose from. Interesting days when only 5 years ago, the only hot peppers you could find were jalapeno, serrano, cayenne, and sometimes the occasional habanero!

I can't say I've ever seen Serrano plants or seeds for sale. Used to be Cayenne everywhere and maybe the other two if you were lucky.

When I saw the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion, I had to think to myself that someone has to buy this (w/o doing research) at some point, grow it out, eat one, and think "what the f**k are they trying to do to me?!"

I have a TMS plant that puts out insanity for heat. Somewhat on par with the Carolina Reaper I grew next to it - just the TMS had far better flavor IMO.

The only time I have ever heard of peppers truly hurting people (outside of just chemically feeling heat) has been when someone eats a hot pepper that is far hotter than they anticipated and actually fainted from the pain. I didn't see any special warnings or anything on the tags, lol.

Honestly, I love it (the options, that is)!

Now, if they only had some purple varieties!

Ever wonder??

Why are plants green?

"[SIZE=11pt]Green light is higher energy than red light, but less abundant [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]in our atmosphere. Blue light is much higher energy, so it [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]can power a lot of photosynthesis even if it isn’t that abundant. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Therefore, is it surprising that our plants appear green, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]chorophylls absorb and use red light because it is abundant, and [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]blue light because it is high energy. Green isn’t worth bothering [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]with and is reflected."  - source [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt].[/SIZE]

I plan to take some pics of the different phenos during seedling stage at some point once I get home from work today...

Until then, I brought Capt. Jack into work along with some variegated indoor plant that I liked and cloned.
IMG_20160602_122319_786_zpszpwuqhjb.jpg

Capt. Jack
IMG_20160602_123358_018_zpstlnix3me.jpg

I know it's just the very beginning, but who doesn't like pics?!

Comparing some phenos by color, early on...

THSC Black Scorpion Tongue 

This is the only one of two that grew correctly. The second one had a fatal helmet accident. There is some purple speckle here. Sorry for focus issues on some pics
thsc_zps31iveloc.jpg

And now the Yakis... Yaki Brown

This one is my favorite. It has a purple ring around the edge of the cotyls
yaki%201_zpsispim1ns.jpg

This one had a helmet issue, but pulled through. It is totally green so far.
yaki%202_zpsoviezp7f.jpg

Totally green also (minor helmet issue here)
yaki%203_zpsqd7jfkmg.jpg

Purple Jalapenos:

I was really surprised to see any purple at all in these, but it's pretty clear they are not straight green. They all have a purple speckle.
pj1_zps8jdhjtmw.jpg

pj2_zps8n0pjmca.jpg

pj3_zpsoiaa70ey.jpg

Pink Tiger

This is the only Pink Tiger of two to germ so far. The other is still on the heating pad
It has a purple ring around the edge
pt_zpsr4ifv1bq.jpg

Purple Flash

Only two Purple Flashes to have popped successfully, so far. Some still under ground and at least one didn't make it.

The one at the office
pf1_zpsufbqxj3r.jpg

And my choice one that I will grow at home. Slow grower, but the darkest cotyledons of the ones that have come out of the ground so far
pf2_zpsajzuaslb.jpg

Well, I think I hit my pic limit. To be cont... 

sirex said:

Wow, it didn't take long at all for those bells to take on their full purple color!

Is that first one (1st two pics) the Leopard? I love where it's going. The stem and leaves seem to be getting darker, of course those pods look GREAT! Almost a maroon-purple. I also like that Leopard a lot because the calyx are purple too. Do you know if they will ripen red? Not that I'm expecting too much, the only plant I know that stays black when ripe is the Pimenta de Neyde (which I just received a pack of - for next year. They also sent me some Blue Christmas Tree seeds as freebies).

Great job on those plants btw, the leaves look super healthy and bug free for being outdoors (they are outdoors, right?)  :)

Thanks!

By the way, once I get some pods to harvest seeds from, if anyone wants seeds of any one thing PM me. But wait till I get some seed stock going. Right now I just have breeder's pack seeds, which I want to germinate all of them and pick out the darkest phenos to harvest new seeds from (that's my game here).

mrgrowguy said:

Wow, it didn't take long at all for those bells to take on their full purple color!

Is that first one (1st two pics) the Leopard? I love where it's going. The stem and leaves seem to be getting darker, of course those pods look GREAT! Almost a maroon-purple. I also like that Leopard a lot because the calyx are purple too. Do you know if they will ripen red? Not that I'm expecting too much, the only plant I know that stays black when ripe is the Pimenta de Neyde (which I just received a pack of - for next year. They also sent me some Blue Christmas Tree seeds as freebies).

Great job on those plants btw, the leaves look super healthy and bug free for being outdoors (they are outdoors, right?)  :)

Thanks!
Yes that is the Leopard. Hopefully it will ripen with a tiger stripe of red. Here is the source of the seed.

o26camS.jpg

Yes. They are outdoors. I try to keep them healthy :) Thank you !!!!

Back