• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

mrgg*s PURPLE playground

Starting a purple thread. While there will be pictures of normal green plants, the main focus will be the color PURPLE  :eek:

Got a few varieties of things that came in, but only germinating a few for fun since it's so late into the season already. If anything, my plan is to toss a few pics up here and there at my leisure. 

Enjoy!

Here are most of the things I started. This is mostly just a preview for next year when I run more seed to select through. I know not all of these are purple varieties; a few I just wanted to try sooner than later like the Brazilian Starfish and the Fish Pepper. 
IMG_4056_zpsqetibf4d.jpg

Some of the first purple to show...
IMG_4127_zpsximsmjjb.jpg

IMG_4126_zpscjkhsbnt.jpg

And some Fooled You Jalapenos. They have zero heat, but should be full flavor. I wanted one or two plants so I could just slice in half, hit with oil, salt, and garlic, and grill. And this way I can literally eat pounds of it should I have the desire (and means) to do so.

I plan to give a bunch of plants away to coworkers. I usually germinate many more than I need to make sure I get what I need, pick the best and then give the rest... away.
IMG_4123_zpsnumv96j7.jpg

Here is a list of seeds I already have, which are some sort of purple or blackish varieties. Not all plants are all purple but purple phenos can be found. I am considering anything with purple in the leaves, stems, or pods (again, only a few of them are being germinated this season):

Yaki Brown
Purple Flash
Black Pearl
Purple Jalapeno
Pink Tiger
Purple Tiger
THSC Black Scorpion Tongue
Royal Black
Pimenta Elisir x Neyde
Redgum TigerMAMP
Peachgum TigerMAMP

Yaki Brown
29306550522_91954e04e3_b.jpg

Fidalga Roxa from the latter wave - The green bottom leaves are from growing indoors, the rest have darkened up VERY nicely since being put outside.
29306549422_25760920f4_b.jpg

Yaki Brown - from the top lookin down
29126784110_cd964d7d5c_b.jpg

The Purple Flash is hiding under the Yaki Brown, just to its right. The Purple Flash is an absurdly small bush.
29415074945_3bc6c12e30_b.jpg

Group shot
29415073385_e199117d23_b.jpg

And a round of UNRIPE pods, starting in the front - left to right

(far left) Purple Flash, Black Pearl, THSC Black Scorpion Tongue, Purple Jalapeno, and in the back - Yaki Brown
28790875484_11152b22f2_b.jpg

As for scale, the Purple Jalapeno is very small, only about 1.25 inches long. They get bigger, but I had to trim the branch this one was on anyways.

I bit into all of them, and keep in mind that they are all unripe and may not have developed all of their flavs yet.

The Purple Flash was the dullest of them all - very smooth, subtle flavor. Next to no heat, and generally easy to eat. Oh, it had a slightly floral flavor, and it seemed like it could be sweeter once ripe.

The Black Pearl was much more pungent, almost black-peppery. Lots more heat than the PF. Good pepper, but nothing spectacular with the flavor... Though still better than the Purple Flash in that dept.

The THSC Black Scorpion Tongue was much thinner walled and reminded me of a bhut in some ways. Flavor pungency is in between the PF and BP as mentioned above. It has a slightly bitter flavor, like a bitter hab/jalapeno mixed together flavor.

The Yaki Brown... LOL... When I took a bite of this, I took a bigger sample than the others since my mouth wasn't all that hot from the previous ones. Anyways, I took a good bite and the flavor was intense chinense, almost a mix between Carolina reaper and Trinidad Moruga Scorpion. From the flavor alone, I thought I was in deep trouble. And while the heat definitely came through, about the level of a standard Bhut, it really wasn't too bad. The flavor leaned more towards the Scorpion-type chinense peppers than the Reapers, imo.

I didn't even try the Purple Jalapeno... I described its flavor in a post or two back, and it doesn't please me too much when ripe, so I highly doubt one that is this premature will be worth even sampling. I will let some get a little closer to ripe before I taste it again, to be sure of my assessment.

For those interested, I just updated my IG (link in sig) account with three videos of all the plants next to each other. You can really see how the THSC Black Scorpion tongue has neon-greenish leaves with purple pods, and the Pink Tiger has a super dark purple stem. Anyways, check it out if you want, it would be too much trouble to try to capture and re-post it here.

IG link

I know this thread seems kinda dead, here are a few pictures to send it off with :)

Pink Tigers
30552815944_093ecf07e7_o.jpg

Brazilian Starfish, Trinidad Moruga Scorpion, Black Cobra, Yaki Brown, Naglah Brown, Pink Tiger
31230417832_7d97e18ac1_b.jpg

Best of luck!

Visit me on IG if you want, check sig

Brocoli said:
Some really nice plants there. The Pink Tiger is gnarly looking!

It's a beautiful plant, but a little bland on the flavor. Has a kind of Bhut/hab/Chinense flavor, but watered down. Still, it is a stunning plant with nice purple/green leaves, strong/dark-purple stems, and a really nice looking pod.

Very nice heat to it, slightly more than the average hab, but less than a really hot ghost.

Devv said:
Nice haul!

My favorite, BY FAR, is the Brazilian Starfish. Makes a great fried pepper, just throw some olive oil, kosher salt, pepper, and minced garlic and pan fry. mmmmmmmmm

I used that same recipe, but added red potatoes and bacon, and brought it to a potluck at work. Everyone loved it!

But, it's not a hot pepper, just a little more heat than a jalapeno.

mrgrowguy said:

It's a beautiful plant, but a little bland on the flavor. Has a kind of Bhut/hab/Chinense flavor, but watered down. Still, it is a stunning plant with nice purple/green leaves, strong/dark-purple stems, and a really nice looking pod.

Very nice heat to it, slightly more than the average hab, but less than a really hot ghost.

Sounds like it needs to be crossed with something tasty then!

Nice finish to your season - the bonchi peppers look great.

Back