• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Mrs. Renfro's Ghost Pepper Salsa Review

renfro-ghost-1.jpg

Here comes my first review on this forum of Mrs. Renfro's Ghost Pepper Salsa, out of Ft. Worth, Texas. I'm pretty new to hot peppers, so no doubt this will be a pretty hot salsa to me. I bought four jars off of their website, which was only $20 including shipping (here to MA), which isn't bad at all (that is, if it's any good).

And no, they aren't paying me to do this. If I think it sucks, I'll tell you.

Okay, here goes: Smells very tomato paste-ey. Oh, Man, the heat is immediate. Almost not enough time to "taste" it before the heat kicks in. But it fades away fairly quickly. It's got that vinegar tang. I have to say I'm not that thrilled with it. I bought medium heat salsas from her as well. Maybe they'll be better.

Anyone else tried this or any of the other salsas by Mrs. Renfro?

I was wondering about this salsa. Thing is, they cut it with green chiles and jalapenos. So, that's kinda cheating in my opinion. They should call it "Ghost Pepper & Friends" if they're going to do that. Hmmmm...."Ghost Pepper & Friends". Sounds like a 1970s band that would have a TV sitcom at the same time.

Hello Casspepper,

welcome to the forum.

We were on holiday in Oregon over Christmas and were in "Hot Food Wasteland". Seriously jonesing for something hot and happened to see that salsa in the grocery store.

We ate it and got a little capsaisin-fix, enough to tide us over until we got home. I remember the same flavors as you describe, tomato-y, not too heavy on the vinegar and a decent enough heat, but for serious chileheads, it wouldn't be too hot.

salsalady

Bringing back an old thread...

I just spotted Mrs. Renfroe's products in my local Giant Eagle store today and decided to purchase this jar. I had tried her habanero salsa a couple weeks back, and liked it. Good, but not my favorite.

I like this one a little better. Still not that "rock star" of salsas, but I will make this one a regular in my 'fridge!

What I do is I use it to cut other salsas with. Add a little of this and its enough to spice up regular Wal Mart salsa! lol

That's a good idea. I have used my own datil sauce to amp up the flavor of lesser salsas. The ghost chili salsa can ramp up the heat.

I just spotted Mrs. Renfroe's products in my local Giant Eagle store today and decided to purchase this jar. I had tried her habanero salsa a couple weeks back, and liked it. Good, but not my favorite.

I like this one a little better. Still not that "rock star" of salsas, but I will make this one a regular in my 'fridge!

I really liked the mango habanero salsa, but this one's just not doing it for me. I'm going to have to try mixing it in with something else to use up the jar...

Back