• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

music Musical Time Travel

dragonsfire said:
lol, Joe's Garage was famous at school during the 70's, still have my 500+ LP's from the 70's and a few from 60's. In my opinion the 80's was the beginning of the death of music, hard to find anything with soul nowadays. 
I enjoy a lot of 80's but it depends on the genre. Rap sucks and is definitely a huge part of why "black music" is a joke now compared to the days of Motown, funk, soul, original rock and roll and all that.

Billy Joel's 80's stuff is soulful. His 90's stuff is good too. Just gotta be pickier. The greatness isn't widespread but it's highly unlikely you caught it all when it was. Gather up several artists you like and listen to the songs you often skipped. They usually have other songs you may like nearly as much as their massive hits.

Those are what we like to call the "deeper cuts".  To truly appreciate an artist, you must listen to their entire body of work.  There's what was produced for radio play, and then there's the soul of the artist.  Rarely, if ever, are the two the same.
If you just listened to Lady Gaga, for example, you might never know what a truly talented pure musician she is.  (seriously, that's not a joke)

Been digging up some oldies the last couple days;

Billy Idol
Simply Red
Journey
Kansas
Marian Faithful broken English
Blue Oyster Cult
Dire Straits
Kraftwerk.......

The Hot Pepper said:
Why has nobody gone into the future with this time machine?

Let's go see Bieber in Vegas in 2044!

Rock and Rollers cut tragic figures.  We need to just enjoy the Beebs while he's still with us.  We don't want to know ahead of time, how it's gonna play out.  27 club, and all that.

Remember this every night when you curl up on those kissable pillows. 

solid7 said:

Rock and Rollers cut tragic figures.  We need to just enjoy the Beebs while he's still with us.  We don't want to know ahead of time, how it's gonna play out.  27 club, and all that.

Remember this every night when you curl up on those kissable pillows. 
My kissable pillow would be smothered in beer and ravioli..

Edmick said:
I snuck downstairs while my parents were sleeping to watch and record this performance when I was a kid. I recorded over one of my moms favorite movies. I believe it was that Barbra Streisand movie "Yentl". She was PISSED. Sorry mom. Lol
I saw he had a new video on YouTube. Haven't clicked it yet

The Hot Pepper said:
Why is that a confession?

My strongest love is metal, some older "classic rock" before it was called "metal" so in a narcissistic way I thought most of what I'd shared here was "metal." So I deviate from the norm with disclaimer I reckon... some Freudian deal I suppose.... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVle0kopfes

Here is one of those vids that popped up on my youtube account, I guess because of the theme of stuff I'd searched for and played. Never heard of this band before, but upon listening I do dig'em. Am I the only one who's never heard of this band? These guys rock  :metal: in my opinion. Thread relevance is album name....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNpDmKHAjeE&list=RDZNpDmKHAjeE&start_radio=1

Back