• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Mutant Orange Habaneros

I went to my local grocery for some Jalapenos and saw these. Definitely mutants of some sort. At 20 cents each I couldn't resist. The smaller peppers in the pic are a couple of orange habs I just picked from the garden and a few "mystery" habaneros for comparison.

201109171519000_6y0iku5u0j.jpg

Can be different type of Habanero. The look like a Habanero Naranja Picante, Habanero Adalberto, Habanero Craigs Hot, Habanero Golden, Habanero Manzano, etc :lol: Since they are so huge my guess goes to Manzano.

they look similar to the habs i bought a a garden store this year, here is a pic of one on the plant taken this morning
IMG_2347.jpg

and i have lots more on the plant about 25 right now!

Do they taste like orange habs? Heat level? I really like the way they look.

They didn't taste like the orange habs I'm familiar with. They didn't smell like the "regular" habs either when I cut into them. They are habanero hot, but not too hot. My best (and completely unscientific) guess is around the 250,000shu mark.

I took them to my girlfriends house to show her (and smoke them) and her mutant habaneros are even cooler looking. She pick up the plant at a grocery story but it's clearly crossed with something because they look sort of scorpion like with a bell shape with a "stinger" sticking out, and are hotter than the ones in the first pictures, and hotter than my Caribbean Red habaneros as well. Lucky her...

This isn't a good pic but you'll notice some of the pods are not shaped like a typical orange hab. She only had one orange one which we ate. For all I know they'll turn red eventually but might not have enough time to find out this year.

habs_091711_wq5xek7pg5.jpg

That's pretty cool to see this post :D You're not the first one to find something like that!
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/23780-this-showed-up-at-work-today-in-a-hab-box/page__p__486715__fromsearch__1#entry486715
I found that at work, a bit bumpier than yours but still a definite mutant for sure!
I also found a habanero shortly after (no pics unfortunately) that looked just like your girlfriends habs. Tail n all. Nice find man!

I think it's funny that 5 years ago you could have put a butch t in a pile of habaneros and I woulda said oh cool a red habanero! Not so much anymore :)
Brandon

That's pretty cool to see this post :D You're not the first one to find something like that!
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/23780-this-showed-up-at-work-today-in-a-hab-box/page__p__486715__fromsearch__1#entry486715
I found that at work, a bit bumpier than yours but still a definite mutant for sure!
I also found a habanero shortly after (no pics unfortunately) that looked just like your girlfriends habs. Tail n all. Nice find man!

I think it's funny that 5 years ago you could have put a butch t in a pile of habaneros and I woulda said oh cool a red habanero! Not so much anymore :)
Brandon

Yep the one you found does look a lot like them. I saved the seeds too just because it couldn't hurt.

Another coincidence is not pepper related, but I have a sister and brother in law in Puyallup. I've been up there just once but it's pretty nice. I think I'll stick to desert farming though :pray:

Back