• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

My 2008 plants + growing setup

It's about time I posted my setup....

It's not my first year of growing Chilis but I had to take a break last year and the year before that all of my seeds except for Bird's Eye didn't germinate. Soon after starting this season it became obvious that I will need some extra space to grow as much as possible in the best possible way. I don't have a garage and the cellar is far from suitable for growing anything but mould, so I was looking around the place and decided to set up a "grow shelf" in one corner. My budget is pretty limited atm so I decided to use as much "recycled" materials as possible and there I was in the cellar armed with a buzzsaw making the best I could of some old furniture...

I bought some black/white-foil from a growshop for you-know-what, because no gardening center carried it and in a grow shop they're at least not giving you strange looks if you buy indoor growing equipment. I didn't mention that I wasn't going to grow weed, but chilis, because all they would've said would've been "yeah, suuure...!" - and I couldn't even blame them... :) I covered the boards and the walls with the foil so the light would be reflected in an effective way and would stay inside the shelf at the same time...

So here's the shelf after the first phase of building it:

gs01.jpg

It has three levels/boards - the top one still being under construction, but I can't work on it atm, because I am recovering from a disc prolapse and spend most of the day flat on my back. :( I really need to get it done though, I need the space for plants!!! There is some space underneath the lower level for the "electronics", some tools, etc.... This way the necessary but not nice to look at stuff is kept outta sight but always handy.

I have an 865 light in each of the two finished levels, they are connected to a timer and are on from 6AM to 8PM. I am using chains so I can adjust the height of the lamps by 1cm. I am using tomato food as fertilizer and a mix of soil and sand. The temperature is around 22-25°C. While they are still inside they get treate with a neem/water solution I am spraying on them.

continued in next post!

This is what it looked like a few weeks ago when I placed the first plants inside it:

gs05.jpg

gs08.jpg

They are growing really well and I am quite happy with the setup. I think I am getting the most out of the little room I have. I should have more room next year (fingers crossed!!!).

A little later (already grown quite well I think):

DSC01976.jpg

DSC01964.jpg

Moving most of them outside is planned for app. mid-May. I'll keep a few of them inside, some under lights, some on the window sill. Why? Just for the heck of it!

cont. in next post!

Another week later after a good spraying:

DSC01978.jpg

...and today:

DSC01981.jpg

First flowers started showing up about a week ago, here are some on a Jalapeno:

DSC01979.jpg

I wanna thank each and everyone who has given me seeds or traded with me. All the good advice here is helpful and an inspiration at the same time - thanks!

I'll keep you posted about their (the plants) progress - I hope this wasn't too lengthy or boring... :)

I knew I forgot something important!!! :)

California Wonder
7Pot
Red Savina
Fatalii Yellow
Joe's Long
Prik Man Dam
Yellow Scotch Bonnet
Habanero White Bullet
Trinidad Scorpion
Douglah
Nipples
Congo
Turbo Pube
Kii Nun Kao
Feher
Orange Rocoto
Cherry Bomb F1
Pimenta Cambuci
Bhali Sikh Alli
Peter Pepper Red
Naga Morich
Bhut Jolokia
Dae Luang
PI 446900
Habanero Brown
Habanero Orange
Yalova Yagli
Nepali Orange
Purple Tiger
Black Namaqualand
Champion
Stripe
Aji White Wax
PI315027
Dedo de Moca
Jalapeno
Rocoto wurzelförmig
Rocoto Aji Largo
Hungarian Black
Israel Red
Aurora
Dutch Red
Dutch Yellow
Habanero Red
Habanero Yellow
Bird's Eye
Pimiento Padron

A few varieties I have just received, but couldn't resist growing have not germinated yet. Everything else looks very much like what you see on the pics!

Can't you feel the blisters forming on your skin, there's no escape from my evil curse!!!

smiley_emoticons_devil.gif

Now we got this set straight: I should curse myself for forgetting that!!!

Thanks, Podpiper!

Water or a 0.5% water/neem solution. I am using some stuff called Neemulgan, the emulgator Neem needs is already in there and one tiny bottle lasts a whole season.

neemulgan_100_zc.jpg

Chiliac said:
Thanks, Podpiper!

Water or a 0.5% water/neem solution. I am using some stuff called Neemulgan, the emulgator Neem needs is already in there and one tiny bottle lasts a whole season.

neemulgan_100_zc.jpg
50% neem oil?

i thought you may have been spraying with Epson Salt or something to green them up they are very green . I am having a problem getting mine to that color green this year. need to give them something but not sure what.

Dale

I can point you to the website selling it, no problem! Or order some for you and send it your way in case they don't ship to Israel... Just let me know.

The oils I buy, I purchase here. more available and really cheap, so think I'll just mix them myself. thanks for the offer, though.

thepodpiper said:
i thought you may have been spraying with Epson Salt or something to green them up they are very green . I am having a problem getting mine to that color green this year. need to give them something but not sure what.

Dale

I have never heard of Epson Salt tbh. Has anyone used it?

Dale, what is this stuff?

Back