• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

My 2010 County Fair Project

Just got the word - the fair has agreed to allow me to have raised garden beds next year. This will be quite a challenge, as I need to grow as many different types of vegetables as I can, along with some herbs. Plus, the beds will be built on an asphalt parking lot so drainage will have to be considered. Additionally, I have (or want) the veggies to be ripe by the second week of August - about three months from frost free day.

Another aspect is showing "city folk" and children who some veggies grow, especially root vegetables. For things such as carrots, beets, potatoes, etc., I'm considering using clear storage containers (narrow ones, maybe a foot wide if I can find them) to grow some plants in. During the summer, keep the sides covered but then during the fair, take the plastic off so visitors can see the carrots, potatoes, etc., in the soil.

This should be a fun summer!!!

Mike

Thats a great idea about showing the kids the veggies in the dirt, i remember seeing a doco on kids in the UK and half of them thought that potato chips were made from apple :crazy:

That does sound like fun! An idea for the drainage, you could put corrugated pipes on the bottom of the bed, like they use around foundations. Then gravel then the dirt.

Mike, you have the greenhouse so you can have your young plants quite large before you set them out in the raised beds. That will get you produce by fair time.

There are some clear/frosted whiteish totes that would be about the right size to show carrots, beets, etc. Maybe even some onions? Radishes don't take long to mature and always put on a good show.

It sounds like you have a fun project, both to educate and think of all the unusual things you can put in the grow boxes. Herbs make a good showing and will be ready by fair time I'm sure. Hope you have a great time.

Thanks, everyone. This project looks like it may the most challenging, as well as the most fun, I've had in 50 years!

Besides the raised beds (suggestions appreciated for everything that can be gown) I want to have themed containers. For instance, one I am planning is a PB&J container - peanuts on the outside, something like strawberries in the middle.

Another one will be Peter Rabbit: Carrots on the outside, lettuce in the middle.

What about an All-American Meal? Potatoes on the edges, corn with green beans that wrap around the corn in the middle?

With my GH, germination chamber, grow room with lights and the vast wisdom of the members of this forum (and Garden Web, another growing forum), I hope to create an outstanding display.

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Mike

Back