• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

My carnivorous plants [Pictures heavy]

Well sadly none of the Flytrap seeds germinated. I had them in moss, kept them moist, kept them warm still nothing. Don't know what I did wrong. 

I do not know the humidity, the temps were 85 Degrees Fahrenheit. Kept it moist and covered. I don't have a picture at this time, I got rid of my setup and turned it into a compost bin.

I see. Your seeds was still there or they was 'eaten' by the moss?

Im sorry about this, the first time i tried vfts seeds was a disaster too.

I like cp's. I never had much success at growing them, I probably didn't know enough about them to germinate seeds properly. Maybe one day I'll dive more into that range of plants. Right now I've been focusing on bananas lately.

They could have, I sprinkled them on top of the moss. I could still see them on the moss. You think they could have been old seeds?
From the flytrap store, i dont think so. The key in dionaea seeds germination is the relative humidity, light and temperature. If your seeds are sowed on peat moss or LFS, if the days temperature are over 25C, and over 20C at night, and the light is strong ie: sun or t5 tubes, just wait, its a matter of time. Some of my seeds still sprout after months in the moss.

From my experience, the best and fastest results come when i sow them under a humidity dome, in full sun. The temps was like 30C and every seeds pop the same 2-3 days.

I picked up this sundew at my local garden store today. Let's see if this starts an addiction.

IMG_3942 by rwturk85, on Flickr
Hey congrats! Its a nice healthy clump of sundews :-) The specie is aliciae or spatulata?

ThePepperTrent said:
Okay, thank you. I still have the seeds and stuff so I shall do what you say. I guess there is still hope and I won't give up on them yet!
Never give up ! Some carnivorous plants(heliamphora, nepenthes) can sprout after almost a year! Carnivorous plants are very special plants.

keybrdkid said:
I like cp's. I never had much success at growing them, I probably didn't know enough about them to germinate seeds properly. Maybe one day I'll dive more into that range of plants. Right now I've been focusing on bananas lately.

When you will be ready, we will be here to help ! :)

This thread is filled with awesome pictures! I really don't know much in these types of plant, so scrolling through the topic is really interesting! Keep it up, you have an amazing thread going on, François ;)

H.minor "burgundy-black"
16827181028_c528148e56_b.jpg

H.minor var pilosa
17014054981_853ded3cb7_c.jpg

H.minor var minor
16817491150_0e7bdd01f1_k.jpg

Hi I just spent 5 hour looking at some nepenthes plants and a bunch of orchids and I can say they are not cheap, but because my health is not the best I will have time to pamper what ever I decide on. The hospital owns my soul and I will never get out of dept. But I might be able to squirrel away a $100.00   and buy a few nepenthes and orchids a few at a time. each month.
I have a empty 50 gallon fish tank that would work great for the nepenthes till they got to big. There are some varieties that can produce huge pitchers big enough swallow that cat or a small dog, but it takes a long time 3 or more years before they start producing really big pitchers on them. One of the vendors that I was looking at had a real nice deep red with black markings that had a real toothy pitcher for about $40.00 and one that looked like it had snake fangs on the lid of the pitcher. I think I can get at least two nepenthes and a couple of Orchids. When I was much younger and lived in Calif. I had several really nice Orchids, but I let my mom take care of them and she killed every one. So now that I'm in my late Golden years I want to give them another shot. 

Oh yes if anyone has some Nepenthes seeds or a cutting or two I would be more than happy to buy them. The more weird and terrifying the better, also I don't care if they get really big as I have lots of room in fact I have a whole extra bed room and a front and Back porch that I can hang as many plants as I want, so space is no problem.

Wow active thread since I've been away!! Wildseed, I'll have to see what I can come up with. What lighting are you planning on using for the 50 gallon tank? I'm dividing my sarracenia will be finishing later, but those are outside full sun plants. Nepenthes seed are hard to come by sometimes, but they do. Shelf life is short on them.

I'll be posting more pics soon. After I catch up with thread and sleep. Lol

HI jb_orchidguy I have several florescent T8 and T12 fixtures,  some of the T12's are plain shop lights and others are blue and red spectrum for fish and plants. The T8s are listed as natural sunlight although on set is more red than the other. What type of orchids do you grow? I want to get another moth and or a  spider Orchid for my mom she just turned 93 last December and I had got her a pretty pink with red spots moth orchid it was some cross that was on sell and now she wants me to get her some more.  I will get to take care of them for her but that's ok with me.  My apt. looks like a green house and smells like one with my 10 tropical house plants, orchid cactus and 60 some odd peppers, tomato and eggplants that I have growing right now. I have a 22 year old San Padro cactus that's 5 ft tall with several columns right next to the front door the thing is so heavy to move I have to use a dolly to move it and it still tries to get me every time I move it out side.  I also have a 25 year old 8 ft. dragon tree that I keep cutting it back each year so I can bring it in for the winter. I wish I could get rid of them but I can't find anyone that would take the monsters.  

Oh yes where I'm at I have to travel at least 70 mile to the nearest large city that would have a store that might sell a few orchids, but I have to order on line to buy any Nepenthes and they would have to take a money order or check as I have maxed out my cards trying to pay my medical bills. My word is good as gold but they could care less so they are on my squeeze a turnip list. Good thing they can't garnish my SSI.

Back