• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My chilli adventure and problems... with photos

Great link Blister!

I did investigate the original link posted by orangehero (thanks mate!) and must admit that upon investigation and comparison that I didn't think that the symptoms mine are exhibiting led to phosphorous deficiency... but that link you found is an excellent reference also. Cheers.

Auton0my said:
Thanks for the responses all.

I still don't know what the brown staining is on the leaves... I guess it must be quite rare to see it.

I will try Neil's recommendations and report back with results.

Some of my Yellow 7 pods went like that i just cut back in there water for a while and changed my type of fertilizer

willard3 said:
If your Ph is now under control, what I see is overfeeding problems.

Thanks for the responce Willard.

Just to confirm - do you mean suplying to much in the way of nutrients? Or do you mean watering to often?

This week the problems have gotten worse.
More leaves are yellowing... a deep, dense shade of yellow. And others have got the brown (and now purple-ish) coming on more obvisouly.
Some of the yellow leaves are also starting to detach from the main stem. It's not even older leaves... even some newer ones

Ph has been measured. 6 to 6.5 in both water and soil measurements.

It's been disheartening to see these plants go from super vibrant a few weeks ago to progressively worse each day... and I cant for the life of me seems to get on top of the problem.

Geez I'm pissed off. I took these photos this afternoon.

Looking at the Blister's link above I can see minor similarities in a few of the photos... but its hard to decide how to fix what is going on here.

For example, a deficiency in a nutrient... and excessive quantities of that same nutrient produce the same symptoms. So my concern is that I make the problem worse in trying to fix it. Or perhaps the organic aphid spray I used that was supposed to be safe for chilis did this? Or perhaps the nutrient solution, the potting mix maybe.... geez... I'm stumped.

I did what AJ said and tried the Epsom Salts on two plants... three days now and no change. Put on via foliage spray and also a little mixed in while watering.

What do you guys reckon? Can I save them? Or bin them and start again?
(I've spread the photos over two posts).

P1010021.jpg

P1010024.jpg

P1010025.jpg

Don't bin them if they're not dead. I can't give you any advice as to what's wrong with them but they look to be still putting out new growth so I'd just plant them outside and see how they go. If they die anyway, then you've lost nothing. If they come good, you'll be grateful you didn't give up on them. Good luck.

I wouldn't chuck them either. They are still growing and they are still putting out new foliage as SYJ said. The solution isn't going to be an overnight one, especially since they are at such an advanced stage. In fact, you're probably going to lose the deep yellowed and purple leaves. I had two habanero plants that were heavily affected by crappy soil, aphids and spider mites. They were in great shape starting to get nice and bushy before repotting and the insects got to them, then they nearly lost every leaf. I managed to turn them around and get them producing by the end of the year. They just looked pitiful the whole way through. In fact, they still look kinda crappy :oops:, but they did produce.

Perhaps you could give us a little more information on things like

1. what you've used for ferts (if any)
2. how often you water
3. any additives that may have been put in the soil like blood and bone meal etc.
4. any pests that may have been on the plants like aphids or spider mites
5. any insecticide use or treatments
6. what type of soil they are in

You can add anything extra if I've missed anything.

Back