• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

my chocolate trinidad scorpions are flowering...what should I do?

they get about 3 hours of direct sun and a lot of indirect sun. My soil isn't the greatest, the only nutrients it gets is from compost tea made out of fish powder, grass clippings, worm castings, and poultry manure using brown sugar instead of molasses.

is there anything I can do to make sure the flowers don't fall off?

cactusMD said:
they get about 3 hours of direct sun and a lot of indirect sun. My soil isn't the greatest, the only nutrients it gets is from compost tea made out of fish powder, grass clippings, worm castings, and poultry manure using brown sugar instead of molasses.

is there anything I can do to make sure the flowers don't fall off?
Based on the tea you are feeding your soil is probably better than most and very active by now! Keep doing what your doing..and no need for any bloom ferts.

Why are you guys so against the use of bloom ferts? Its not like the tea hes feeding with is extremely high in NPK. I see no harm in using a bloom fert once in a while

megahot said:
Why are you guys so against the use of bloom ferts? Its not like the tea hes feeding with is extremely high in NPK. I see no harm in using a bloom fert once in a while
You dont need high NPK. If his soil web is active and alive he is good to go.

To Cactus MD...sometimes they will drop flowers when they firts start flower...dont worry though as it continues to bloom they will start setting. I had a reaper that that did this and I thought it would never start podding. Now it wont stop!

Hmmmm... ok not sure what you mean his soil is active and alive unless there was beneficial bacteria in it by using Mykos or something like that. Which do ypu recommend? What he is feeding his plants vs using worm tea, blossom fert, and bone meal like I use?

Fact is ferts are not necessary with peppers. They just arent. Bloom ferts are even less necessary. Have a good soil and let them go and be happy. Peppers grow and bloom at the same time meaning higher P and K really have no effect. Have a healthy soil instead.

I think he's saying that it wont hurt to use some ferts. I personally use them (botanicare pro-gro, cal-mag +, fulvex) and from all the comments on my glog I gather that my plants are pretty badass. I've made and used tea once, but I've been using ferts way way longer. And my soil isn't what I'd call "great" it's some stuff called jungle growth (from lowe's) and i just mixed in some mushroom compost (1.5 gallons per 7 gallon root pouch).

Anyways, I guess my point is i see no harm in using ferts, now a bloom specific fertilizer may not be necessary, but there's no harm using it.

I was using Fox Farms Ocean Forrest for my plants last yr and my ButchT would not produce any pods, I had hundreds of blossoms but still no pods until one day I said screw it and began feeding the plant double the bloom ferts, next thing I know I have about 75 pods! I think if the plants are in the ground they are a lot less nutrient dependant vs pots.

I dissolved some tums in water and gave my 2 plants that are flowering that

then I went to a hydroponics store and bought too much

gave it CALiMAGic after getting back from the store because I forgot it gave it dissolved TUMS

then gave it some Bloombastic

I wonder if the nodes are gonna be okay

healthy%20harvest%20010.jpg

watch your temps, high night-time temps = flower drop and there isn't much you can do about it if you are growing outside. Here it's getting to 90 in the day and staying in the 80's at night. I have a lot of flower drop this week, but also have a lot of peppers already formed. last year July and August I had almost no peppers, but they started right back up in late September and never stopped until December. 

my habanero hasn't dropped any flowers really but it's in shade most of the time, are yours in more than 2 hours of sun a day?

Yeah I reckon greenman is right about the temperature thing. We are heading up to mid winter in my neck of the woods and my plants are covered in flowers but I am having a high rate of flower drop and the pods that do set are runts. Cant wait for spring.

Most new chile growers want to treat chiles like they do tomatos and fertilize like crazy for a bigger crop.

Chiles are a realtively unengineered crop not yet engineered by Monsanto and can't use a lot of N P or K.....they are definitely not tomatos.

I grow successfully in hydro using low and equal ratio of NPK from seedling to fruit with great success.

You would be shocked to see how little extra fertilizer is used on chiles where they are grown in Méjico and they grow like gangbusters.

Stop worrying about which fertilizer to use when and read a book instead.

So, what about us first time growers with the basic mg potting soil lol. My bhuts have a ton of flower pods on them (weren't open as of yesterday) this is my first grow so id like to keep it simple until i get the understanding of the life cycles of the plants. Would all i need is some calcium? Calmag or i thought the tums idea was funny and pretty cool. I'm in south fla, so i have warm nights. Plants are in the sun for most of the day.

cactusMD said:
my habanero hasn't dropped any flowers really but it's in shade most of the time, are yours in more than 2 hours of sun a day?
Yeah, my in ground plants are in sun from about 9am to 4 or 5 pm. but the ones in pots only get 9am-12pm and they are doing much better. 
My Chocolate 7 (in the sun) stopped setting pods completely, and I just harvested the last giant pod last week. 
It looks like the Tobago Seasoning nearby has also stopped setting fruit. 
The Naga right next to it still hasn't stopped producing going on 4 straight months now, so it may be the Afghan/Indian varieties handle extreme heat better than the Caribbeans (as would be expected coming from that region). 

USMC said:
So, what about us first time growers with the basic mg potting soil lol. My bhuts have a ton of flower pods on them (weren't open as of yesterday) this is my first grow so id like to keep it simple until i get the understanding of the life cycles of the plants. Would all i need is some calcium? Calmag or i thought the tums idea was funny and pretty cool. I'm in south fla, so i have warm nights. Plants are in the sun for most of the day.
You won't need calcium in Ft lauderdale. Our tap water is full of the stuff. Magnesium maybe, but don't add it unless you see deficiencies. Give the plants shade all afternoon if possible in the summer. 

USMC said:
http://m1062.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/sportnaeagle001/Mobile%20Uploads/20130624_142815.jpg.html?o=0

these are soon to be flowers correct? Sorry I'm on my phone can't post directly into the forum.
yep. 

Back