• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil My current grow. (Carribean Reds in soil)

They are about a month or so old. In regular soil from walmart under 4 125 watt cfl lamps

IMAG0283.jpg

IMAG0282.jpg

IMAG0281.jpg

IMAG0280.jpg

and a random image

girlNextdoor.jpg

I wonder if the CFLs can penetrate the thick leaves to get to the new growth underneath them..... Or does that even matter since it gets a lot of energy from those leaves.

Nice looking growth for a month old,
I haven't used that type up lighting for plants....but it seems you have alot for 2 plants
Are you intending to grow these indoors through the winter?
If so you have a pretty early start and you might need to upgrade to a stronger light source.......just my opinion

Nice looking growth for a month old,
I haven't used that type up lighting for plants....but it seems you have alot for 2 plants
Are you intending to grow these indoors through the winter?
If so you have a pretty early start and you might need to upgrade to a stronger light source.......just my opinion

I am planning on keeping them indoors permanently, as I live in a condo with no natural light. I have 400 watt san angro HPS lamp, but want to see how long I can get by with just the four CFLs. (should I switch now?)

i only use CFL, 6500K, 23watts, i think they kick out about 1200 lumens and my hydro plants are fine.

after only ever eating orange habs,ceyennes,jalapeno,serrano and fresno, i had my first caribbean red last year and was surprised, at first i didn't like it but then i just kept nibbling at the pods until i learned to like it. now i appreciate its uniqueness. here's a pic of one of my plants just coming into ripening with a big fat juicy pod(i have 3 plants).

HPIM1981.jpg

I am planning on keeping them indoors permanently, as I live in a condo with no natural light. I have 400 watt san angro HPS lamp, but want to see how long I can get by with just the four CFLs. (should I switch now?)
[/quote]

No need to switch yet, you could wait until the main stem branches out,
and even with that note, you could also pinch back the new growth when the plants about a ft or so tall
that would encourage lower shoots to emerge along the main stem and lateral branches,
resulting in a more "shrub-like" compact growth,... ( more branches, more flowers, more peppers )...more $$$$
The last thing that you'd want is a leggy plant indoor,....your HID lamp will do the job quite nice
Your plants look great... continue with cfl's for now ......you'll know when to fire up the "big gun"

Good luck, and keep posting photos...

No need to switch yet, you could wait until the main stem branches out,
and even with that note, you could also pinch back the new growth when the plants about a ft or so tall
that would encourage lower shoots to emerge along the main stem and lateral branches,
resulting in a more "shrub-like" compact growth,... ( more branches, more flowers, more peppers )...more $$$$
The last thing that you'd want is a leggy plant indoor,....your HID lamp will do the job quite nice
Your plants look great... continue with cfl's for now ......you'll know when to fire up the "big gun"

Good luck, and keep posting photos...

Was wondering about pinching the tip. I've done it with other plants never peppers though.

i only use CFL, 6500K, 23watts, i think they kick out about 1200 lumens and my hydro plants are fine.

after only ever eating orange habs,ceyennes,jalapeno,serrano and fresno, i had my first caribbean red last year and was surprised, at first i didn't like it but then i just kept nibbling at the pods until i learned to like it. now i appreciate its uniqueness. here's a pic of one of my plants just coming into ripening with a big fat juicy pod(i have 3 plants).

HPIM1981.jpg

What type of hydro system? How many of those lights do you use?

those look great for only a month!

If you can afford the power bill, I'd set up your HPS and you CFLs at the same time. More light equals more peppers.

Also as said above, top those plants to encourage the lower growth. Might want to prune some of the lower leaves to aid light penetration towards the stem as well.

Back