vendor my experience with Chili Pepper Pete

I ordered 2 packets of facing heaven long, 1 packet of laughing facing heaven, and 1 packet of little cutie facing heaven.

The long facing heaven pepper packet says that there is a low germination rate, so you include extra seeds, but one of packets had only 8 seeds - two were broken - and the other only 9 (see picture).

I set all but one packet of facing heaven long seeds to germinate. I've germinated a lot of chili peppers before, and I fold a moist paper towel around the seeds and put them in a plastic bag, then I seal the bag and put it on a heating pad on the low setting (thermometer reads 83 degrees).

After 10 days, 2 of the 10 laughing facing heaven seeds began to germinate. It's been a month, and none of the other 26 seeds show any signs of beginning to germinate, so I got about a 7% germination rate, and zero for both the cuties and the longs.

This season, I germinated some thai hots using the same method, and got about 70% germination.

I'm pretty disappointed I won't be getting a chance to grow the little cuties or long peppers. Hopefully, the laughing peppers will be great.

10 days isn't long enough.. At least 21 days.

Anyways Welcome.
" It's been a month, and none of the other 26 seeds show any signs of beginning to germinate"

My problem with this vendor is that he sells his hybrids like the bubblegum 7 without mentioning that they won't grow true. People should know what they are buying and not be tricked because they are naive or gullible. I also notice he stole my pic for Trinidad scorpion-BT. I'm getting tired of these picture thieves using my pics for their profit.

He also says "Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend: The superhot of the moment is the Trinidad Scorpion crossed with the Morouga also from Trinidad" which is wrong. From my understanding there is no close relation between the red moruga and the Trinidad scorpion Moruga blend other than they are grown in a region of Trinidad known as Moruga

The reason I like the BBG 7 is because it will be a f2 seed. As I plan on trying my hand at learning what a pain "growing a pepper out" is. For me as the years go,I may try my hand at crossing myself,and will hopefully have some exp in growing them out. In my email to him asking about this pepper,within the first 2 he made sure to tell me they were f2. So I can't speak for others.
I grow for myself,and some friends!

I don't think it's hard to choose not to trade/buy the seeds,no?

As far as images,I don't think that is right of people to do,and I'm sure an email will fix that!

Watermarks are very easy to remove.

Not if done properly and incorporated into the image - especially since those that would steal the pics in the first place most likely have no photo editing software or experience and are LAZY -- it would at least make it a bit more difficult to use them and chances are they'd just use some other non watermarked image that comes up in their search results !!

My bad, I visited there today without checking here!
First impressions, a really good (read GREAT!) selection of sauces, an easy on the eye shop assistant, who unfortunately did not have much product knowledge but was helpful.
Don't dwell on that, not everybody can survive tasting the sauces you like, but maybe she could have a crib sheet?
Parking is a nightmare, mail order is cheaper than the car park!
I will definately go there again, as I thought the prices were reasonable, even if it is a 70 mile drive each way, ( a few things notably cheaper in other places, but thats life! )
I am a little concerned about the seeds I bought now that I have seen the comments, but I will not know until next year if they are ok!
£2.50 a pack or 5 for £10. Seems on the high side, but depends on the quantity of seeds, I will be pissed off if there are less than 10 in the packet, but only peeved if there are less than 25. Seriously nobody should be paying more than 10p a seed (16 cents ?) unless it is cutting edge or super rare.

Sorry, I had to edit the number of seeds, I got interrupted while writing, and had a Blonde moment when I finished the post.

I heard back from the company, and sadly, Chili Pepper Pete himself passed away. His daughter offered me a full refund. I thanked her and turned it down, but I think for future customers, they are going to try to come through with the ample number of seeds. I just wanted to let everyone know I'm touched that they followed up with me in this period of difficulty.

Damn, Prehensile went on the attack! As a newbie myself, I like the site, but the attacks on newbies is uncalled for. Nate didn't make the first post asking for free seeds or pods, and neither did I. I lurked around for a while until I felt comfortable to join. It seems as though this site has gotten away from its "welcoming" reputation and moved toward an intolerant one, or an exclusive one where you need to be accepted by the regulars before you can post anything. NO OFFENSE MEANT TO THE SITE OR THE MODERATORS HERE.

Nate, it was a great post, as I have never heard of the peppers you mention! Now I'd like to learn more if the regulars allow it! I do not consider your post to be a bitch session either, instead, a warning about a vendor. Maybe Prehensile has a vested interest in Pete? If you wish to share seeds, I'll accept humbly!

Glad to meet you. Hope to talk more in future posts!

Damn, Prehensile went on the attack! As a newbie myself, I like the site, but the attacks on newbies is uncalled for. Nate didn't make the first post asking for free seeds or pods, and neither did I. I lurked around for a while until I felt comfortable to join. It seems as though this site has gotten away from its "welcoming" reputation and moved toward an intolerant one, or an exclusive one where you need to be accepted by the regulars before you can post anything. NO OFFENSE MEANT TO THE SITE OR THE MODERATORS HERE.

Nate, it was a great post, as I have never heard of the peppers you mention! Now I'd like to learn more if the regulars allow it! I do not consider your post to be a bitch session either, instead, a warning about a vendor. Maybe Prehensile has a vested interest in Pete? If you wish to share seeds, I'll accept humbly!

Glad to meet you. Hope to talk more in future posts!
Come on, Attack? did you miss the sorry or the welcome?

"I'm thinking you may want to say hi to everyone here before you go into a bitch session strait away," is what you wrote.

Sorry for any confusion and I do not want to start any arguments. I just think that this forum is open to everyone regardless of whether they post in the welcome thread or begin with a "bitch sesson" as you described it. If I am wrong, please correct me. That sentence is a little off-putting and condescending in my opinion. My opinion is as valid as any other on this forum, right?

Of course it is, Bitch session is just a descriptive term that you read and interpreted your way, I had an experience with THSC, seeds got crushed in the mail I took pictures sent them a message with pics and they promptly shipped a new order with apologies. Things happen, I sold a pack of 25 BTs to a guy up north, the mailman must have stepped on em and ground em into the floor from his description. I asked him to send some pics and I will ship new seeds out immediately, his quote "I can't do that I planted all the ones that looked good and threw away the envelope." He later sent a note stating that 15 of em popped. If I had come on here and for my first post complained about The Hippy Seed Co. without giving them a chance to fix it, I would have expected a good tongue lashing myself and deserved it. Words are that just words the reader gives them meaning. :dance:

Understood Prehensile. I do not believe that there should be tongue lashing though, to any other member. It turns new members off and makes them afraid to post anything when met with such adverse attitude. I was, and still am, afraid that my objection would be consdered trolling or starting sh*t which it truly is not, nor is it meant to be.

I appreciate the replies though Prehensile. I do not want to hijack the OP's thread with this. Where I am from, words have meaning, and that is why people speak/post them. With all due respect, using the term "bitch session" cannot be misinterpreted. Sounds to me like the OP was frustrated and needed to be guided on how to handle the situation to benefitboth parties.

Then again, I could have read it wrong too. I am saddened to know that Pete passed away.

Back