• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds My first chilli seedlings ^.^

Hi all! Thought i'd share these pics of these cute little buggers.

They are about 3 weeks old since planting.
I have planted: 7pot (thanks to chilliseedbank!), Trinidad Scorpions, Aji Omnicolour, Bolivian Rainbow, Bhut Jolokia, Jalapeno, Orange Habanero, and "Razamatazz".

Currently have 5/5 Aji's up, 5/5 Bolivian Rainbows, 0/5 Jalapenos (what a disaster, lol!!! maybe just slow starters), 3/5 Orange Habaneros, 3/5 Bhuts, 5/5 Razamatas. The 7pots and Triniscorps i only just planted but judging on how fast the others germinated they should be up in

I don't know what i'm going to do considering its winter in like a week haha.
I've never grown chillis before, how do they go in NSW winter? I'm in campbelltown so it's a little warmer than the rest of Sydney so that may be of some help.

I have a tray with 85mm pots ready for them to go in when they get 2 sets of leaves, and they will sit under the fluro still, and then i have 150mm pots for them.

I imagine they will be ok indoors in a window in those 150mm pots until spring comes yea?

It might be a bit early in season for me to be growing haha but i suppose Aussie climate is a bit more forgiving : / . I couldnt wait any longer, haha!

They will survive no-worries indoors but i wouldn't expect for them to grow much. I have a Fatalli that i planted 4 months ago and has been kept on a windowsil. It's still only around 60mm high and has only 4 sets of true leaves!

I don't know if this stunts them or not but im going to find out ;)

LancelBracken said:
Interestingly, these two Bhuts in shot have purpley-green leaves, the other on the other end of the row is fully green.

I noticed my early Bhut leaves turning purple as well, especially if they received a lot of light. Might be just a characteristic of the Bhut as I didn't notice it on anything else. Nice pictures - welcome from Virginia.

I like the idea of leaving an empty tray to water through, so simple and so perfect. I'm gonna have to keep that in mind.

I had the same thing happen with my jalapenos, they seemed to take forever and a day to finally get going.

LancelBracken said:
I've never grown chillis before, how do they go in NSW winter? I'm in campbelltown so it's a little warmer than the rest of Sydney so that may be of some help.

I have a tray with 85mm pots ready for them to go in when they get 2 sets of leaves, and they will sit under the fluro still, and then i have 150mm pots for them.

I imagine they will be ok indoors in a window in those 150mm pots until spring comes yea?

It might be a bit early in season for me to be growing haha but i suppose Aussie climate is a bit more forgiving : / . I couldnt wait any longer, haha!

I did the same thing in November. I started "test seeds" for the fun of it. Now they are my biggest and strongest plants and will be out in the yard next weekend. And I didn't have 130 W, I only had 2 x 23 W CFLs...:cool: So your plants will be fine.

Skydiver said:
I like the idea of leaving an empty tray to water through, so simple and so perfect. I'm gonna have to keep that in mind.

I had the same thing happen with my jalapenos, they seemed to take forever and a day to finally get going.

Yea, it seems to work really well. Despite watering from the bottom, the top of the soil ends up nice and moist just the same, and seems to stay moister for longer than spraying. I'm still figuring out how much is enough, but i think i will stick to 1 whole cup per day, in the morning.

Good to know with the jalas :D . I did have one up but after getting home from a day out the cell it was in was bone dry and the sprout shrivelled and brown, heh oops! Thats why i started bottom watering as it seems to stay wet a lot longer and at least i can be certain the water isnt just on the surface.

I'm going to have to start top watering when they go in 85mm pots though as the roots wont be deep enough and also my trays for those pots aren't fully enclosed. Hopefully when they have 2-3 sets of leaves they will be sturdy enough for gentle watering can watering, spray bottling that many 85mm pots would drive me insane!!!

Looking good there mate. I might do a test run also with a few Jalapeno seeds since it will be all new to me too. I'd rather kill the Jals than anything else.

LancelBracken said:

Bunnings, Aldi, kmart, all sell cheap little hot houses or greenhouses.... I would invest in one of those.

CM

10 Days on! They have growwwwwwn hahaha!

Some are starting to pop out their second set of true leaves. There's the odd root poking through to the bottom of the seed tray, i suppose i should repot them into 80mm/3inch pots soon yea???

I replanted all 5 Jalapenos as i had no germination. I also scratched around at any remaining seeds that had not germinated in the other rows, and replanted any that were still not germinated.
I had a bit of a disaster with a Trini Scorp. It had popped up with the seed still stick on the immature cotlyedons, and i tried to pull it off and DECAPITATED HIM! Ohh no hahaha. I am sure it will die but i am letting it sit there to see what happens.
A 7pot also popped up with a seed cap on and instead of trying to pull this one off i just wet it every day and it is slowly slipping off. As i was taking these pics i gave it another tug and it came off, yay!

From top to bottom rows:
Razzamatazz Small Red Hot
Bhut Jolokia
7 Pot
Trinidad Scorpion
Orange Habanero
Jalapeno (still 0/5 up lol)
Bolivian Rainbow
Aji Omnicolours
chilliseedlings23may.jpg

Compare this to the second picture in the original post. These are the same Aji Omnicolours, and currently my biggest seedlings! Is this ok growth for 10days between the two photos?
chilliseedlingsbiggestAjiOmni23may.jpg

This is a similar shot to the third picture in original post. True leaves ahoy! Haha
chilliseedlings23may1.jpg

I have also lowered the amount i'm bottom watering them in the morning from 250ml/1cup to 175ml or 3/4cup, as the soil was staying a bit too moist on a full cup.

I spray non germinated seeds throughout the day when i notice they look dry, as they obviously dont get much out of bottom watering until they have roots.

So far no dampening off problems... fingers crossed!

They're looking good! they're a bit sensitive at that "age", but as long as you keep up with the good work, you've got nothing to worry about.

RichardK said:
How do you know whats what?

Well the Aji Omni, Bol Rainbow, Jalapenos, and Orange habs i planted in alphabetical order.

And the Raz and Bhuts i planted at the other end of the tray.

Then came the Trini Scorps and 7pots in the middle.

so i guess i just remember :D when i put them in large pots i will have to label them but heheh

I think i lost my smallest Bolivian Rainbow seedling this morning :(

Slept in till lunchtime and the cell was bone dry and the poor bugger was all curled up. There's still some green so it might recover.

I've taken the heat mat off as this really dries out the cells fast, and going back to 1 full cup water every morning.

Back