• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

My First Grow Season Log

Hi all!

So I'm very new to this whole game and I've never grown peppers from seed before. I was poking around here, got a few ideas and started my first seeds Monday. A little late in the season I know, but better late than never...I'm just hoping something grows by the end of the year!

Anyways I wasn't planning on doing a log, but yesterday (I'm out of town every Wednesday night) my wife called and said "Do you know you have a sprout?" and I got super jazzed :dance: and I don't know who else to tell!

Hopefully you guys can help me out along the way, I have little to no idea what I'm doing. I also have very little money for this so my set up is kind of half-assed. I've got 40 seeds, some Bhut Jolokia, Habanero, White Habenero, Serrano, Hot Chocolate, and Scotch Bonnet growing in Burpee cells under a regular fluorescent light. The light is about 6 inches above the dirt and runs 16 hrs on, 8 off. All I've been doing is spraying the top of the tray with a water bottle to keep it moist. Any other suggestion?

I'll post some pics later tonight when I get home, I'm just really excited!:party:

Sounds like you have a good place to start. I would lower the light to about 3" over the dirt, soon as they come up you want to get the light on them and keep it close, 1-2" above their little leaves. As they grow, try to maintain this distance. What is your temp in the area you are growing at?

I missed your intro thread, so... Welcome PMD, there are a few other Michiganders on the forum here. Get some pics up and you gotta try the Dr. Pepper. Seems like you have a good start going.

Matt50680 said:
Sounds like you have a good place to start. I would lower the light to about 3" over the dirt, soon as they come up you want to get the light on them and keep it close, 1-2" above their little leaves. As they grow, try to maintain this distance. What is your temp in the area you are growing at?

Ok thanks! Like I said, it's a poor man's set-up. I just used books to prop a fluorescent fixture I took off of an old desk unit above the tray. I don't really have the means (that I know of) to really control the temp up there. Won't the lamp create some amount of heat?

Here is a picture of my "set-up", but I have moved the light lower to about 3" above the soil (thanks Matt). I have pics of the sprouts at home so I'll post those later:

IMG_1426.jpg

Back