• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics my first grow w/pics

hi there everybody this is my very first grow 1 1/2 wks. ago top row(L-R): bt scorpion,bt scorpion,moruga scorpion....bottom row(L-R): 7pot cardi,7pot cardi,moruga scorpion my light of choice is (1)ecosmart 27w 5000k cfl daytime spectrum w/cheap shop fixture. is this enough lighting? i only need it till they are strong enough to go outdoors on their own during the daytime hrs only nitetime they are coming indoors.im from hawaii if that makes any difference .do i need more lighting? am i using the correct cfl specs?do i need to cover with reflective material?any suggestions and tips are very much appreciated....thankx in advanced.

14vnz2p.jpg

fx48wz.jpg

Hey leen,

If you could provide more light, perhaps double up what your using would help.
Since your able to grow year round outdoors I would assume that you can plant out soon, I would suggest using a fan while indoors to acclimate the seedlings to wind. The breeze that the fan produces can help toughen up the stems.
Bring your lights as close to the plants as possible, with a cfl 1 to 2" should work. I use a variety of lights and they're all placed at different distances from the plant tops. I'll determine the spacing by placing the back of my hand under each type of light, moving my hand closer to where it starts to feel warm. At the point where I can leave my hand for at least ten seconds , with no additional heat build-up will be the point where I'll place the top of the plants. Flouros 2", MH 400W 14", HPS 600W 18"...that's how I do it.
Foil reflection helps, before you pot up or pot out your 6 cups I'd wrap each individually with a sheet of foil. Maybe placing about an inch worth around and above the top leaves of the seedlings...

Hope this little bit of info helps,

Greg

greg
thats how i initially had it setup 2 lites with foil wrapped around 3 corners with the rite side of the tray opened for air circulation but no fan. after 2 days and 12hrs of lite turned on each day about 2in. above the seedlings. i noticed the stems were discolored of some sort kinda purple looking.since its my very first grow it tripped me out a bit so i removed the foil and 1 set of lites so hence the single lite setup without foil wrapped around. should i go back to my original setup with the addition of a fan or leave it as how its now single lite fully opened.i dont want to damage the young seedlings.

thankx much
leen_iz_meen

greg
thats how i initially had it setup 2 lites with foil wrapped around 3 corners with the rite side of the tray opened for air circulation but no fan. after 2 days and 12hrs of lite turned on each day about 2in. above the seedlings. i noticed the stems were discolored of some sort kinda purple looking.since its my very first grow it tripped me out a bit so i removed the foil and 1 set of lites so hence the single lite setup without foil wrapped around. should i go back to my original setup with the addition of a fan or leave it as how its now single lite fully opened.i dont want to damage the young seedlings.

thankx much
leen_iz_meen

The purple in the stems of young seedlings is very common, especially with strong flouros. I see that on alot of my tomato seedlings when I

bombard them with long light cycles...no harm down, keep doing what you have been. I'd add a fan though...toughen up those plants.

We travel to Maui every year, and there's nothing like the evening breeze through the lanai........ :cool:

Greg

i will be adding a fan later this wk. glad u like the weather here on the islands and hope u enjoy your stay.appreciate the tips...leen_iz_meen

Back