• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

My First Hot Sauce

Yesterday, I put together the following:

30 Habs (some small, some large)
3 Serranos
2 tbsp ground Thais
2 onions (med)
8 cloves garlic (crushed)
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup water
1 cup lemon juice
2tbsp vinegar
1/2 pint canned fresh peaches (without syrup)

I sauted the onions and garlic
brought all ingredients to a boil
came off boil and simmered 2 hours
cooled
blended (added a bit of lime juice

boiled again for 2 minutes
boiled bottles
bottled/inverted

Picture below of the finished 6+ woozie yield: consistency and color are perfect.

My question: I expected this to be pretty hot. However, trying on grilled chicken I got a nice burst of flavors at first, with just a touch of sweet. Then some heat which grew a bit and lingered for maybe five minutes. But nothing whatsoever extreme (and I am not a really hot pepper eater - just wanted to make something that might test my limits)

I did remove the seeds and tried to leave as much placenta/membrane as possible.

What wo do to make the next one hotter??

IMG_1567.JPG

Well you did say it had a nice burst of flavors, that's a plus...

30 habs should give that amount of sauce a kick.....you might have a high tolerance to heat

If your looking for some "Torcherous Heat" try to find some fresh Trinidad type peppers or some powder...

Alittle goes a l-o-n-g-...way

Were the habs store bought or home grown? Store bought can be really down on heat level. Very roughly your ingredients are about 50:50 with heat bearing and none heat bearing, so you've effectively cut the heat from the habs by half. If they were low heat to begin with.....

Try hotter Peps like Pic 1 says. Or make sure you're getting your Habs fresh and home grown and full heat. Should be plenty of heat with 30 'good' habs!!

I'm no expert but you might be a little low on the vinegar/lime for a PH of 4 or less. I could be wrong there.

Otherwise that sounds like a tasty sauce! and the color looks true habanero. I Iike the red woozy caps, nice touch!

To me the acidifiers look ok. Rooze is right on the store bought habs being low heat. If that is the case it would cause heat level issues. I would lower the peach content a little which will bring up the heat level some without getting rid of the peach flavor.

Yep have to agree with all comments so far. Acid levels good, sugar not so high as to cut heat. Store bought Habs and serranos, that could be an issue. When I have to use them in my sauces I'll use 3 pounds of peppers to a gallon and I get a good heat. You may need to use a little overkill on the peppers or maybe grt them from a farmers market if one is close enough to you.

Cheer,
RM

Yep have to agree with all comments so far. Acid levels good, sugar not so high as to cut heat. Store bought Habs and serranos, that could be an issue. When I have to use them in my sauces I'll use 3 pounds of peppers to a gallon and I get a good heat. You may need to use a little overkill on the peppers or maybe grt them from a farmers market if one is close enough to you.

Cheer,
RM

All peppers were home grown. Habs I had frozen whole and de-seeded after thawing yesterday.

Will try all of the good suggestions in next batch. I'm hoping the acidity is good. It would seem to be, what with over a cup of lime/lemon juice and the tbsp. of vinegar in but a 45-50 oz. yield, but I'll refrigerate now to be safe.

Thanks,

Only other thing I'd suggest is leave the seeds in while making the sauce, they dont have any heat but you won't accidentally loose any heat that way, then after running the sauce through the blender you can pour it through a fine sive and remove the seeds if you really don't want them in it.

Cheers,
RM

Back