• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

My First Hot Sauce

I was bored today, so on the way home from work, I bought an inexpensive blender as part of my plan to make some hot sauce.

Ingredients:

15 Fresh F3 Superchile pods with normal Superchile characteristics
4 Fresh F3 Superchile larger hotter pods
17 Fresh Aji Cereza (little Cherry Pepper) Pods
3 Dried Superchile pods
4 Dried Aji Cereza Pods
1/2 Tablespoon of Table Salt
2 Tablespoons of Organic Raw Blue Agave
2/3 of a fresh Lime
1/2 Teaspoon of ground Ginger
60 Fresh Cranberries
3 1/2 Tablespoons of Red Wine Vinegar

Process:

Put ingredients into the Blender
Put the Blender on "high" "Milk Shake Puree" until fully mixed
Pour the mix into a pot and boil on high for 4 minutes
Collect into plastic containers and refrigerate for 1 Hour and 40 minutes

I had cleaned some old hot sauce glass bottles as I had planned to store the sauce there, but it ended up so thick, it is basically a "paste." and not really a sauce. I would not have been able to pour the paste out. It was pasty before the boil off.

Review:

Smell:

Straight out of the blender and after the boil off, it was very hot (not deadly hot, a few levels removed from deadly hot, but a little shocking nonetheless. Also, the smell was a concentrated citrusy and cranberry sweetness.

Consistency:

Thick, like an old fashioned Tomato Paste.

Color:

Intense Dark Red:

Taste:

Flavor:

The cranberries are overwhelming, but I do notice the ginger and the agave adds complexity to the sweetness. This is far too salty, and I like salt.

Heat:

7 out of 10. This is much hotter than I expected, as the individual pods were all <100,000 scovilles. I suspect that my pod to other ingredients ratio was high for a sauce.

Overall impression:

This is a good base formula, but far too salty and too much cranberry flavor. Next season when I have more of the same pods, I will use the same ingredients, but modify the ratios as follows:

Salt 1/4 of the current ratio
Cranberries 1/2 the current ratio
Pods 1.5 times the current ratio

Not bad for my first sauce!

photo5-3.jpg

photo2-4.jpg

photo3-4.jpg

photo4-2.jpg

Agree with others - if you want it more "saucy" add some H20, lemon juice, cider or white vinegar, or some combination of those things.

Not a lot you can do for the salt, sadly. But hey - that's how you learn right? Your 1st batch is probably closer to the mark than mine was.

I'd suggest for your next batch you start with 1/2 the salt, then gradually add more (also suggest tasting in between adds - like add 10% more salt, heat to 190, take a tsp, cool it, taste it, repeat as needed)

Last recommendation - you don't really need to boil to kill the nasties - pasteurization at 190 degrees is fine. Just below boil, ~10-15 mins at 190 throughout (stirred up, temp taken) is going to be fine. Boiling does 3 things that I think are undesirable - 1. it can scald the sauce on the bottom or edges of the pot. This can leave bitter aftertastes. 2. creates inconsistencies batch to batch - it can overcook some of your ingredients too. And 3. (and more relevant to your batch here) it can cause liquids to burn off, thus reducing your sauces. You lose a lot of moisture from boiling as opposed to pasteurizing at 190. For that reason I always keep my pots covered for home/hobby batches.

hope this helps! :cheers:

Ok - My sauce is shelf stable:

I bought this tester:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005H78ZI0

I followed the directions to calibrate the unit to 7.0, using the supplied solution. I then tested my hot paste. It came in at a low 3.1! I verified this with 2 more runs, getting the exact reading.

Back